Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

C7 Z06 vs. Hellcat - video

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 06:46 AM
Senecagreen
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by USAFPILOT
I guess it takes drag radials or slicks to outrun a HC on stock 275's. I thought the HC was supposed to have the traction problems? Too bad the HC owner didn't bring DR's to the track. I'm not sure about the gearing in that Z06.
At least that explains the roll results. For the price of a Z06 you could have a hellcat and a nice something else too
Old 01-08-2015, 06:25 PM
Stroker87
Melting Slicks

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts

well going true the pages I have to be honest it was entertaining!

c7z faster on the track, no traction, bad weather, the road was to straight, driver mod or what ever else you guys come up with. that car had his *** dragged in that video for what ever the reason was! a loss is a loss, in the world of street racing you get beat, you got beat! you dont shoot your mouth off with excuses you take it under the chin and try next time. I dont know if its sad a thing all you guys posted all those excuses or good like All for one and one for all?
Old 01-08-2015, 06:26 PM
GEODON
Team Owner

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Denstoy968

I just look at the 0-60 times that tells me which car is faster. Personally I dont care if your car is faster if were still racing 2 min later I dont care how many hp your car has a semi has 1000hp I dont care how qick you can do your turn or from 60-140mph that your car is faster bottom line from the time we are at a complete stop to 60 gives you more than enough time to prove me wrong and give you props that your car is faster. This may not be the right way to determine which car is and I use this word broadly faster if its not .1 second faster then please gtfo of my face

ITS HUGE!!!
thats what she said
Old 01-08-2015, 06:54 PM
JLinCA
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bladex10
That was hardly an accurate video. Get an auto Z and see how it turns out.
Yeah but isn't the 7 speed the trans to have ???
Old 01-08-2015, 07:09 PM
JLinCA
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
Hellcats bad @ss! Still rather have a z06...
I would never, ever buy a Dodge, no matter what they put in it. But, it was very sad seeing a new Z06 being walked like that, no matter what the circumstances or excuses
Old 01-08-2015, 07:46 PM
cerino2000
Le Mans Master

Received 134 Likes on 89 Posts

I am just hearing the hellcat just knocked off a 10.48 on drag radials in south texas. 11.05 on stock tires. No shiznit. Gathering more info!

Edinburg raceway facebook page has some info
Old 01-08-2015, 08:05 PM
therealviper
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by cerino2000
I am just hearing the hellcat just knocked off a 10.48 on drag radials in south texas. 11.05 on stock tires. No shiznit. Gathering more info!

So, its still butt ugly, but you can drive it and the wife , the kid and the dog to Wal-Mart afterwards, on the straight roads along the way at 45 mph and do some shopping ... w/o the top off...

Regards,

Viper
Old 01-08-2015, 08:12 PM
Hemi Dave
Melting Slicks

Received 459 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by cerino2000

I found the time slips........
Attached Images   
Old 01-08-2015, 08:34 PM
NineBall
Safety Car

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

NO way that a car traps 126 on stock tires, and then another goes 133 mph on drag radials at the same track, same day. Even the car on stock tires had traction, based on that 1.7x 60' time on the slip. The big mph difference tells us some power was added. That 126 is in line with the Hellcat we tested last weekend.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:05 PM
Hemi Dave
Melting Slicks

Received 459 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by NineBall
NO way that a car traps 126 on stock tires, and then another goes 133 mph on drag radials at the same track, same day. Even the car on stock tires had traction, based on that 1.7x 60' time on the slip. The big mph difference tells us some power was added. That 126 is in line with the Hellcat we tested last weekend.
They are swearing both cars were bone stock other than drag radials on one. The time slips show it was 2 different days.

They said they twisted a drive shaft on one and Detroit overnighted another one for them.

They will be at it again tomorrow to try for even better times.

I know the MPH pickup is eye popping...........
Old 01-08-2015, 09:56 PM
svtkeith
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Hemi Dave
I found the time slips........

Holy mother of Gawd!!..I agree that don't sound right but if it is facts and the car is stock that's crazy fast and for a 4400+ lbs car it's insane!!....
Old 01-08-2015, 10:29 PM
Steve Matz
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need different Cylinder Heads ?

If Chevy wants the Vette Engine to be king of the hill again; they are going to have to go with a canted valve cylinder head similar to the NASCAR RO7 racing head, Why they keep sticking with an inline valve head is beyond me. Sure the LS3/LS7/LS9/LT1/LT4 Flow good numbers but they will never flow as good as a Hemispherical Combustion Chamber like the SRT Challenger's Hemi engine or even a Semi-hemi head like the RO7 or MK lV Big Block heads.If NASCAR thought the inline valve head was better they would be using that configuration; Their Not ! Those engines unrestricted are putting out over 850hp with a flat tappet Cam so it should be no problem for Chevy Engineers to make a reliable 750hp street engine with the use of those Cylinder heads.

Can you imagine how much worse it would have been for the ZO6 if that SRT Hemi engine had been in the Viper which is already lighter with the V10. The Challenger is 915 lbs heavier than the ZO6. Still haven't figured Chrysler out on that one. The Viper to Dodge is what the Vette is to Chevrolet; so why do you put your premium engine in a Production Type Street Car that weighs close to 4500 lbs. Come on Chevy, that LS Design Engine should of have Canted-Valve heads years ago, Get with the Program; you embarrassing hardcore Vette People..LOL!
Attached Images   
Old 01-08-2015, 11:40 PM
blipit_
Pro

Received 300 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by NineBall
Hmm, now that raises some eyebrows.

Nineball is the same Hellcat from your drag strip day?
Old 01-09-2015, 07:37 AM
NineBall
Safety Car

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by blipit_
Hmm, now that raises some eyebrows.

Nineball is the same Hellcat from your drag strip day?
Not the same car. This one is over 5 hours away, close to Mexico.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:03 AM
FLATOUTVIPER
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car trapped 134.97 in the 1/4 but only ran 102 in the 1/8. 106mph in the 1/8 is pretty crazy for a terminal speed of 133.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:17 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Matz
If Chevy wants the Vette Engine to be king of the hill again; they are going to have to go with a canted valve cylinder head similar to the NASCAR RO7 racing head, Why they keep sticking with an inline valve head is beyond me. Sure the LS3/LS7/LS9/LT1/LT4 Flow good numbers but they will never flow as good as a Hemispherical Combustion Chamber like the SRT Challenger's Hemi engine or even a Semi-hemi head like the RO7 or MK lV Big Block heads.If NASCAR thought the inline valve head was better they would be using that configuration; Their Not ! Those engines unrestricted are putting out over 850hp with a flat tappet Cam so it should be no problem for Chevy Engineers to make a reliable 750hp street engine with the use of those Cylinder heads.

Can you imagine how much worse it would have been for the ZO6 if that SRT Hemi engine had been in the Viper which is already lighter with the V10. The Challenger is 915 lbs heavier than the ZO6. Still haven't figured Chrysler out on that one. The Viper to Dodge is what the Vette is to Chevrolet; so why do you put your premium engine in a Production Type Street Car that weighs close to 4500 lbs. Come on Chevy, that LS Design Engine should of have Canted-Valve heads years ago, Get with the Program; you embarrassing hardcore Vette People..LOL!

I don't think the supercharged hemi v8 fits in the viper engine bay and that's why there is no viper s/c hemi to run ....or so it's been said...

Would have been cool to offer that engine combo up.

I wouldn't go so far as to say gm engineers should be embarrassed about the LT4 or the z06. Gm is more focused on total package utilization vs government fuel economy etc....and determined 650 hp and tq to the ground was where they wanted to be.

Fords coming out with an 800 hp monster or so the rumors go...

should keep getting interesting as the manufacturers fight for sales.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:59 AM
mikeyc6
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OK, haven't been here in a few years because I haven't owned a Corvette since about 2008. But having owned two Corvettes (1999 and 2005 models) and two Challengers (2009 and 2015 SRT) I figured I'd put in my two pennies.

First of all, I find it very hard to believe that the second race only went to 110 MPH. The race was started at about 50 MPH (looks about right from the video), followed by 11 seconds of full throttle acceleration: Z06 let off after about 11.5 seconds. Both the Z06 and Hellcat will reach 135 to 140 MPH in 11.5 seconds starting at 50 MPH.

Being "active" on the Challenger forum since that's my current car, when I first saw the video, my response was that given the weight difference between the cars and the better aerodynamics of the Z06, the Z06 should have at least gained ground at some points during that 11.5 seconds. Instead the Hellcat creeped on the Z06 the entire time with the Z06 falling back very slowly the whole time. My conclusion was that there was something wrong with this run and maybe the Z06 had bad gas, the ECU was pulling power (I had read that it slows down when it heats up), or something.

Further research led me to my answer. When I saw the 186 MPH drag limited top speed of the Z06, that was part of the answer. The Hellcat actually has a better drag coefficient and is sleeker than the Z06. That floored me. I understand why (the emphasis on downforce on the Z06) but the Z06 top speed of 186 versus the Helcat's 199 tells part of the story. The faster you go, the less weight matters and the more advantage the Hellcat will have because you are doing more to push the air out of the way than you are to accelerate the mass of the car.

The second part of the story lies in the torque curve of the LS4 versus the Hemi. The Z06 actually develops more torque quicker than the Hellcat (the Z06 has more torque at 3000 RPM for example). But up top (beyond about 4500 RPM), the Z06 actually gets a bit "wheezy". The Hellcat's torque curve from 4500 to 6000 RPM is so flat that it only differs by 20 lb/ft over that entire range. The Z06 loses 80 lb/ft of torque between 4500 and 6000 RPM and more than 100 lb/ft by the 6500 redline.

So for me, all things are now explained. Fat tires, lower weight, and a big low end make the Z06 faster on the strip because what counts there is how fast you can get moving. From a roll, both cars will spend most of their time at high RPM (4500 and up between each gear) and there, the Hellcat has the advantage due to the flat torque curve and (believe it or not) sleeker aerodynamics. Given the factors involved, I think the outcome in this video is going to be the norm for a Z06 racing a Hellcat from a roll. I'm sure we'll see some Z06 wins because the cars are pretty close from a roll, but it looks like the Z06 is going to be outgunned by the Hellcat from a roll more often than not.

BTW, divorce, having two kids 50% of the time, and only being able to own one nice car is the only reason a C7 isn't sitting in my garage right now. The 2015 SRT is the best of both worlds for me at the current time since being able to turn 12.3 @ 114 MPH (stock) and still being able to haul my two kids plus one friend each in the same car is a solution I can live with. Not to mention being able to go to Lowe's and throw a 20 gallon replacement water tank in the trunk. Once the ex is "paid off" though in another 3 years, I've got my eye on a nice C7.

Cheers to my fellow Vette friends.

Mike

Last edited by mikeyc6; 01-09-2015 at 09:03 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Z06 vs. Hellcat - video

Old 01-09-2015, 09:30 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

http://www.hellcat.org/threads/hellc...ace-fuel.2226/

More info there
Two different cars, different days. The 10.4 was MS109 and Drag tires. Still 10.4 with that is AMAZING.
Old 01-09-2015, 01:12 PM
FNBADAZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 634 Likes on 443 Posts

133 does seem a bit suspect, but given it was run at -1000+ below sea level and on MS109, I guess anything is possible. If the ECU handles A/F and timing at WOT like our cars, the MS109 could not only be eliminating any possible KR, but it could also be leaning the A/F a bit in open loop WOT operation. MS109 is not only oxygenated and runs leaner (stoic at 13.41), it also has a fairly fast burn rate (specifc gravity of .722). If those cars are tuned very rich for WOT operation like our cars, a full tank of MS109 would lean out the A/F at WOT in open loop.

I still think a 133 for a 4400 lbs car would still be out of reach ...even with dr's, mine shaft air, and race fuel.

Last edited by FNBADAZ06; 01-09-2015 at 01:23 PM.
Old 01-09-2015, 01:13 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeyc6
OK, haven't been here in a few years because I haven't owned a Corvette since about 2008. But having owned two Corvettes (1999 and 2005 models) and two Challengers (2009 and 2015 SRT) I figured I'd put in my two pennies.

First of all, I find it very hard to believe that the second race only went to 110 MPH. The race was started at about 50 MPH (looks about right from the video), followed by 11 seconds of full throttle acceleration: Z06 let off after about 11.5 seconds. Both the Z06 and Hellcat will reach 135 to 140 MPH in 11.5 seconds starting at 50 MPH.

Being "active" on the Challenger forum since that's my current car, when I first saw the video, my response was that given the weight difference between the cars and the better aerodynamics of the Z06, the Z06 should have at least gained ground at some points during that 11.5 seconds. Instead the Hellcat creeped on the Z06 the entire time with the Z06 falling back very slowly the whole time. My conclusion was that there was something wrong with this run and maybe the Z06 had bad gas, the ECU was pulling power (I had read that it slows down when it heats up), or something.

Further research led me to my answer. When I saw the 186 MPH drag limited top speed of the Z06, that was part of the answer. The Hellcat actually has a better drag coefficient and is sleeker than the Z06. That floored me. I understand why (the emphasis on downforce on the Z06) but the Z06 top speed of 186 versus the Helcat's 199 tells part of the story. The faster you go, the less weight matters and the more advantage the Hellcat will have because you are doing more to push the air out of the way than you are to accelerate the mass of the car.

The second part of the story lies in the torque curve of the LS4 versus the Hemi. The Z06 actually develops more torque quicker than the Hellcat (the Z06 has more torque at 3000 RPM for example). But up top (beyond about 4500 RPM), the Z06 actually gets a bit "wheezy". The Hellcat's torque curve from 4500 to 6000 RPM is so flat that it only differs by 20 lb/ft over that entire range. The Z06 loses 80 lb/ft of torque between 4500 and 6000 RPM and more than 100 lb/ft by the 6500 redline.

So for me, all things are now explained. Fat tires, lower weight, and a big low end make the Z06 faster on the strip because what counts there is how fast you can get moving. From a roll, both cars will spend most of their time at high RPM (4500 and up between each gear) and there, the Hellcat has the advantage due to the flat torque curve and (believe it or not) sleeker aerodynamics. Given the factors involved, I think the outcome in this video is going to be the norm for a Z06 racing a Hellcat from a roll. I'm sure we'll see some Z06 wins because the cars are pretty close from a roll, but it looks like the Z06 is going to be outgunned by the Hellcat from a roll more often than not.

BTW, divorce, having two kids 50% of the time, and only being able to own one nice car is the only reason a C7 isn't sitting in my garage right now. The 2015 SRT is the best of both worlds for me at the current time since being able to turn 12.3 @ 114 MPH (stock) and still being able to haul my two kids plus one friend each in the same car is a solution I can live with. Not to mention being able to go to Lowe's and throw a 20 gallon replacement water tank in the trunk. Once the ex is "paid off" though in another 3 years, I've got my eye on a nice C7.

Cheers to my fellow Vette friends.

Mike
Good insight Mike....and it's cool in three years the ex will be less of an issue..

The SRT challenger rocks....

Enjoy.

Quick Reply: C7 Z06 vs. Hellcat - video