Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

GS Stripes on a Dodge?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 03:21 PM
myfunz
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Default GS Stripes on a Dodge?

I would like to know how did the dodge boys get the permission to use the Grand Sport's chevron stripes? Did GM feel bad for them and through them a bone?
Old 02-26-2015, 09:21 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by myfunz
I would like to know how did the dodge boys get the permission to use the Grand Sport's chevron stripes? Did GM feel bad for them and through them a bone?
Cunningham Race cars were the 1st cars to use racing stripes, Carroll Shelby was the second and were the 1st to be used on the street , so I would ask chevy how they got permission to use Shelby racing stripes on the c2 corvettes, due to the fact that Shelby gave the go for stripes on Viper, honestly your question is stupid, corvettes look terrible with stripes (except the 96 GS and the original 60's c2's)
viper was designed to be the modern day Shelby , shelby himself was supposed to help with the whole project, but he passed.

Know your history before you spat garbage, you are just another sour grape chevy fan boy trying to start crap.

Last edited by NytmereZ; 02-26-2015 at 09:37 PM.
Old 02-27-2015, 01:53 AM
WAwatchnut
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NytmereZ
Cunningham Race cars were the 1st cars to use racing stripes, Carroll Shelby was the second and were the 1st to be used on the street , so I would ask chevy how they got permission to use Shelby racing stripes on the c2 corvettes, due to the fact that Shelby gave the go for stripes on Viper, honestly your question is stupid, corvettes look terrible with stripes (except the 96 GS and the original 60's c2's)
viper was designed to be the modern day Shelby , shelby himself was supposed to help with the whole project, but he passed.

Know your history before you spat garbage, you are just another sour grape chevy fan boy trying to start crap.
Boy - that's kinda harsh! Lots of people don't know the history of the rookie stripes. Did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed????
Old 02-27-2015, 02:12 AM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I don't think those stripes are patented.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:30 AM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by themonk
I don't think those stripes are patented.
another good point that the OP should be aware of, but one thing is certain is that chevy wasn't the 1st to use stripes.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:01 AM
NineBall
Safety Car

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

Those fender hash mark stripes also started back in the 1960s on racecars, and many of them were just duct tape. They did that to distinguish between cars on the same race teams. Some had 1 stripe, 2 stripes, etc...

Not a Chevy thing. Even Fords and Mopars did that.
Old 02-27-2015, 02:05 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Where is the OP now.... My guess is his head buried in the sand for such a stupid topic., it's funny how the C7 corvette fanboys claim to have such hate for Viper, but can't stop talking about it.
Old 02-28-2015, 12:09 PM
myfunz
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by NineBall
Those fender hash mark stripes also started back in the 1960s on racecars, and many of them were just duct tape. They did that to distinguish between cars on the same race teams. Some had 1 stripe, 2 stripes, etc...

Not a Chevy thing. Even Fords and Mopars did that.
Thank you for clarifying where the stripes came from. But in the last twenty years with the return of the Grand Sport they where exclusively on corvette. It seems the Dodge picked up on it late in the game. Sorry to offended some people here in the forum that know it all with such a mindless question.
Old 02-28-2015, 12:51 PM
ChiliPepperGarage
Melting Slicks

Received 600 Likes on 316 Posts

Where is the OP now.... My guess is his head buried in the sand for such a stupid topic., it's funny how the C7 corvette fanboys claim to have such hate for Viper, but can't stop talking about it.
Yet, here you are on a Corvette forum!

My buddy has a Viper and it is a wonderful car. I like all cars regardless of the manufacturer and never understood the whole "your car sucks" mentality. I currently own Chevy's, Fords and Mopars.

That said, I can understand good nature ribbing between owners of different makes and take it as a fun poke. No need to get nasty or arrogant about it.
Attached Images  
Old 02-28-2015, 04:19 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!

OP's avi shows a C6......
Old 03-01-2015, 08:44 AM
NineBall
Safety Car

Thank you for clarifying where the stripes came from. But in the last twenty years with the return of the Grand Sport they where exclusively on corvette. It seems the Dodge picked up on it late in the game. Sorry to offended some people here in the forum that know it all with such a mindless question.
How about dual full-length stripes that reach the bottom of the bumper? Are these exclusively used on the Corvette in the past 20 years (or ever?)

Also, Ford Model T's all had black wheels. Therefore all black wheels are a Ford idea.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:49 AM
Witt748
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to offended some people here in the forum that know it all with such a mindless question.
Don't ask questions like a ***** and people wont respond to you like one.

I'm not a Dodge guy (or any brand loyalist), but now is not the time to get on your high horse about GM feeling bad for Dodge. Have you looked at the cars Dodge is putting out? (besides there stripes)? They are making GM look bad.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:15 PM
bubbaboy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Witt748
Don't ask questions like a ***** and people wont respond to you like one.

I'm not a Dodge guy (or any brand loyalist), but now is not the time to get on your high horse about GM feeling bad for Dodge. Have you looked at the cars Dodge is putting out? (besides there stripes)? They are making GM look bad.
I have to agree with you, he came out the gate hard on that one. JD
Old 03-01-2015, 08:32 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ChiliPepperGarage
Yet, here you are on a Corvette forum!

My buddy has a Viper and it is a wonderful car. I like all cars regardless of the manufacturer and never understood the whole "your car sucks" mentality. I currently own Chevy's, Fords and Mopars.

That said, I can understand good nature ribbing between owners of different makes and take it as a fun poke. No need to get nasty or arrogant about it.
There is always someone on here who has a buddy who owns a viper , guess what? I've had 6 corvettes and now going onto just my second viper, ribbing doesn't apply to me, my vettes to any other sports car ratio says that also, my 15 plus membership here, I've only ones one viper in those 7 years, and will own more corvettes, the C7 lineup just doesn't do it for me.

The attitude here is that you cannot own any other car except a vette that irritates me, along with the reviews of people who no nothing of the cars they speak off.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:57 AM
themonk
Team Owner

The attitude here is that you cannot own any other car except a vette that irritates me, along with the reviews of people who no nothing of the cars they speak off.
However, I've read a lot of your posts putting down the C7, Stingray and Z06........

I like the Viper however it's not in the cards for me right now, I definitely will get a GTS one day, or at least I hope to. The only car that I think is over hyped is the HC, yeah it's a fast car.......in a straight line but a lot of people in here seem to think it's the be all and end all of automobiledom. They watch a couple of YT vids of the HC doing a roll on race against a Z06 and all of a sudden they're the fastest car on the planet, fact, the Z06 A8 is faster than the HC to 60 as well as the 1/4 and when a reputable automobile reviewer does the test it will be proven without a doubt. Two dufuses doing a roll on race means squat to me, go to a track if you want to convince me either way.
Old 03-02-2015, 01:26 AM
bubbaboy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

However, I've read a lot of your posts putting down the C7, Stingray and Z06........

I like the Viper however it's not in the cards for me right now, I definitely will get a GTS one day, or at least I hope to. The only car that I think is over hyped is the HC, yeah it's a fast car.......in a straight line but a lot of people in here seem to think it's the be all and end all of automobiledom. They watch a couple of YT vids of the HC doing a roll on race against a Z06 and all of a sudden they're the fastest car on the planet, fact, the Z06 A8 is faster than the HC to 60 as well as the 1/4 and when a reputable automobile reviewer does the test it will be proven without a doubt. Two dufuses doing a roll on race means squat to me, go to a track if you want to convince me either way.
I agree with you on everything, but why do you give a rats a$$ about the Hell Cat? Completely different league man, that's GT500 territory. JD
Old 03-02-2015, 02:00 AM
themonk
Team Owner

Originally Posted by bubbaboy
I agree with you on everything, but why do you give a rats a$$ about the Hell Cat? Completely different league man, that's GT500 territory. JD
because some people in here are too stupid to know that the HC is a totally different car than the Stingray and comparing the two is meaningless and trying to convince people of this is like banging your head against a brick wall. Have you seen how many threads there are comparing the two, it's ridiculous. So in answer to your question why I care, I don't really, I'm just trying to show people the error of their ways after all, aren't forums supposed to provide accurate information about things?

Get notified of new replies

To GS Stripes on a Dodge?

Old 03-08-2015, 06:49 AM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

I have never put down the C7 I have one in my garage right now as it was 45 degrees in chacago today.
I've stated that I'm not a fan of the rear , but I'm not the only one.
As far as the Z pointing out the obvious problems it has , I also think the aero was an afterthought , something that is shared with others, is in no way ripping on it, I have not ripped the C7 at all.
It is just fact that some people can't take any constructive criticism on anthing corvette, topics get removed , members like 9ball who is actually very partial get banned for nothing, this forum is very different from whe I joined it.
Old 03-08-2015, 10:01 AM
NineBall
Safety Car

because some people in here are too stupid to know that the HC is a totally different car than the Stingray and comparing the two is meaningless and trying to convince people of this is like banging your head against a brick wall. Have you seen how many threads there are comparing the two, it's ridiculous. So in answer to your question why I care, I don't really, I'm just trying to show people the error of their ways after all, aren't forums supposed to provide accurate information about things?
Please don't be offended, but I'd like to offer the counter to this statement. I agree with the statement, but there is some information missing.

The Hellcat video stuff, showing the roll races, only compared ONE aspect of these two cars. Highway acceleration. By now, we've all see how the M7 Z06 hits a wall at 120 mph and seems to accelerate slower than it should. I've never seen anyone mention that the Hellcat was better, or claimed it could do lap times, etc... like a Corvette can. The Hellcat fans just pointed out that it was faster from the popular rolling start 60-140 runs. Well, it is. Even the magazine data to 150 mph suggests this.

That being said, it was the Corvette fans that started all the "but it can't take turns" or "but it doesn't beat it on the 'Ring" stuff. Those comments didn't come from the Hellcat fans. So, this puts the question on who was "being stupid" and comparing the cars in those other ways. The only comparison was acceleration.
Old 03-10-2015, 04:05 AM
themonk
Team Owner

Originally Posted by NineBall
Please don't be offended, but I'd like to offer the counter to this statement. I agree with the statement, but there is some information missing.

The Hellcat video stuff, showing the roll races, only compared ONE aspect of these two cars. Highway acceleration. By now, we've all see how the M7 Z06 hits a wall at 120 mph and seems to accelerate slower than it should. I've never seen anyone mention that the Hellcat was better, or claimed it could do lap times, etc... like a Corvette can. The Hellcat fans just pointed out that it was faster from the popular rolling start 60-140 runs. Well, it is. Even the magazine data to 150 mph suggests this.

That being said, it was the Corvette fans that started all the "but it can't take turns" or "but it doesn't beat it on the 'Ring" stuff. Those comments didn't come from the Hellcat fans. So, this puts the question on who was "being stupid" and comparing the cars in those other ways. The only comparison was acceleration.
this whole HC vs C7 reminds me of back in 1987 when the GN would go up against a C4. Yes it was faster in a straight line up to a point but braking and cornering, not a chance, yet all that didn't stop people from comparing the two and I'll bet dollar to doughnuts it was the GN boys that did the first comparison, just like how I bet it was the HC fan bois that did the first with the C7. The Corvette never had anything to prove and when you're on top of the mountain people are always looking to knock you off.

Quick Reply: GS Stripes on a Dodge?