Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

New Viper video. How they make it.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 02:56 PM
NineBall
Safety Car

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

Default New Viper video. How they make it.

The true car enthusiasts here will appreciate this 20 minute video. Even some of the Viper fans will learn something about these cars.

They also announced today, that they will be doing full custom 1-of-1 builds on the Viper. You pick the color you want, you pick the stripe color, you pick the interior color, etc... This will truly sweet.

http://www.drivesrt.com/2015/viper/1of1

It starts with a 2015 Viper GT. That’s where you come in. Choose from:
- 8,000 hand-painted custom paint colors
- 24,000 hand-painted custom stripes
- SRT or GTS Hood
- Carbon Fiber Package
- 6 Aero Packages
- Carbon Fiber X-Brace
- TA Package
- TA 2.0 Package
- 10 Wheel options
- A host of standalone options

Last edited by NineBall; 01-08-2015 at 03:06 PM.
Old 01-08-2015, 03:46 PM
Callsign_Vega
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

I have to admit, that's pretty freaking cool.

I'm still debating between a TA2.0 which I can get for about $107K or a Z06 with my options for $104K.

The Viper has the bad-***'ness looks and appeal but the Z06 has the comfort and livability. So hard to choose!
Old 01-08-2015, 04:51 PM
NineBall
Safety Car

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Callsign_Vega
I have to admit, that's pretty freaking cool.

I'm still debating between a TA2.0 which I can get for about $107K or a Z06 with my options for $104K.

The Viper has the bad-***'ness looks and appeal but the Z06 has the comfort and livability. So hard to choose!
You should go test drive a 2013+, they are much nicer than the older cars. My wife daily drove our 2013 Viper, she put 10K miles on it in one year. No complaints. We traded it in for a 2014. They are every bit as comfortable as a Corvette, now. My Gen 3, not so much.
Old 01-08-2015, 05:46 PM
Bluedevil15
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dear god...
Attached Images  
Old 01-08-2015, 10:33 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by NineBall
The true car enthusiasts here will appreciate this 20 minute video. Even some of the Viper fans will learn something about these cars.

They also announced today, that they will be doing full custom 1-of-1 builds on the Viper. You pick the color you want, you pick the stripe color, you pick the interior color, etc... This will truly sweet.

- SRT or GTS Hood
- Carbon Fiber Package
- 6 Aero Packages
- Carbon Fiber X-Brace
- TA Package
- TA 2.0 Package
- 10 Wheel options

Dodge Viper: DNA of a Supercar - YouTube
Thanks for the heads up, I have been to the Connor plant in the past and was blown away how top notch these cars have always been built, it looks like they have taken it to new levels.
I'm loving the custom build thing, it will make it real easy for me, pick color... Black , SRT hood ,14 TA package which should include sidewinder wheels as all the other wheels are not an option for me unless they offer another lightweight badass looking wheel) , and an ACR looking single stripe(I'm dying to see the stripe combos)
Old 01-08-2015, 11:12 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Bluedevil15
Dear god...
I have zero clue what you are trying to say in you're post
Old 01-08-2015, 11:31 PM
blipit_
Pro

Received 300 Likes on 122 Posts

You should go test drive a 2013+, they are much nicer than the older cars. My wife daily drove our 2013 Viper, she put 10K miles on it in one year. No complaints. We traded it in for a 2014. They are every bit as comfortable as a Corvette, now. My Gen 3, not so much.
Why do all the reviews always say the opposite? I am remeber Chris Lago saying it was uncomfortable, loud, etc. Not trying to start an argument, just genuinely curious.

Do you daily your TA? The new Z07 definitely has a GT quality to it.

Last edited by blipit_; 01-08-2015 at 11:48 PM.
Old 01-09-2015, 12:27 AM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

Great vid. As stated, true enthusiasts will enjoy.
Old 01-09-2015, 12:41 AM
tracyda
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am amazed on how people put so much faith in reviews. Person should go drive both to determine what they think. Viper has a better interior and exterior quality, but is also louder and a bitter stiffer and more difficult to get in/out of and poorer rear visibility. In the Viper, you feel the car surround you like you are part of it and in the vette you feel more like you are sitting on it (like most typical cars) Not saying one is better than the other, just very different feels and thus reviewers can be very misleading in describing the difference based upon their preferences.

Not sure what "GT quality" means exactly

Originally Posted by blipit_
Why do all the reviews always say the opposite? I am remeber Chris Lago saying it was uncomfortable, loud, etc. Not trying to start an argument, just genuinely curious.

Old 01-09-2015, 12:46 AM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Forget what some else's opinion, just go drive a one, they ride nothing compared to previous gens, my gen 2 rides like Fred flindstones mobile compared to it, then gen 3's and 4's are beter but not the huge gap that the gen 5 has over every gen car, they have fixed all those issues.
Old 01-09-2015, 12:51 AM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by tracyda
I am amazed on how people put so much faith in reviews. Person should go drive both to determine what they think. Viper has a better interior and exterior quality, but is also louder and a bitter stiffer and more difficult to get in/out of and poorer rear visibility. In the Viper, you feel the car surround you like you are part of it and in the vette you feel more like you are sitting on it (like most typical cars) Not saying one is better than the other, just very different feels and thus reviewers can be very misleading in describing the difference based upon their preferences.

The is srt, gt, and Gts , the GT starts at 95 as it comes with more standard options.
Old 01-09-2015, 01:15 AM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by NytmereZ
Forget what some else's opinion, just go drive a one, .

EXACTLY THIS

I don't even pay attn to the magazine writers opinions on much anymore...
Old 01-09-2015, 01:22 AM
blipit_
Pro

Received 300 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by tracyda

I think you completely misunderstood what I was asking or what nineball was referring to. My question was strictly in relation to "comfort". Is the Viper as comfortable as the new Z06? I have had a couple extended test drives in the Z06. Only driven a Gen 4 Viper. But you didn't make the new Viper sound comfortable, saying it is louder, stiffer, harder to get in of out of, poor visability.

I think you went off on the "quality" tangent because I said the Z06 had a GT quality. In that I meant it had grand tourer vibe, meaning I felt when driving the Z06 I could drive it cross country no problem. I was very comfortable, pop on the ventilated seats and go. The GT quality comment had nothing to do with fit/finish or one feeling more high end than the other. Strictly a comment about comfort while driving for extended periods of time.

Originally Posted by NytmereZ
Forget what some else's opinion, just go drive a one, they ride nothing compared to previous gens, my gen 2 rides like Fred flindstones mobile compared to it, then gen 3's and 4's are beter but not the huge gap that the gen 5 has over every gen car, they have fixed all those issues.
I hear ya. When the weather warms up, maybe I can find a dealer that will allow an extended test drive.

I just find it odd that basically every review says the Viper has compromises, but you learn to live with them as it is a performance car.

Last edited by blipit_; 01-09-2015 at 01:36 AM.
Old 01-09-2015, 01:40 AM
Callsign_Vega
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm picking up what you guys are putting down.

The Viper IMO is the better looking car, it's lower volume, generally better built exterior and interior. It's also more simple, love that it's manual only, less bells and whistles, harsher, smaller cabin, more of a traditional hardcore sports car, more "special".

The Z06 is more of a mainstream car, it's more comfortable, easier to get in and out of, more room in the cabin and trunk, quieter, less harsh on the road, more gadgets and comfort like ventilated seats, HUD, video recorder, removable top etc..

I think for short trips and the track I'd take the Viper, but for longer trips the Z06. So for me cross shopping these babies is hard as I can only afford one!
Old 01-09-2015, 01:44 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,887 Posts

Freakin' awesome car !
Old 01-09-2015, 01:47 AM
tracyda
Instructor

Yep, you nailed the differences. If I wanted a comfortable car for long distances, neither of these two cars would be on my list. If you want something exciting and engaging at all speeds, the get the Viper. If you prefer a more generic comfortable feel, then get the vette. But if want something for long drives, I think you have many much better options out there, with of course giving up the extreme performance.

Originally Posted by Callsign_Vega
I'm picking up what you guys are putting down.

The Viper IMO is the better looking car, it's lower volume, generally better built exterior and interior. It's also more simple, love that it's manual only, less bells and whistles, harsher, smaller cabin, more of a traditional hardcore sports car, more "special".

The Z06 is more of a mainstream car, it's more comfortable, easier to get in and out of, more room in the cabin and trunk, quieter, less harsh on the road, more gadgets and comfort like ventilated seats, HUD, video recorder, removable top etc..

I think for short trips and the track I'd take the Viper, but for longer trips the Z06. So for me cross shopping these babies is hard as I can only afford one!
Old 01-09-2015, 01:52 AM
tracyda
Instructor

Gotcha. Comfort to me is once in the car and driving it. I will give what might appear to be an odd answer, but I think the Viper is more comfortable when on a track or driving spirited because it fits you like a glove. I think the Vette will be more comfortable in regular driving. Me personally, I would not get either car if looking for a comfortable car, but now I understand your question better.

I think you completely misunderstood what I was asking or what nineball was referring to. My question was strictly in relation to "comfort". Is the Viper as comfortable as the new Z06? I have had a couple extended test drives in the Z06. Only driven a Gen 4 Viper. But you didn't make the new Viper sound comfortable, saying it is louder, stiffer, harder to get in of out of, poor visability.

I think you went off on the "quality" tangent because I said the Z06 had a GT quality. In that I meant it had grand tourer vibe, meaning I felt when driving the Z06 I could drive it cross country no problem. I was very comfortable, pop on the ventilated seats and go. The GT quality comment had nothing to do with fit/finish or one feeling more high end than the other. Strictly a comment about comfort while driving for extended periods of time.

I hear ya. When the weather warms up, maybe I can find a dealer that will allow an extended test drive.

I just find it odd that basically every review says the Viper has compromises, but you learn to live with them as it is a performance car.

Get notified of new replies

To New Viper video. How they make it.

Old 01-09-2015, 03:01 AM
fasttoys
Melting Slicks

Received 1,260 Likes on 558 Posts

I love these Videos. My entire DVR is full of them I wish this was on TV. Okay I am a big car nut my new Z06 is my 50th car and my 3rd American sports car I have ever owned. I owned a Gen 4 Viper and did not feel the Gen 5 to be a drastic enough change for me to jump over. I feel this customization to be a very cool idea that should get more people into dealers lotts for a even more exclusive car. Anyway thanks for the Video
Dodge Launching Viper Customization Program

I read the below article:
Jan 8, 2015 Byron Pope | WardsAuto

Customers will be able to choose between 8,000 exterior color options, 24,000 custom stripe colors, 10 wheel options, 16 interior trims and six aero packages.

Customizable ’15 Dodge Viper GTC starts at $94,995.

Dodge Dart May Get Performance Boost
2014 Fiat Chrysler SEMA Preview
Dodge Undergoes Brand ‘Purification’

AUBURN HILLS, MI – Dodge unveils its “1-of-1” customization program for the Viper sports car that promises buyers a one-off vehicle based on their preferences, including color and wheel choices, interior trim, aero packages and a host of stand-alone options.

The automaker says the each new hand-built ’15 Dodge Viper GTC model can be customer-tailored online with more than 25 million unique build combinations, and once that configuration is built, it cannot be ordered by another customer until the next model year.

“Because every Viper is hand crafted with such an extreme level of detail, we have the unique opportunity to make each one even more special by giving buyers the opportunity to customize each vehicle to their exact specifications,” says Tim Kuniskis, president and CEO-Dodge and SRT, FCA North America.

Customers will be able to choose between 8,000 exterior color options, 24,000 custom stripe colors, 10 wheel options, 16 interior trims and six aero packages.

Dodge will let buyers confirm their color selection by providing a complimentary miniature, roughed-out car body painted in the customer’s choice.

The customization program is available exclusively for customer orders, not for dealer stock. Customers can design their vehicle through the Viper customizer at www.driveSRT.com.

Once their vehicle is ordered, buyers will be able to track their Viper as it is built at the automaker’s Conner Avenue assembly plant in Detroit via the website and a new concierge service that will be available to answer questions and provide insights, stories, news and images.

The Viper Owners’ Portal allows customers to follow the build process of their car, getting regular updates on its progress. For example, a customer would be notified once his car’s handcrafted carbon-fiber body panels were completed or the 8.4L V-10 engine was assembled.

Once the vehicle is built, owners can decide how they want their vehicle delivered. Options include rapid transport to the dealer, can pick their car up directly at the Conner Avenue facility, where buyers can take a plant tour.

Production of the ’15 Dodge Viper is scheduled to begin in the second quarter. The starting price of the GTC model available for online customization is $94,995.

Last edited by fasttoys; 01-09-2015 at 03:47 AM.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:05 PM
svtkeith
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

- SRT or GTS Hood
- Carbon Fiber Package
- 6 Aero Packages
- Carbon Fiber X-Brace
- TA Package
- TA 2.0 Package
- 10 Wheel options

Dodge Viper: DNA of a Supercar - YouTube

Awesome vid awesome car!! thanks for sharing this....
Old 01-10-2015, 11:08 AM
Vernon
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 338 Posts

[QUOTE=NineBall;1588673739]The true car enthusiasts here will appreciate this 20 minute video. Even some of the Viper fans will learn something about these cars.

WOW!
Thank you for the thoroughly entertaining and informative video...it certainly stirred my enthusiast's soul!

I've been drawn to the Viper as a purchase option for a very long time and associate historically exclusive, high performance, low production # vehicles as an appealing character in my purchase consideration. Interestingly, I noted the SHELBY street sign in one video scene.

The Viper TA 2.0 package is a purchase consideration that appeals to my palate. I found the GEN 4 ACR package very appealing.

Any more concrete news/evidence that Dodge might 'up' the HP for the production VIPER?

Again, thanks for sharing this great video.

Quick Reply: New Viper video. How they make it.