Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

I Gave the 2015 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat a Bath

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 01:31 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by BHP
Latest NEWS: Hellcat production suspended due to overwhelming demand!
Makes sense
Old 03-16-2015, 02:47 PM
SaberD
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Dave68 is on the right track. It's not only production cost, but post-production cost and warranty work as well. You can't make a car with that much power very reliable, and it's going to bite them in the butt when the warranty costs hit, but this is something that is built into the financial plan for producing the car. It is a very risky move, but one they decided to take. Although nobody ever got anywhere without taking any risks. The real success story will begin later on after they have sold enough to cover production costs. It will be interesting to see how they make out with it. Another thing you have to realize is that Chrysler is a huge company with many products, and can afford to take a risk like this. They aren't doing too great as a company in comparison to Ford and GM, and they have to take risks like this in order to stay in the game. It's all competition, and the lowest guy has to take the highest risk. That's how the market works.
Old 03-17-2015, 03:57 AM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by SaberD
Dave68 is on the right track. It's not only production cost, but post-production cost and warranty work as well. You can't make a car with that much power very reliable, and it's going to bite them in the butt when the warranty costs hit, but this is something that is built into the financial plan for producing the car. It is a very risky move, but one they decided to take. Although nobody ever got anywhere without taking any risks. The real success story will begin later on after they have sold enough to cover production costs. It will be interesting to see how they make out with it. Another thing you have to realize is that Chrysler is a huge company with many products, and can afford to take a risk like this. They aren't doing too great as a company in comparison to Ford and GM, and they have to take risks like this in order to stay in the game. It's all competition, and the lowest guy has to take the highest risk. That's how the market works.
Your reasoning is dumb , all you have to do is admidt the obvious, that being that dodge has produced the fastest 4 door factory car on the planet, complete with a Warranty, there is nothing out there like it...not one thing.
It is a total win, and unless you have driven one I wouodnt be so sure that your 99 FRC could beat it at a track, surly there would be zero advantage on a street.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:13 AM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by BHP
Latest NEWS: Hellcat production suspended due to overwhelming demand!

Not true.....ordering is suspended, not production. Big difference. Sleazy dealers were taking deposits on cars they knew they could not get.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:15 AM
rocknroller
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by redzone
Not true.....ordering is suspended, not production. Big difference. Sleazy dealers were taking deposits on cars they knew they could not get.
Is anyone surprised?
Old 03-17-2015, 09:30 AM
SaberD
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by NytmereZ
I wouodnt be so sure that your 99 FRC could beat it at a track, surly there would be zero advantage on a street.
At an autocross, even a stock 93 miata would absolutely destroy that car, and it would be hilarious. I would even put money on my cobalt ss against it at autox. The thing is a tank, has suspension made for a tank, and has way too high of a cg. The only thing it has going for it is gobs of power, but in fact in many cases too much power is a disadvantage because you have less control over the throttle. In a tight track, you have very little to zero opportunity to put even half the power down that a hellcat makes. Some people even de-tune their car, add restrictor plates, and lower the power based on the track to get better throttle control, so more power isn't always better. It's all about what you want to use the car for. There is always the best car for the application. All I'm saying is this is not a real driver's car. It's a brick with a giant engine meant for your average Joe to bang through the gears down the 1/4. It's hardly an amazing feat of engineering.

Last edited by SaberD; 03-17-2015 at 09:33 AM.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:50 AM
BHP
Le Mans Master

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by redzone
My bad, yes ordering. Dodge needs to ramp-up a new plant.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:28 AM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

At an autocross, even a stock 93 miata would absolutely destroy that car, and it would be hilarious. I would even put money on my cobalt ss against it at autox. The thing is a tank, has suspension made for a tank, and has way too high of a cg. The only thing it has going for it is gobs of power, but in fact in many cases too much power is a disadvantage because you have less control over the throttle. In a tight track, you have very little to zero opportunity to put even half the power down that a hellcat makes. Some people even de-tune their car, add restrictor plates, and lower the power based on the track to get better throttle control, so more power isn't always better. It's all about what you want to use the car for. There is always the best car for the application. All I'm saying is this is not a real driver's car. It's a brick with a giant engine meant for your average Joe to bang through the gears down the 1/4. It's hardly an amazing feat of engineering.
I'm sure that is what all the Miata owners are telling hellcat owners 10 minutes later when they finally catch up to a hellcat on a street

I know power very well (my guess would be better than you)and when You are outgunned by 600, it does come into play, comparing a Miata with a hellcat is definately a boneheaded move.
Restricted plates , de-tuning .... You read to much on Google , only pro organizations like nascar do that, it's ok, you can keep searching for straws to grasp onto.

Last edited by NytmereZ; 03-17-2015 at 11:34 AM.
Old 03-17-2015, 12:58 PM
SaberD
Melting Slicks

I'm sure that is what all the Miata owners are telling hellcat owners 10 minutes later when they finally catch up to a hellcat on a street

I know power very well (my guess would be better than you)and when You are outgunned by 600, it does come into play, comparing a Miata with a hellcat is definately a boneheaded move.
Restricted plates , de-tuning .... You read to much on Google , only pro organizations like nascar do that, it's ok, you can keep searching for straws to grasp onto.
You think you know power better than a mechanical engineer that has taken 4 thermodynamics classes, and who can design an engine from the bottom up? Are you some special kind of stupid? I can teach you every single thing you want to know about power, energy, heat transfer, pneumatic systems, hydraulic systems, lubrication systems, anything you want to know about engines. Nice try smart ***. Strike 1.

Yes 600hp more does come into play in an autocross. It is a huge disadvantage when you can only put down maybe 150-200 of that. You have obviously never been to an autocross or you would know that a miata is one of the best autox cars you can drive. I wouldn't be surprised if a guy in a vw golf actually beat it. Power means very little in autocross. That is what you fail to see. Now please try to educate me more on how power is going to help you get a faster time when in fact in this case it works to your disadvantage... strike 2.

Nascar uses restrictor plates to create an even playing field among the cars. They don't de-tune the cars. It's a wheel-to-wheel race, not a time trial. So no nascar does not do that. That's a completely different ball game... strike 3... You're out!

I see you own a viper, so you are obviously just trying to make a good name for your brand, but you are going about it the wrong way trying to spread misinformation and making yourself look like a fool. Please go take your misinformation elsewhere to a place where people are stupid enough to believe it.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:17 PM
gary0006
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice, I need to test drive one of these if the dealer lets me.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:41 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

Would the hellcat owner be able to see the driver of the Miata and his boyfriend to tell him ?? And would the hellcat owner even care

Last edited by Chicago1; 03-17-2015 at 02:22 PM.
Old 03-17-2015, 02:17 PM
SaberD
Melting Slicks

miatas are gay as hell i know lol but that doesn't disprove the fact that they are amazing autox machines.
Old 03-17-2015, 02:46 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by rocknroller
Is anyone surprised?
Yes, the same thing happened when the PT Cruiser was introduced. There wasn't an identical car like it, anywhere. Unlike the Hellcat, though, the PT Cruiser was dirt cheap. That simple fact allowed it to make Chrysler a profit over the life of this model. Vipers sold (somewhat) well when they were introduced. Look at them now......
Old 03-17-2015, 02:54 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

You think you know power better than a mechanical engineer that has taken 4 thermodynamics classes, and who can design an engine from the bottom up? Are you some special kind of stupid? I can teach you every single thing you want to know about power, energy, heat transfer, pneumatic systems, hydraulic systems, lubrication systems, anything you want to know about engines. Nice try smart ***. Strike 1.

Yes 600hp more does come into play in an autocross. It is a huge disadvantage when you can only put down maybe 150-200 of that. You have obviously never been to an autocross or you would know that a miata is one of the best autox cars you can drive. I wouldn't be surprised if a guy in a vw golf actually beat it. Power means very little in autocross. That is what you fail to see. Now please try to educate me more on how power is going to help you get a faster time when in fact in this case it works to your disadvantage... strike 2.

Nascar uses restrictor plates to create an even playing field among the cars. They don't de-tune the cars. It's a wheel-to-wheel race, not a time trial. So no nascar does not do that. That's a completely different ball game... strike 3... You're out!

I see you own a viper, so you are obviously just trying to make a good name for your brand, but you are going about it the wrong way trying to spread misinformation and making yourself look like a fool. Please go take your misinformation elsewhere to a place where people are stupid enough to believe it.
It's kinda like thinking that a Busa can trounce a dirt bike with half of the Busa's horsepower, off road. I don't care how much power the Busa has, it will get demolished on off road courses. You simply can't dispute the laws of physics; light cars (and motorcycles) will always be superior to huge heavy, powerful cars and motorcycles on tight curves and other conditions that favor lower mass.
Old 03-17-2015, 05:13 PM
JJS04
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran

Originally Posted by Chicago1
Would the hellcat owner be able to see the driver of the Miata and his boyfriend to tell him ?? And would the hellcat owner even care

Old 03-19-2015, 05:00 PM
C5 Pewter Coupe
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

no thanks. I'm one of the few that values handling and the connection with the car over acceleration. Anyone can make a brick do the 1/4.
you would love the Honda S2000 then..
Old 03-19-2015, 09:33 PM
ignatkor
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no thanks. I'm one of the few that values handling and the connection with the car over acceleration. Anyone can make a brick do the 1/4.
That Hellcat probably handles better than your C5 lol

Get notified of new replies

To I Gave the 2015 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat a Bath

Old 03-19-2015, 11:32 PM
Silverspeed
Team Owner

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13, '15

I thought NASCAR used restrictor plates to restrict airflow into the engines at the high speed tracks to slow them down. In effect, de-tuning them. This is done for safety reasons. These races are known as a "restrictor plate race", as they are not used at many (most)of the tracks.
Old 03-20-2015, 12:52 AM
bubbaboy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverspeed
I thought NASCAR used restrictor plates to restrict airflow into the engines at the high speed tracks to slow them down. In effect, de-tuning them. This is done for safety reasons. These races are known as a "restrictor plate race", as they are not used at many (most)of the tracks.
Yes, and that's why restrictor plate races blow. JD
Old 03-20-2015, 02:00 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

6 corvettes, 2 mustangs, 2 camaros , 1 Audi , 3 benz , 1 GN, 2 Lexus , 2 ford explorers, 1 chevy trailblazer , going on 2 vipers, so it's safe to say I don't have a brand.
I also don't care what kind of mechanical engineer you are, if you don't have the actual seat time in different powered machines you don't know squat, talking about restrictor plates on street cars shows the straws you are still trying to grasp

My answer is YES, I know more about power than you

Last edited by NytmereZ; 03-23-2015 at 03:57 PM.

Quick Reply: I Gave the 2015 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat a Bath