Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Porsche just released half of the C7Z06 hater crowds dream car...at 100k more msrp

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 12:32 PM
E in Phila
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RC000E
Hmmm

That's like comparing a fat chick to a supermodel because they both have big ****.
Old 03-15-2015, 05:41 PM
SLO VETTE
Race Director

Received 326 Likes on 188 Posts

for the life i me i don't understand why anyone raves about a car being better that costs many tens of thousands, or even 6 figures, more than a vette. well, it damn well should be better in many ways for that kind of money!

if anything, it proves that the vette is such an incredible value and seems to be a benchmark of sorts.

funny, that.
Old 03-16-2015, 12:29 PM
Crabbers
Le Mans Master

Received 116 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by SLO VETTE
for the life i me i don't understand why anyone raves about a car being better that costs many tens of thousands, or even 6 figures, more than a vette. well, it damn well should be better in many ways for that kind of money!

if anything, it proves that the vette is such an incredible value and seems to be a benchmark of sorts.

funny, that.
Do you know anything about economics?

Simple example. Two cars cost $1,000,000 to develop. Company A sells 10 cars while company B sells 10,000. In order to break even, company A charges $100,000 per car and company B charges $100 per car. Chevy sells a lot of Corvettes (I believe the scientific term is "a metric butt ton") so they can charge less.

That's also ignoring that the quality on Porsche's are generally higher than that of Corvettes (although the C7 has stepped it up, it's still not as "nice" as a Porsche).

I don't particularly like Porsche (except for the really high end ones), but I do respect the quality and craftsmanship that goes into one.

Last edited by Crabbers; 03-16-2015 at 02:04 PM.
Old 03-16-2015, 12:52 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by E in Phila
That's like comparing a fat chick to a supermodel because they both have big ****.
You're right, assuming the fat chick and the supermodel were twins. That beetle looks like a fat 911. It is what it is. Deny it all you want but the similarities are striking.
Old 03-16-2015, 02:01 PM
E in Phila
Team Owner

Originally Posted by dbgoodwin
You're right, assuming the fat chick and the supermodel were twins. That beetle looks like a fat 911. It is what it is. Deny it all you want but the similarities are striking.
You apparently think you are contradicting me but just echoed my analogy in a different way. In either case, the point is there are clear similarities but striking differences as well.

If there are two gorgeous twins and one packs on 200lbs, you are left with one gorgeous girl and a girl who looks similar in many ways but is not hot.

Same deal with the 911 and the Bug. Strong family resemblance... but one is a beautiful design and the other looks like a bug.
Old 03-16-2015, 03:25 PM
Chevy Guy
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND
You are going way above some people's head here. A great car to them is the one with the most power. Getting on the gas at or near the apex doesn't mean nothing to those people... Winning to them is power.

SMH.
Yup - but too be fair, 99.99% of the folks here (myself included) never do anything but street drive or drag their cars. All the talk about ring numbers and exit speeds are fairy tale magazine nonsense that only a few care about.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:58 PM
SLO VETTE
Race Director

Received 326 Likes on 188 Posts

I just know the Porsche car costs whole lots more. And for those whole lots more pennies, it should be lots more nicer all 'round.

Originally Posted by Crabbers

Simple example. Two cars cost $1,000,000 to develop. Company A sells 10 cars while company B sells 10,000. In order to break even, company A charges $100,000 per car and company B charges $100 per car. Chevy sells a lot of Corvettes (I believe the scientific term is "a metric butt ton") so they can charge less.

That's also ignoring that the quality on Porsche's are generally higher than that of Corvettes (although the C7 has stepped it up, it's still not as "nice" as a Porsche).

I don't particularly like Porsche (except for the really high end ones), but I do respect the quality and craftsmanship that goes into one.
Old 03-17-2015, 12:51 AM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

you're assuming that both cars cost the same to develop......which I highly doubt. Porsche wants to sell as many cars as it possibly can, I really don't think they care if you see one on every street corner, they are in the business to make money, not be exclusive.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:32 AM
Crabbers
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by themonk
you're assuming that both cars cost the same to develop......which I highly doubt. Porsche wants to sell as many cars as it possibly can, I really don't think they care if you see one on every street corner, they are in the business to make money, not be exclusive.

I said simple example......................
Old 03-18-2015, 01:13 AM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!

I said simple example......................
Stupid

So you can make up an example, put "simple" in front of it and use it as an true example....uhhhhhh, okay. State facts, not "simple" examples to try to prove your point.

Do you know how much the Porsche development costs were on that car?

Do you know what GM's development costs were on the C7 Z06?
Old 03-18-2015, 09:25 AM
Crabbers
Le Mans Master

Stupid

So you can make up an example, put "simple" in front of it and use it as an true example....uhhhhhh, okay. State facts, not "simple" examples to try to prove your point.

Do you know how much the Porsche development costs were on that car?

Do you know what GM's development costs were on the C7 Z06?
Considering the moronic posts you've made about economics on here before, I'm not inclined to listen to anything you have to say about it.

Since I'm not allowed to use examples to illustrate a point, here are some real numbers. In 2014 alone GM made 37,288 C7 Stingrays. Between 2013 and now, Porsche has built just over 1,000 991 GT3s. So in one year GM built more than 37 times more Corvettes than Porsche has built GT3s in a longer period of time. It's amazing that the car costs only $100,000 more.

How's that for stating facts?
Old 03-18-2015, 11:59 PM
80atez
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevy Guy
Yup - but too be fair, 99.99% of the folks here (myself included) never do anything but street drive or drag their cars. All the talk about ring numbers and exit speeds are fairy tale magazine nonsense that only a few care about.
And 99.999999% exaggerate their statistics.

If one in 10000 vette owners tracked their car, that'd be like 5 c6Z06 owners total...

If it was a gift, I'd take the GT3, but come on, this car is only compared to a corvette because the corvette is so damn fast. The price difference makes any comparison less about cross-shopping, and more a study of build and design economics.

Oh, and you're all wrong: The P car does look like THAT bug, AND THEY BOTH LOOK GREAT!!!!!
Old 03-20-2015, 07:33 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,453 Likes on 2,805 Posts

The GT3 RS is an incredible piece of engineering. The C7 Z is an awesome car, that the bean counters would never allow to go full tilt. It's sort of a moot point to compare the two, because as other have mentioned they are simply totally different cars.

As far as a light weight NA Z06... I doubt it will happen. Corvette buyers simply aren't by and large serious racers. Their main clients won't want a stripped down car with no ac or radio, nor would they pay more for one. The C7 Z already offers some pretty impressive aero options, and upgrading to carbon brakes shouldn't be hard, but most track guys ditch them for steel brakes for economic reasons.

In the end, the C7 Z is more like a 911 turbo than a gt3 rs. It's a top end model as opposed to a purpose built racer.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:22 AM
gary0006
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lava Orange Porsche 991 GT3 RS In The Wild

From the article:
This splashy paint costs an extra €2,653 and for the same amount of money the 911 GT3 RS can receive an Ultraviolet paint while silver and metallic hues are available without any additional costs. Regardless of paint choice, all cars are getting gray 20-inch front & 21-inch rear alloy wheels optionally available with a silver (€238) or a satin black finish (€577).

6 pictures in the gallery

Old 03-25-2015, 07:54 PM
oicw
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since I'm not allowed to use examples to illustrate a point, here are some real numbers. In 2014 alone GM made 37,288 C7 Stingrays. Between 2013 and now, Porsche has built just over 1,000 991 GT3s. So in one year GM built more than 37 times more Corvettes than Porsche has built GT3s in a longer period of time. It's amazing that the car costs only $100,000 more.

I can think of one simple fact - Porsche holds the highest profit per vehicle of all production manufacturers. So the high price tag is not entirely R&D.

Speaking of which, The C7 is designed on an absolute ridiculous $250 million budget. Ram spend $1 billion on their 4th gen Ram, and James Cameron spent $500 million to film Avatar...

Also, you can't compare the sales of one specific sub-model (and a very limited one at that) to the sale of the entire Corvette lineup. How many 991s did Porsche sell in general?
Old 03-25-2015, 08:59 PM
E in Phila
Team Owner

Originally Posted by oicw
I can think of one simple fact - Porsche holds the highest profit per vehicle of all production manufacturers. So the high price tag is not entirely R&D.
Agreed. In part they get away with that on brand equity, and in part because of the related factor of high resale value.

Both of which were earned by building very good products for a very long time.
Old 03-26-2015, 02:11 AM
themonk
Team Owner

Considering the moronic posts you've made about economics on here before, I'm not inclined to listen to anything you have to say about it.

just another bs diatribe by you....someone who knows absolutely nothing about cars. Tell me, what do production numbers have to do with development costs....Jeezus, can you possibly get any more stupid?

You bring up development costs and then you rant about production numbers.......wow, you can't even get your subject straight.

Get notified of new replies

To Porsche just released half of the C7Z06 hater crowds dream car...at 100k more msrp

Old 03-26-2015, 02:40 AM
bubbaboy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gary0006
Lava Orange Porsche 991 GT3 RS In The Wild

From the article:
This splashy paint costs an extra €2,653 and for the same amount of money the 911 GT3 RS can receive an Ultraviolet paint while silver and metallic hues are available without any additional costs. Regardless of paint choice, all cars are getting gray 20-inch front & 21-inch rear alloy wheels optionally available with a silver (€238) or a satin black finish (€577).

6 pictures in the gallery

Oh mama, that thing is so nice. I would never buy one, because I suck at the track, but boy do I want one. JD
Old 03-26-2015, 10:00 AM
Crabbers
Le Mans Master

That doesn't change the fact that GM produced way more Corvettes and thus can charge less money. That's why you go to CostCo. You can buy 10,000 packets of Ramen for a lot less because they're seeling a lot more at once.

Speaking of which, The C7 is designed on an absolute ridiculous $250 million budget. Ram spend $1 billion on their 4th gen Ram, and James Cameron spent $500 million to film Avatar...
Which is exactly why they have less money to recoup. You're making my point for me.

And what does Avatar have to do with anything I said?

Also, you can't compare the sales of one specific sub-model (and a very limited one at that) to the sale of the entire Corvette lineup. How many 991s did Porsche sell in general?
I didn't include the Z06 in that. The C7 base model. The Z51 is not a different model, it is just an option. Per Wikipedia:
The Porsche 991 is the internal designation for the seventh generation Porsche 911 which was unveiled at the 2011 Frankfurt Motor Show on 15 September as the replacement for the 997. The 991 is an entirely new platform, only the third since the original 911 launched in 1963 (the 996 of 1999 was the second new platform).
Old 03-26-2015, 10:02 AM
Crabbers
Le Mans Master

just another bs diatribe by you....someone who knows absolutely nothing about cars. Tell me, what do production numbers have to do with development costs....Jeezus, can you possibly get any more stupid?

You bring up development costs and then you rant about production numbers.......wow, you can't even get your subject straight.

You sit around a drink beer all day. You tried to tell me that you're not in debt even though you financed your car for 84 months. I'm sure you know so much.

I don't know anything about cars? Maybe you should come tell my employer that, they'd like to know that one of their engineers for Fiat Chrysler has no knowledge

Why don't you give us some more economics lessons. You seem to know so much about that. Or tell us how they could have engineered the new Z06 better. What did you say? The Z07 version without any of the aero trim would be faster around a track than one with all of the aero bits on it? I'm sure all of the engineers at GM had no idea what they were doing and you know better. Please, continue to make grand engineering and economics claims. It's very entertaining to watch someone make a complete a$$ of themselves.

Oh, and since you asked so nicely, if the development costs of a car are way higher than another's, there are two ways to cover those costs.
1.) Sell a lot more cars (production numbers).
2.) Charge a lot more for your cars (lower production numbers and higher prices).
So development costs are directly related to production numbers and how much they charge. Now, if you really want your head to explode (I certainly do), factor in manufacturing costs into that equation.

Also note that I didn't say either was better.

Any other stupid questions I can answer for you?

Oh, and on a side note; Have you ever actually contributed anything meaningful to a conversation like this? Or do you only just use the same 3 lines "you're jealous, you can't afford it, you know nothing about cars"? Maybe people would actually respect you if you acted like an adult instead of a child throwing a fit when people are discussing two cars.

Last edited by Crabbers; 03-26-2015 at 12:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Porsche just released half of the C7Z06 hater crowds dream car...at 100k more msrp