Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Ford to discontinue V8 engines in Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 07:34 AM
ZR JUAN
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Ford to discontinue V8 engines in Mustang

Sorry if a repost, did a quick search and didn't see anything. Think it'll happen?

http://horsepowerkings.com/sources-f...0-after-20187/
Old 01-18-2015, 03:49 AM
C5 Pewter Coupe
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

yep.. here's the new engine for the Mustang..

Old 01-18-2015, 03:00 PM
URBAN LEGEND
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Cylinder count means nothing. Motor intent does. What is the motor's mission? Have you ever revved an sport bike inline 4 to 14000 rpm and shifted to the next gear? I have. The last thing on my mind was the cylinder count.
Old 01-18-2015, 04:23 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Cam02ss
Sorry if a repost, did a quick search and didn't see anything. Think it'll happen?

http://horsepowerkings.com/sources-f...0-after-20187/
With the new Federal emissions getting stricter and stricter in the next 2 years and the tree huggers and liberals growing in numbers, I think the horsepower wars are we like we are living in 1969 right now, with only 2 more years left to go, just like when the muscle car ended in 1972.

Enjoy it while you can right now is GREAT time to be an American High Performance Car Enthusiast.
Old 01-18-2015, 06:16 PM
B Stead
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

The problem with leaving V8's are the engines available for replacement.

For instance, an inline-six and a boxer-six are perfect balance engines while a V6 is not a perfect balance engine. The V6 is improved by being 60 degrees instead of 90 degrees and improved with crankshaft counterweight design.

My idea to replace V8 engines in front-engine rear-wheel-drive cars is to use inline-six engines with rear mounted transaxles. The rear mounted transaxle makes room for the length of the inline-six.

BMW has begun replacing non-turbo inline-six engines with turbocharged four cylinder engines. So their inline-six engine is often a 3.0 turbocharged inline-six. But they don't have rear mounted transaxles but have long hoods.

MB went to V6 engines but still have some V8 engines.

Porsche has a perfect balance boxer-six in many of their cars.

Of course the suggested inline-six would be a twin overhead cam engine with four-valves-per-cylinder.

The next problem is that 2.4 four-cylinder engines are usually considered to be slow revving sedan engines and they do require counter-balancing shafts. A fast revving four-cylinder sports car engine is often 2.0 or smaller

Last edited by B Stead; 01-18-2015 at 06:44 PM.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:55 PM
hognutz
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the buzz. I have been looking at picking up a GT350 and beeing readin that 5.2L flat plane motor could be there last v8. not sure if it is true though.

It won't hurt the perfromance the GTR does just fine. It will elimiate it from a car I will look at though. I like my v8's.

Get notified of new replies

To Ford to discontinue V8 engines in Mustang