Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Hellcat ran a 10.48

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 12:15 PM
Hemi Dave
Melting Slicks

Received 459 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Blvdbrawler
Praying huh? That pig aint running 10.48 nothing and until theres proof its all..

I think the only proof that would suffice for you is if Mero drove the Hellcat to a mid 10 sec 1/4 mile and nothing less......

Last edited by Hemi Dave; 01-10-2015 at 12:22 PM.
Old 01-10-2015, 12:21 PM
cerino2000
Le Mans Master

Received 134 Likes on 89 Posts

Here is what I posted on the challenger forum. I talked to all parties involved to gather the factual information. No nitrous. Tires and racing fuel which we know the racing fuel is essentially a moot point. The car is what it is. I own one. It is bad ***. Anyways:

Burns Motors is the dealer that provided the cars. They were both sold cars that the owners graciously allowed them to use to put this all together.

The driver is actually normally runs a blown 67 Camaro with solid experience. Supposedly is at the track every weekend running his car in the 8's.

RGB Lighting in McAllen TX does lighting and street car mods. They worked with the car and the driver.

The only modifications to the car were in fact drag radials and race fuel. In fact, BOTH cars had race fuel. So the 11.05 run was done with race fuel too.

The tires were the Nitto 555r's, here's the kicker: they were the factory size!! 275/40/20

Several tire pressures were tried. The optimal pressure was 17 lbs.

Third pass on the black car resulted in the attached pic.

Track was heavily prepped and a bit warmer temps on day two resulted in super track conditions. The guy said the track wanted to pull his shoes off.

It was originally reported that you had to roll it out some before you mash it but after talking to the driver he said the best runs came when you were in fact able to mash the gas right at the green light. Period!.

An important thing to note also is that he said they did not start getting good times / hookups until they turned the stability control completely off. He said once they got that off (which required them to hold the button for 8 seconds), then they started getting good runs. So the car was in track mode and stability control was turned completely off and this was a require,ent to get the car to start hooking up properly.

Driver confirmed that he put the car in track mode and turned stability control off. No other changes to suspension.

Launched as close as possible stalling it to 2000 rpm. Launch control NOT used.

Lastly, the driver used the paddles to get the best times out of it!! His shift rpm was 6200 RPM when he hit the paddle.

That's it!!

Tires and race fuel!!

Vids coming. They have to wait for a few things to happen before they can release them but they are coming.
Attached Images  
Old 01-10-2015, 12:56 PM
Bluedevil15
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hellcat could run a 9 second 1/4 mile stock and i would never even dream about owning one rather than my Zee
Old 01-10-2015, 01:08 PM
Hemi Dave
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Bluedevil15
hellcat could run a 9 second 1/4 mile stock and i would never even dream about owning one rather than my Zee
That's good because Fatcats need "roll race prey" to feed on.

I couldn't resist...it was too easy.....
Old 01-10-2015, 04:33 PM
blipit_
Pro

Received 300 Likes on 122 Posts

They did that to the drive shaft on stock power?

That is pathetic. That is what happens when you put a big motor into car and don't upgrade the remaining parts of the cheap base car to accept that power.

The motor is fantastic, too bad the cars they are going suck and are heavy as whales. Rather have it as a crate motor and put it in a proper car.
Old 01-10-2015, 05:43 PM
Hemi Dave
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by blipit_

That is pathetic. That is what happens when you put a big motor into car and don't upgrade the remaining parts of the cheap base car to accept that power.

The motor is fantastic, too bad the cars they are going suck and are heavy as whales. Rather have it as a crate motor and put it in a proper car.
Yes, the driveshaft failed on stock power and drag radials on a heavily prepped surface.

To be fair, the replacement driveshaft has not failed with several hard runs on it, nor did the driveshaft on the other Hellcat. So it's more likely that the driveshaft that failed was bad from the factory. Time will tell for sure.
Old 01-10-2015, 05:49 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Hemi Dave
I think the only proof that would suffice for you is if Mero drove the Hellcat to a mid 10 sec 1/4 mile and nothing less......
That wouldn't do it either, God couldn't convince this guy.
Old 01-10-2015, 06:01 PM
Hemi Dave
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by NytmereZ
That wouldn't do it either, God couldn't convince this guy.
Well we are doomed then.....lol
Old 01-10-2015, 06:18 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

You are one of the many very new members that are to brand loyal to say anything better about any car except corvette.

As an owner of various high performance machines, I can tell you that no matter how strong you make it, high power always will break something, it is just a matter of time.
Cars, bikes, it does not matter, power will always find the weakest link at some point, some sooner than others.

I have broke many transmissions, half shafts, engines etc... It is the price you pay with high power.

Below was my most recent failure on a "bullet proof" build , while testing launching my 500+ hp turbo busa , I snapped the axle nut right off my swingarm.
The swingarm is a Mcintosh Pro aluminum arm, which is the strongest arm money can buy, this happened on my 6th test launch on the brand new arm, it only had dyno time on it.
Terry Mcintosh ended up making me a custom axle with a thicker inside diameter, but I know if that doesn't break something else will , on hard launches
Just goes to show the these things happen on anything high powered

Last edited by NytmereZ; 02-12-2015 at 10:02 PM.
Old 01-10-2015, 06:26 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by MVR 155
You are correct, I didn't consider the oxygenated race fuels available..... if the conditions you cite do exist then it would most certainly be helpful in achieving some additional power.... still not another 7mph I'm afraid. Hence my earlier statement that I believe it's a factor of many different things being perfect weather, a strong running car, great track prep and possibility of running race gas such as MS109 and the car being able to take advantage of it. 10.48@133mph is definitely a huge accomplishment with what would be considered a stock car on a tire..... hence the reason I'm looking to see some additional information here as it's not a typical result.
This is off subject but did you by any chance ever own a very fast 96 grand sport?
Old 01-10-2015, 06:40 PM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

What of the grenaded LT4 with 891 miles on it? I think that is beyond pathetic. Better a blown Driveshaft than an engine.

Maybe the C7 Z06 is a great car with a lousy engine by your goofy logic.

And the Hellcat is overachieving at this point not under achieving like some "Other car"
Old 01-10-2015, 06:53 PM
MVR 155
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In XI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Originally Posted by NytmereZ
This is off subject but did you by any chance ever own a very fast 96 grand sport?
Yes sir, that was my car. It was running 10.9x's at 127-128mph.
Old 01-10-2015, 08:16 PM
Dr. Jamie
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone know what "race fuel" was used in the subject Hellcats?
Old 01-10-2015, 08:48 PM
FLATOUTVIPER
Racer

Originally Posted by Dr. GMPP
Two stock hellcats both on 109 one goes 11.0@127 the other goes 10.48@133, that make sense lol?
Old 01-10-2015, 09:58 PM
Silverspeed
Team Owner

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13, '15

Originally Posted by Dr. GMPP
VP Motorsport 109

Originally Posted by FLATOUTVIPER
Two stock hellcats both on 109 one goes 11.0@127 the other goes 10.48@133, that make sense lol?
The latter had drag radials, the other didnt. Trap Speed at the 1/8 for the drag tired car was high as well.
Old 01-10-2015, 10:01 PM
Silverspeed
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '13, '15

Originally Posted by White Out
here are a few other vehicles' common driveline issues:

5 speed WRX's will destroy a gearbox on stock power/tires
f-body LS1 cars will destroy a rear diff on stock power/tires
EVO's will destroy a center diff on stock power/tires
Z3's will rip the rear diff out of the car
early GTR gearbox's did well
Lambo/Ferrari clutches
C5/C6 clutch issues without constantl bleeding
If I remember correctly, there were also issues of early C6's shattering differential housings on hard launches as well.
Old 01-10-2015, 10:06 PM
FLATOUTVIPER
Racer

I understand although the 10.4 car trapped 106 in the 1/8 and the street tire car trapped 100 I believe even though it cut a solid 60' that's a huge jump in MPH by the 1/8. 2mph maybe 6 seems pretty crazy.

Originally Posted by Silverspeed
VP Motorsport 109

The latter had drag radials, the other didnt. Trap Speed at the 1/8 for the drag tired car was high as well.

Get notified of new replies

To Hellcat ran a 10.48

Old 01-10-2015, 10:34 PM
Silverspeed
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '13, '15

Originally Posted by FLATOUTVIPER
I understand although the 10.4 car trapped 106 in the 1/8 and the street tire car trapped 100 I believe even though it cut a solid 60' that's a huge jump in MPH by the 1/8. 2mph maybe 6 seems pretty crazy.
I agree. I bet a lot of Hellcat owners will be buying some MS109 looking for similar results.
Old 01-10-2015, 10:49 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Silverspeed
If I remember correctly, there were also issues of early C6's shattering differential housings on hard launches as well.
First year 2006 C6 Z06 also had weak rear half shafts which were prone to snapping and beefed up in subsequent years. That's why it always make sense to wait for a 2nd or 3rd year car, as these weak links are usually addressed and upgraded, and if the Hellcat has a problem breaking drive shafts, Mopar will step-up and will come out with a stronger one in subsequent model years.

A lot of you folks are going to be pretty shocked at how fast that fat kitty is going to be in a drag race, with good sticky drag radials or a full drag slick. 10.5s on a good prepped track and good air is going to happen for the Hellcat A8 and she will rip-off 10.7s all day long (and then I am going to have to have one as my daily driver, replacing my 2008 First Edition Challenger SRt8).

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 01-11-2015 at 01:17 PM.
Old 01-10-2015, 10:51 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

those are great drag cars, how do they do on a road course I wonder?

Challenger boys the ONLY thing the fatcat has going for it is a straight line speed, how does it corner and brake, you know, the other elements of racing? Let me know when you come up with an answer, I'll be here waiting.

When a base C7 with 152 less hp can beat it around any road coarse, that says something........

Last edited by themonk; 01-10-2015 at 10:53 PM.

Quick Reply: Hellcat ran a 10.48