Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

2016 Honda/Acura NSX

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 09:32 AM
mebe
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2016 Honda/Acura NSX

Some interesting press coming out of the Geneva motor show. I found this article especially interesting.

The bits most interesting to me:
Honda hasn’t officially revealed the powertrain’s power and torque outputs yet, but it is expected to produce a system total of about 550bhp.
We are looking to do more than chase numbers on paper - as with the original NSX we wont have the most powerful car in the category, for instance...
That sounds like classic Honda. Honda traditionally brings less HP for the price. If the total is 550 then the gasoline centerpiece will be less. NSX owners are not going to be bringing super high HP numbers to the bragging party.

One of the three electric motors is housed between the engine and gearbox and is said to support “acceleration, braking and transmission shifting performance”.

The other two motors are mounted on the NSX’s front axle. Each motor drives an individual wheel, not only delivering “instantaneous torque”, according to Honda, but also providing dynamic torque vectoring.

Each motor drives a front wheel and can apply differing levels of torque, “enhancing acceleration and braking performance”. This set-up can also deliver “zero-delay launch and braking performance”, the company says.
Now that just sounds cool. Gear box on the gas motor is changing gears so is not providing power to the wheels? Hit it with the electric through the shifts. Need to vector torque? No longer is your choice mix the individual brakes and the AWD front to back balance.

The Nissan GT-R, Porsche 911, Audi R8, Ferrari 458 and McLaren 12C are among the competitors that were used benchmarks by the development team, according to Klaus. “We’re looking for the excitement of the 458 at the price of the 911, and we think the hybrid technology can help us achieve that,” he said.
It's a good choice of competition. One can imagine that they are also looking at the C7, though the I'm betting that the C7 (and Viper) are close to the last of the "RWD, big single gas motor" cars that we see in at these high price points. The technology is just moving on.

Will be nice to see real numbers as we go later in the year. I'm a 2016/2017 shopper and am hoping for something in the market that's like an updated GT-R. For some "hard to drive fast" is a plus. Not me. I want a car that uses technology to make the car fun and easy to drive.

NSX will be a scary car to buy in the first production year though. Yes, Honda does the Insight and understands hybrids. But sounds like a lot of tech in that car. Maybe in the second year.
Old 03-05-2015, 01:22 PM
Crabbers
Le Mans Master

Received 116 Likes on 79 Posts

Old 03-05-2015, 03:55 PM
tail_lights
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 210 Posts

Old 03-06-2015, 03:07 AM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by mebe
NSX will be a scary car to buy in the first production year though. Yes, Honda does the Insight and understands hybrids....but Americans will be building these...better wait until 2nd year
I fixed that for you...
Old 03-08-2015, 07:02 PM
SLO VETTE
Race Director

Received 326 Likes on 188 Posts

Old 03-10-2015, 12:02 PM
C5 Pewter Coupe
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SLO VETTE

Old 04-23-2015, 12:25 PM
gary0006
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a new detailed press release published today.

From the press release:

DETROIT, April 23, 2015 – In advance of the market launch of the highly anticipated next generation Acura NSX, the engineers leading the supercar's development shared new technical details and design strategies with the automotive engineering community at the April 22nd SAE Detroit Section dinner, held in conjunction with the SAE 2015 World Congress and Exhibition. Additional information about the team's efforts to achieve a true "New Sports Experience" included details of the NSX's world's first body construction process that helped create a multi-material space frame resulting in class-leading body rigidity, the advanced total airflow management system and an update on NSX's power unit specifications. Ted Klaus, chief engineer and global development leader of the new NSX, introduced key powertrain, body and dynamic performance engineers who shared new product and technical details in their related areas of the development. The unprecedented sharing of technical details prior to the car's market introduction reflects the desire of the NSX development team and the company to inspire the imagination of automotive and technology enthusiasts along with the next generation of engineers.

Full Press Release

Get notified of new replies

To 2016 Honda/Acura NSX

Quick Reply: 2016 Honda/Acura NSX