Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

2013-2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee....

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 01:23 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Default 2013-2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee....

Anybody have any experience with one that is V-8 powered, more specifically, the gas mileage? I'm looking for a new winter DD/summer utility vehicle, 4x4. Since performance in snow is a big priority, I want something with a limited slip rear axle. Unfortunately, the only way you can get an LSD in a Grand Cherokee, is if you order the "Off Road Adventure" package, in conjunction with the V-8. My only issue is, the factory lists the V-6 at 24 MPG on the highway, while the V-8 is listed at only 20.

I realize that I don't drive thousands of miles a year, but still, 4 MPG can be significant...
Old 01-14-2015, 03:20 PM
Callsign_Vega
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

It's a no brainer, get the diesel. It's the best for off-roading and get's the best gas mileage. I drove from NC to Chicago at 80MPH in mine and averaged 28 MPG.
Old 01-14-2015, 03:54 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,447 Likes on 2,803 Posts

I had a 2011 v8 4x4 and averaged 21 highway. The v6 was not enough engine for the vehicle imo, granted I had a loaded out Overland that weight 5200 pounds. The v6 was sluggish, the V8 was not.

The diesel is nice but extremely expensive, and with the low cost of gas and high cost of diesel, you'll never make that difference back. Good vehicles, but you can get better fuel economy in a Tahoe or Suburban. The jeep is way nicer though.
Old 01-14-2015, 04:27 PM
Callsign_Vega
Burning Brakes

Diesel just isn't about fuel price "payback". It also has better driving dynamics having all it's grunt low in the RPM range for off-road and normal driving. Effortlessly pulls along at highway speeds. If you tow, the diesel is a no-brainer.

Engine is more robust and will last longer and the vehicle has higher resale value. Diesels are also easy to chip, mine is at 520 ft/lb TQ and 340HP, it's a beast.
Old 01-14-2015, 06:36 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Thanks for the input, guys, but I'm not going off-road, at least not on purpose, and I also have a limited space problem, so a Tahoe won't fit. I was looking at the Mercedes CLK, but it just doesn't appeal to me, as it's TOO stubby, and no limited slip rear axle. The Nissan X-terra would also fit in the space I have, but it seems a little too crude, and even with a V-6, the Nissan gets the same fuel mileage as the V-8 Jeep.

I currently have a GMC Canyon 4x4, regular cab, and I'd really like another pick-up, for the utility value, but nobody makes a regular cab, mid-sized p/u anymore. A full size pick-up is too wide, for the space I have, so I'm kind of being forced into an SUV....
Old 01-14-2015, 11:48 PM
CropDuster
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bought the wife an Overland (V8, 4x4) back in July. Coming back from Atlanta it averaged 24MPG running 60-65 on state highways. Sucks around town, down to about 16mpg though.

We were in the same space predicament. It was the nicest, biggest thing we could fit in the garage. We've put about 5k miles on it so far and we love it.

Old 01-15-2015, 07:26 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Originally Posted by CropDuster
Bought the wife an Overland (V8, 4x4) back in July. Coming back from Atlanta it averaged 24MPG running 60-65 on state highways. Sucks around town, down to about 16mpg though.

We were in the same space predicament. It was the nicest, biggest thing we could fit in the garage. We've put about 5k miles on it so far and we love it.

Thanks for that input! I was really concerned, because the Jeep factory states the MPG figures as 16 city 20 highway.
Old 01-15-2015, 09:52 AM
CropDuster
Safety Car

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Thanks for that input! I was really concerned, because the Jeep factory states the MPG figures as 16 city 20 highway.
I think the key is to stay around 60 when possible so that it stays in 4 cyl mode. On the interstate running 75-80 it will be 20ish on all 8. The air suspension also lowers some when over 50mph, so it may contribute to a little better mpg than a model without it.
Old 01-15-2015, 01:55 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Originally Posted by CropDuster
I think the key is to stay around 60 when possible so that it stays in 4 cyl mode. On the interstate running 75-80 it will be 20ish on all 8. The air suspension also lowers some when over 50mph, so it may contribute to a little better mpg than a model without it.
Again, thanks for the info. I find it frustrating when I'm looking at spending $40K, possibly more, and can't get what I want. In this case, it's a simple ^&^%$## limited slip rear axle, without having to get a lot of other stuff.
Old 01-15-2015, 02:11 PM
CropDuster
Safety Car

Again, thanks for the info. I find it frustrating when I'm looking at spending $40K, possibly more, and can't get what I want. In this case, it's a simple ^&^%$## limited slip rear axle, without having to get a lot of other stuff.
I know all about it. I got the only blue V8 4x4 that I could find in the whole state of Georgia. V6s and 2WDs were a dime a dozen.
Old 01-15-2015, 05:47 PM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Location: Admit Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter Accusations.
Received 514 Likes on 346 Posts

Anybody have any experience with one that is V-8 powered, more specifically, the gas mileage? I'm looking for a new winter DD/summer utility vehicle, 4x4. Since performance in snow is a big priority, I want something with a limited slip rear axle. Unfortunately, the only way you can get an LSD in a Grand Cherokee, is if you order the "Off Road Adventure" package, in conjunction with the V-8.
FWIW, I drove an open rear Quadra-Trac equipped Grand Cherokee for 14 years in the North East and I never got stuck. I had it out in every major storm (usually on purpose) and it always pulled right through everything. An open rear is less complex than the LSD and it should last longer, if that is a concern for you. I sold the car with 130k on it and I never even had the rear end cover off. I loved that car.
Old 01-16-2015, 07:55 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Originally Posted by rbartick
FWIW, I drove an open rear Quadra-Trac equipped Grand Cherokee for 14 years in the North East and I never got stuck. I had it out in every major storm (usually on purpose) and it always pulled right through everything. An open rear is less complex than the LSD and it should last longer, if that is a concern for you. I sold the car with 130k on it and I never even had the rear end cover off. I loved that car.
That's good to know, but I'm a stubborn old fool, and my line of thought is if I'm going to buy a vehicle specifically for winter driving, I might as well get every available piece of ammunition, to fight the snow. The other problem for me, is I'm old enough to remember when a vehicle's options were offered a'la'carte, not as part of an extensive package, and a limited slip rear axle was a simple $50 optional extra.

Secondly, I just don't see how a "4x4" can be considered a true 4x4, without the limited slip rear end....
Old 01-16-2015, 11:31 AM
RedLS6
Drifting

Received 1,730 Likes on 783 Posts

I bought this 2014 Limited 4x4 Hemi last year. On a recent interstate trip, it pulled down right at 20mpg, doing between 80 and 85. I've never taken a trip with it at a steady 60-65mph, but I would expect the mileage would be much better, as CropDuster has shown. Around town, it averages 16-17mpg. When my wife drives it, the mileage is a little better, and when I drive it, it's a little worse.

We love the Jeep, so far. We looked at several high-end SUV's and kept coming back to the Jeep. The Hemi coupled with the ZF 8-speed is tough to beat. Playing around with the paddle shifts in sport mode in the Jeep actually helped convince me that I'd love the 8L90 in the new C7Z.

My only complaint is that the Satellite radio has been flaky (been to the dealer twice, replaced the entire head unit), and that some of the more useful controls are buried in sub-,menus in the electronic display, instead of on buttons where they're easily accessible (heated seats, heated steering wheel, and some others). The GPS also tends to lose the signal easily, in locations where my Silverado never loses signal.

I've driven it in snow, and deep sand in the Outer Banks. Snow has never presented a problem - I think I've driven in snow with it twice. Only time I've been stuck was in very deep, very soft sand going up a hill, but backing down and getting a run got me to the top. I've also crossed some short 10-15-foot long standing water areas in sandy access roads, that were about 2 feet deep in the middle and maybe a foot on the ends. I wouldn't recommend this on a regular basis, but it made it through.

Last edited by RedLS6; 01-16-2015 at 12:02 PM.
Old 01-16-2015, 01:46 PM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Secondly, I just don't see how a "4x4" can be considered a true 4x4, without the limited slip rear end....
Open rears are very common in Jeeps. I never had an issue and mine was out in some major storms.
Old 01-16-2015, 07:04 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Originally Posted by rbartick
Open rears are very common in Jeeps. I never had an issue and mine was out in some major storms.
I understand, but my previous 4x4, a Chevy S-10, as well as my current 4x4, the GMC Canyon, both were equipped with a locking rear axle, and within reason, were unstoppable in the winter storms I had to be out in. I like to be prepared for the worst, just in case. A personal fault, I guess.....
Old 01-17-2015, 06:52 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 735 Likes on 482 Posts

Both the wife and me have 2014 GC EcoDiesls, her's a Summit, mine a loaded Overland. Like them both a lot. I have 13,500 miles on mine in the 12 months I've owned it and have averaged 24 mpg. Yes diesel is more expensive than mid-grade or regular, but as others have said, the driving dynamics of this engine is great. From a roll the torque is fantastic, in fact I think it's rated higher than the Hemi, and even from a dig in Sport mode it will get up and go, especially when the turbo wakes up. Had a couple of minor issues with mine. Wife's had to have the main computer replaced but perfect since.
Bish
Old 01-18-2015, 09:53 AM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Mine was a bit older.

Get notified of new replies

To 2013-2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee....

Old 02-05-2015, 05:58 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Well, I bit the bullet today....

I ordered a Grand Cherokee Limited with the Hemi and Off Road Adventure II package. It's supposed to be in in 6-7 weeks....
Old 02-06-2015, 04:09 PM
Callsign_Vega
Burning Brakes

You're gonna love it.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:12 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Callsign_Vega
You're gonna love it.
Thanks, I hope so! I found myself in a dilemma, as I stated earlier, since I couldn't find a mid-sized, regular cab p/u, and I've gotten used to the utility value of having one. My wife wanted me to get something "spiffier", as we always go out for dinner on Saturday nights, and sometimes if it's snowy, I'll insist we go in my truck, which doesn't exactly make a grand entrance, at least according to her.

However, we took a GC home from the dealership yesterday, to see if it would fit in my garage, before we started any negotiations. As we pulled off the dealer's lot, my wife looked in the back, and finally realized what I've been saying all along, about the lack of carrying ability. However, it was a "sooner or later" situation for me, as I doubt anybody will be making the truck I currently have, in the future, so I decided to "suck it up", and move forward.

Quick Reply: 2013-2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee....