Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

MT : 2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 vs. 2015 Nissan GT-R Nismo Comparison

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 03:56 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by ck9887
http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/laguna_seca.html

At Laguna Seca, the Stingray is 4 seconds a lap slower than the base Viper and 2 seconds slower than a base GT-R
How come that stingray doesn't say Z51? Does anyone know if it was??
Old 02-16-2015, 07:04 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Callsign_Vega
Two words: Edmunds Journalist.
Edmunds journalist or not, it was the same driver, same track, I'm pretty sure they didn't make up these times.

http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/laguna_seca.html

At Laguna Seca, the Stingray is 4 seconds a lap slower than the base Viper and 2 seconds slower than a base GT-R
Like I said, it was for that day on that track....different drivers are going to post different times, this is no means an exact science. Maybe a week later someone else drove the Stringray and posted a faster time, who knows. I'm just posting what I read.
Old 02-16-2015, 07:17 PM
ck9887
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by themonk
Edmunds journalist or not, it was the same driver, same track, I'm pretty sure they didn't make up these times.

Like I said, it was for that day on that track....different drivers are going to post different times, this is no means an exact science. Maybe a week later someone else drove the Stringray and posted a faster time, who knows. I'm just posting what I read.
It was Randy Pobst who posted times for both cars at Laguna Seca. He is much more qualified to push a car to it's limits on the track than any edmunds journalist.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:03 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!

It was Randy Pobst who posted times for both cars at Laguna Seca. He is much more qualified to push a car to it's limits on the track than any edmunds journalist.
I'm not saying he couldn't beat the time, what I'm saying is that the same driver on the same day posted those times, it could've been 10 minutes for all I care it's the fact that the Stingray was close to the Viper and beat the rest of the field including a GT-R.....who drove it is inconsequential.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:21 PM
ck9887
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm not saying he couldn't beat the time, what I'm saying is that the same driver on the same day posted those times, it could've been 10 minutes for all I care it's the fact that the Stingray was close to the Viper and beat the rest of the field including a GT-R.....who drove it is inconsequential.
You are right. But keep in mind, the stingray is probably much easier to extract more of it potential out of than the Viper. It takes a very good driver to post a good lap time in a Viper. Which is why you see a much wider spread between the cars when you have a competent race car driver like Pobst behind the wheel....
Old 02-17-2015, 01:47 AM
themonk
Team Owner

You are right. But keep in mind, the stingray is probably much easier to extract more of it potential out of than the Viper. It takes a very good driver to post a good lap time in a Viper. Which is why you see a much wider spread between the cars when you have a competent race car driver like Pobst behind the wheel....
makes sense.....
Old 02-17-2015, 01:27 PM
Snake Plissken
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like said above, Vette is way easier to drive hard and reach limits sooner, Viper limits are way higher and can be pushed extremely hard which is why 99% of "journalist" that are used to driving Accords and trucks never get good times out of it b/c it scares the **** out of them, but they can get great times with say the Stingray for example as their comfortable pushing it. But with equal drivers, or at least a competent one in the Snake, nothing against the Ray as I've driven a friends on track, but it'll be decimation for it.

Gen V is much easier to drive and reach limits though then before, and its so smooth and razor sharp.... however those limits and speeds its capable of are still extremely high on a road course. I always picture journalist driving the Viper going like 80% throttle coming into a corner and just crapping their pants and slowing way down, when the car could be at 100% and smoothly braked and turned into and powered out as easy as a fat kid raiding a candy store, or even through a couple esses..... but that speed and grip is beyond some drivers limits

Last edited by Snake Plissken; 02-17-2015 at 01:32 PM.
Old 02-17-2015, 02:07 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Snake Plissken
Like said above, Vette is way easier to drive hard and reach limits sooner, Viper limits are way higher and can be pushed extremely hard which is why 99% of "journalist" that are used to driving Accords and trucks never get good times out of it b/c it scares the **** out of them, but they can get great times with say the Stingray for example as their comfortable pushing it. But with equal drivers, or at least a competent one in the Snake, nothing against the Ray as I've driven a friends on track, but it'll be decimation for it.

Gen V is much easier to drive and reach limits though then before, and its so smooth and razor sharp.... however those limits and speeds its capable of are still extremely high on a road course. I always picture journalist driving the Viper going like 80% throttle coming into a corner and just crapping their pants and slowing way down, when the car could be at 100% and smoothly braked and turned into and powered out as easy as a fat kid raiding a candy store, or even through a couple esses..... but that speed and grip is beyond some drivers limits
once again that makes total sense but you'd think that a superior track car would bring fourth more confidence in people's driving, skilled or unskilled after all, isn't that what a good car should do, bring out the best in people?
Old 02-17-2015, 02:45 PM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

once again that makes total sense but you'd think that a superior track car would bring fourth more confidence in people's driving, skilled or unskilled after all, isn't that what a good car should do, bring out the best in people?
Journalists test a car for a couple of days - an enthusiast buying a car will spend exponentially more time getting faster and taming the beast at the track. At Buttonwillow one of the instructors had a Viper and he could sling that sucker around the track like a Miata.

I think that is part of the fun and challenge of having a higher horsepower car. If you can't get any more out of the performance after a couple of days I would get bored and move onto something else.
Old 02-17-2015, 04:52 PM
Callsign_Vega
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Eh? Sports cars should be about emotion, creating skill and be entertaining. Who wants a car you just hop in, reach it's max potential quickly and then your done? Sounds very boring.
Old 02-17-2015, 08:16 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Eh? Sports cars should be about emotion, creating skill and be entertaining. Who wants a car you just hop in, reach it's max potential quickly and then your done? Sounds very boring.
so, are you talking about a road car that's good on a track or a track car that's good on the road? The Stingray is FIRST AND FOREMOST A ROAD CAR that happens to perform well on the track. The engineer's first job was to make the Stingray a car, a people transport, not a race car. You can't sit there and tell me that the Z51 does not require skill to push it too it's limits. The Stingray is such a good car that it doesn't require you to be a Randy Probst to have fun in it, it can get you out of trouble if you need it to or it can let you do what you want, that's the beauty of this car, if can be forgiving or it can be a bitch, your choice and it can also be a great cross county tourer, there's not too many cars out there today that can be both.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:21 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

so, are you talking about a road car that's good on a track or a track car that's good on the road? The Stingray is FIRST AND FOREMOST A ROAD CAR that happens to perform well on the track. The engineer's first job was to make the Stingray a car, a people transport, not a race car. You can't sit there and tell me that the Z51 does not require skill to push it too it's limits. The Stingray is such a good car that it doesn't require you to be a Randy Probst to have fun in it, it can get you out of trouble if you need it to or it can let you do what you want, that's the beauty of this car, if can be forgiving or it can be a bitch, your choice and it can also be a great cross county tourer, there's not too many cars out there today that can be both.
This thread is about Track times of a Nismo GTR vs Z06 corvette, I know people like to talk about how great their own car is, but the Stingray or its "cross county capability" really has nothing to do with this topic at all, and really is way out of its league in a test like this...sorry

Last edited by NytmereZ; 02-17-2015 at 10:33 PM.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:29 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Very true, but this doesn't apply to waxers.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:13 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Originally Posted by NytmereZ
This thread is about Track times of a Nismo GTR vs Z06 corvette, I know people like to talk about how great their own car is, but the Stingray or its "cross county capability" really has nothing to do with this topic at all, and really is way out of its league in a test like this...sorry
I really don't GAF what the thread topic is to be perfectly blunt, you don't know me very well but minute things like thread topics mean very little to me. You can break this thread down to a C7 vs GT-R in which case I posted a video showing a Stingray beating a GT-R around a track driven by the same person, skilled or not. I'm sure you've been here long enough to know that rarely a thread topic stays on track to the thread fruition.

No offence, that's just who I am.

Last edited by themonk; 02-18-2015 at 10:17 PM.

Quick Reply: MT : 2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 vs. 2015 Nissan GT-R Nismo Comparison