Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

New Lap record at Laguna Seca

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 01:57 PM
Crabbers
Le Mans Master

Received 116 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by NytmereZ
That is the standard excuse for the brand loyal corvette people, if people want to make these threads like the many Z06 vs ...... then cost shouldn't come into factor, even though I agree 100% that the real exotic cars mentioned should not ne in the same sentence as the vette.
Or, the flip side argument is "it costs so much less and is better than all these other cars 3X as expensive!", but when a more expensive car is faster it's "well it's so much more expensive so who cares?"

Can't have it both ways. There's no reasoning with these people though, they will formulate their opinions and stick to their guns no matter how contradictory it may be.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:44 PM
oicw
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wrong again soooo wrong, keep watching that TV , and where the hell did the hitler reference come from, tells me you are old.
Look, it's your opinion vs mine. Just funny that you think there's a definitely right vs wrong on the most controversial human topic - how to succeed.
Old 04-06-2015, 02:51 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by oicw
Look, it's your opinion vs mine. Just funny that you think there's a definitely right vs wrong on the most controversial human topic - how to succeed.
Well I was a professional athlete, and still train proffesional athletes, knowing(or thinking you know about them) is just rubbish.
Old 04-07-2015, 01:45 AM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

That is the standard excuse for the brand loyal corvette people, if people want to make these threads like the many Z06 vs ...... then cost shouldn't come into factor, even though I agree 100% that the real exotic cars mentioned should not ne in the same sentence as the vette.
Well it's not really an excuse, it's reality. Do you think GM had million dollar hyper cars in mind when they built the Z or any Corvette for that matter? Just because the Z has high horsepower that rivals many sports cars costing twice as much that doesn't mean that they are the target for the Z. When you compare cars you compare them by cost, simple, plus or minus I'd say 10k, factory specs, anything else is total BS.
Old 04-11-2015, 04:18 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

have real F1 cars run at LS?
Old 04-11-2015, 10:06 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Result from this test was that a new lap record (per Motor Trend, anyway) was set, but it wasn't by the P1:
918: 1:29.89
P1: 1:30.71

Shurshot posted the video here:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...at-laguna.html

From the article:
"The McLaren people change tire pressures. An engineer says the Pirellis take four or five adjustments before they settle. The P1 goes out for more laps and comes in for more adjustments. On goes another set of Trofeo Rs. More laps. More pressure changes. The best the P1 does is a 1:30.71.
Porsche reckons the 918 would be even faster with the same effort put into the McLaren's tires and pressures."

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...rformance.html

Originally Posted by skank
I did get to time the P1 though and the time was faster than the 918 time of last summers Best Drivers Car test in which the time was 1:30.97.
That 918 had a glitch which hindered acceleration past 140 mph during that test. Randy also set that time on his first flying timed lap.

"To the data we went, and the results were more impressive than we could've guessed: 1:30.97. Randy had taken 2.65 seconds off the production-car track record. And he'd done it on his first hot lap. Never mind that both subsequent laps, when the battery was depleted, each broke the record by more than a second."
http://www.motortrend.com/features/p...#ixzz3X3W9mehS
Old 04-11-2015, 11:01 PM
oicw
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dmaxx3500
Not a real race, but a publicity stunt by I think Toyota. They brought out a car for a weekend and turned in a 1:06:xx.

Then an Indy car beat it not long after. Sebastian Bourdais did a 1:05:xx.

I think an Audi R10 TDi did 1:12 or so.
Old 04-12-2015, 01:27 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Received 1,156 Likes on 516 Posts

Originally Posted by dmaxx3500
The Laguna Seca lap record was set by a Indycar in 2000 with Helio Castroneves in a time of 1:07.722. In 2004 during the Monterey Historics Ferrari Clienti brought a current F1 car and surprisingly didn't break the record of the Indycar. Two years later Toyota brought their current F1 car with test driver Ricardo Zonta and a large contingent of their F1 team to take advantage of Ferrari's prior downfall. Zonta reset the record with a time of 1:06.039 in August 20,2006. The very next spring Champcar was doing testing of their new Panoz DP01 and Sebastian Bourdais reset the record again with a time of 1:05.880 in March 10,2007. That record held until May 19,2012 when Marc Gene during the Ferrari Days event reset the current Lap Record to 1:05.786 in a 2003-GA with slicks on. Note that the 2003 F1 cars used the slower grooved slicks during that year. I talked to Marc Gene right before he went out and set that time. He commented that he thought he would be able to set a new record but sounded a little nervous in his voice. He was under pressure to break the time and couldn't get near Bourdais time in the two days prior. What's amazing is the Champcar time and the potential yearly improvements that would have taken place had Indycar used the DP01 vs the slow Honda Dallara's during the reunification. Here's the video on the new lap record. Note that they were using new Pirelli racing slicks vs the older grooved Bridgestones of the day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B09UtRkMa8s#t=238

Last edited by skank; 04-13-2015 at 01:37 PM.

Quick Reply: New Lap record at Laguna Seca