Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Koon's Service Department (Tysons Corner, VA)

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 09:56 PM
irpete
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shortly after I received my 2014 back in Oct 2013 I had to have the rear end replaced. I was one of the ones with little to no fluid from the factory. At the time a neighbor and fellow Vette owner recommended Ted Britt Chevy in Sterling. He said the Vette guy there was outstanding. I don't remember his name but he did a nice job on my repair. I've been back a couple of times for firmware updates and oil change as so far so good.

When I was in the market for my Stingray I visited Mike at Criswell. I liked him but his list was a little too long for my timeframe so I went with one of the other forum dealers. Should I be able to convince the wife in a Z06 in a year or two I will be calling Mike.
Old 01-03-2015, 11:35 AM
fredmills
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 1KULC7
What a poor excuse of s service department and customer service. On December 31 I drove my 2013 Camaro RS, which has sat idle for two months, that I purchase from Koons on my way to work, it was VERY early in the morning around 6:45 AM. The Check Engine Light came on when I was driving to work, and stayed on, since Koons was on the way to work, I decided to go there and have them check the code to see how serious it was. Since I have not driven the car for a couple of months, I figured it would be something minor, like dirty O2 or MAF, which I could clean easily, but just wanted to make sure it was nothing more serious to be sure and the car is under warranty. Since we where driving the Camaro on a trip for New Years after work, just wanted to make sure. So, I drive into the the service lanes, NO other customers are there at all, I am the only one in the entire service entry area. I sit in the car in front of the service reps desk, as that is how they prefer you to do, they are suppose to come out to your car to greet you and help you. Well he is standing there gawking at me, so I get out of the car and explain to him the light came out and could please he put a Snapon Diagnostic Reader on and tell me the code, as my wife and I were on our way to work and plan to go away after work for New Years and we were going to drive the Camaro, told him I was concerned until I knew what the code was. He told me, remember NO OTHER customers are in the whole six lane service area, they are JAMMED at the moment, could not take me today, and the earliest appointment would be Friday, that I would have to come back on a scheduled appointment. I asked one more time if he just could get the code to determine if it was serious enough that I would not take the Camaro on the trip, told me he was too busy. Said fine, and made an appointment for Friday just in case. I drove three blocks down the street to a friend that has a Snapon diagnostic tool, found the code, (P0171) which upon further inspection I found the problem in about two minutes, under the manifold cover a vacuum tube on the rear of the intake manifold, slipped off the fitting, put the tube back on, and the code cleared.

This is why GM has problems. I WILL NEVER BRING MY CAMARO BACK THERE FOR SERVICE, Mike Furman hope you are reading this because you got another Camaro Customer too (I bought my C7 from Mike), I will not deal with Koons again...and to think just a few weeks ago I went to bat for them on this very forum talking about the mark ups on the yellow Z06 they have on the showroom floor.

What a joke Koons is....I use to buy cars there in the 80's they screwed me over with a Camaro in 1985, I NEVER returned until I bought this Camaro and a Buick Encore from them, but NEVER AGAIN. I will stay with Criswell, even though its a drive for me, Criswell has never screwed me over. NOT telling people not to buy or visit Koons, just relating what happened to me, and that could happen to you.....
You are absolutely right about Koons.
Old 01-03-2015, 11:59 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,296 Likes on 13,969 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

The idea about printing this thread out and giving it to the dealership GM is not a bad one. Feedback like this may result in changes being made, hopefully for the better.
Old 01-03-2015, 01:23 PM
Allpro
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I believe the service advisors are compensated with good service reviews by their customers.Perhaps the advisor at Koons is not interested and is only interested in punching his clock and showing up for work.I would assume the service manager or dealer himself would feel different about poor service reports?
Old 01-03-2015, 01:45 PM
georgied
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Maybe some member with more current knowledge than I have could chime in but in past days there was a "bonus" from GM associated with a perfect service record. If any customer gave the service dept. anything less than a "completely satisfied" rating, they lost the bonus for that month. That's a pretty high mountain to climb so maybe most never get the bonus anyway. I still get asked every time I use the service dept. to be sure and give them a "completely satisfied" rating if I should receive a survey. Now, I don't always get a survey and asking me for a good rating is pointless but it can be a powerful tool. If I get my car back and there is something wrong I will often go back and visit the service manager and tell him about the problem and my intention to give them a lessor rating. I have always had the problem taken care of with great urgency and concern and usually with a free service to boot. Of course the OP won't get a survey for his "drive by" but a complaint to GM will pretty much do the same thing. If a dealer is so bad that they never get the bonus anyway, I guess it won't amount to much. I realize this tool has limited value but use it anyway every time you can.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:28 AM
1KULC7
Le Mans Master

Received 313 Likes on 136 Posts

Georgied, I understand what you are saying, but to me Customer Service goes beyond just doing you job during a schedule appointment. It is supporting the customer in a time of need, and when you get an Engine Light, and all you are asking for is a code read, which would have taken (well took me two minutes), two minutes, that is customer service. This is not my first "wonderful" experience with Koons, but I will tell you this, its my last. They have lost me as a customer, and Criswell has earned my respect for the future. I deal with customer service, by simply bringing my business to a vendor that cares about customer service, and will offer a helping hand during a time of need. You spend $40+ for a new car, asking for a couple of minutes of time does not seem unreasonable to me. Your impression of a dealership starts with the service department after you buy the car, is that so difficult for Koons to understand?
Old 01-05-2015, 11:16 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,887 Posts

Originally Posted by 1KULC7
What a poor excuse of s service department and customer service. On December 31 I drove my 2013 Camaro RS, which has sat idle for two months, that I purchase from Koons on my way to work, it was VERY early in the morning around 6:45 AM. The Check Engine Light came on when I was driving to work, and stayed on, since Koons was on the way to work, I decided to go there and have them check the code to see how serious it was. Since I have not driven the car for a couple of months, I figured it would be something minor, like dirty O2 or MAF, which I could clean easily, but just wanted to make sure it was nothing more serious to be sure and the car is under warranty. Since we where driving the Camaro on a trip for New Years after work, just wanted to make sure. So, I drive into the the service lanes, NO other customers are there at all, I am the only one in the entire service entry area. I sit in the car in front of the service reps desk, as that is how they prefer you to do, they are suppose to come out to your car to greet you and help you. Well he is standing there gawking at me, so I get out of the car and explain to him the light came out and could please he put a Snapon Diagnostic Reader on and tell me the code, as my wife and I were on our way to work and plan to go away after work for New Years and we were going to drive the Camaro, told him I was concerned until I knew what the code was. He told me, remember NO OTHER customers are in the whole six lane service area, they are JAMMED at the moment, could not take me today, and the earliest appointment would be Friday, that I would have to come back on a scheduled appointment. I asked one more time if he just could get the code to determine if it was serious enough that I would not take the Camaro on the trip, told me he was too busy. Said fine, and made an appointment for Friday just in case. I drove three blocks down the street to a friend that has a Snapon diagnostic tool, found the code, (P0171) which upon further inspection I found the problem in about two minutes, under the manifold cover a vacuum tube on the rear of the intake manifold, slipped off the fitting, put the tube back on, and the code cleared.

This is why GM has problems. I WILL NEVER BRING MY CAMARO BACK THERE FOR SERVICE, Mike Furman hope you are reading this because you got another Camaro Customer too (I bought my C7 from Mike), I will not deal with Koons again...and to think just a few weeks ago I went to bat for them on this very forum talking about the mark ups on the yellow Z06 they have on the showroom floor.

What a joke Koons is....I use to buy cars there in the 80's they screwed me over with a Camaro in 1985, I NEVER returned until I bought this Camaro and a Buick Encore from them, but NEVER AGAIN. I will stay with Criswell, even though its a drive for me, Criswell has never screwed me over. NOT telling people not to buy or visit Koons, just relating what happened to me, and that could happen to you.....
Excellent testimonial you posted. Thank you!
Old 02-24-2015, 11:27 AM
Under50
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Does anyone know where Joe malo works now in the northern va area?

Quick Reply: Koon's Service Department (Tysons Corner, VA)