Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

I Gave the 2015 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat a Bath

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 10:54 PM
oicw
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave68
The point is that you guys make fun of Miata owners who use their cars to race where light weight is a major advantage. You don't see many Miatas at the drag strip, just as you won't see Hellcats at the autoX events. I certainly won't blame the owner of a 4500-lb car if he stays away from this type of event and you shouldn't blast those who like small, light sports cars.
Strictly speaking for myself, I've NEVER downplayed the Miata. In fact, if you look through my old posts I'm the first one to say how amazing and fun a 2200 lbs ND must be, despite only having 155 hp.

What happened here is the exact opposite, an ignorant Miata fan thinking a bone stock 1993 NA can beat a 707 hp sport sedan that corners 0.94g, AVERAGES as high in the figure 8 as a 1993 Miata on the skidpad (think about that for a second...), and is 9s faster on a small technical track.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:31 AM
SaberD
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by oicw
Strictly speaking for myself, I've NEVER downplayed the Miata. In fact, if you look through my old posts I'm the first one to say how amazing and fun a 2200 lbs ND must be, despite only having 155 hp.

What happened here is the exact opposite, an ignorant Miata fan thinking a bone stock 1993 NA can beat a 707 hp sport sedan that corners 0.94g, AVERAGES as high in the figure 8 as a 1993 Miata on the skidpad (think about that for a second...), and is 9s faster on a small technical track.
If you are comparing magazine times your statement is totally true. However nobody is going to run with 20 year old tires. Tires have come a long way since then, and the stock ones the miata came with were absolute garbage compared to what people use today. The fact is that no 93 miata exists that will be running those tires because tires expire after 5 years. Redo the test with a halfway decent set of rubber, and you will find the actual handling capabilities of a miata are far greater than the oem specs from '93. Its just like a c5. The oem handling specs were garbage because of the runflat tires. Put on a decent set, and its an absolute beast around the corners. They put the best tires they could on the hellcat to compensate for its poor handling, and people wont be happy with anything but the best when you spend that much on a car. They put crappy rubber on a miata because it's high production and handles well enough to be able to afford to put crappy tires on it. This is the problem with internet bench racers. There are oem specs from magazines and then there is reality. Take your hellcat to an autocross event and see how it gets beat by every single miata there.

For the record, I really don't like miatas. They are ugly as hell and made for a 4ft2 japanese person.

Last edited by SaberD; 04-02-2015 at 09:33 AM.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:29 PM
oicw
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SaberD
If you are comparing magazine times your statement is totally true. However nobody is going to run with 20 year old tires. Tires have come a long way since then, and the stock ones the miata came with were absolute garbage compared to what people use today. The fact is that no 93 miata exists that will be running those tires because tires expire after 5 years. Redo the test with a halfway decent set of rubber, and you will find the actual handling capabilities of a miata are far greater than the oem specs from '93. Its just like a c5. The oem handling specs were garbage because of the runflat tires. Put on a decent set, and its an absolute beast around the corners. They put the best tires they could on the hellcat to compensate for its poor handling, and people wont be happy with anything but the best when you spend that much on a car. They put crappy rubber on a miata because it's high production and handles well enough to be able to afford to put crappy tires on it. This is the problem with internet bench racers. There are oem specs from magazines and then there is reality. Take your hellcat to an autocross event and see how it gets beat by every single miata there.

For the record, I really don't like miatas. They are ugly as hell and made for a 4ft2 japanese person.
Tires are probably THE biggest factor in autoX; if you'd said a Miata on nothing but R-comps can beat a stock Hellcat, I may have agreed.

You're right, tire and suspension have come a long ways. I can guarantee the stock dampers on an NA Miata is not nearly as good as the electronic ones on the Hellcat. This implies the bone stock suspension may not handle a modern sticky tire that well.

Speaking of bench racers, have you driven a large performance car on an autoX? They're not nearly as clumsy as the curb weight suggest (bench racing). I've driven 4400 lbs K9 P71 Crown Vics, my own Intrepid police pkg, 1st gen LX, E34 & E60 5 series, E63 (very similar to LX). And driven properly, the sport compact guys go absolutely wide-eyed on just how fast they are.
Old 04-02-2015, 03:27 PM
SaberD
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by oicw
Tires are probably THE biggest factor in autoX; if you'd said a Miata on nothing but R-comps can beat a stock Hellcat, I may have agreed.

You're right, tire and suspension have come a long ways. I can guarantee the stock dampers on an NA Miata is not nearly as good as the electronic ones on the Hellcat. This implies the bone stock suspension may not handle a modern sticky tire that well.

Speaking of bench racers, have you driven a large performance car on an autoX? They're not nearly as clumsy as the curb weight suggest (bench racing). I've driven 4400 lbs K9 P71 Crown Vics, my own Intrepid police pkg, 1st gen LX, E34 & E60 5 series, E63 (very similar to LX). And driven properly, the sport compact guys go absolutely wide-eyed on just how fast they are.
it would certainly not take r comps, just a good summer tire. Heavy cars can handle decently with a lot if work, but its a pretty steep learning curve compared to a smaller and more easily manueuverable car. Given the same seat time in each, the guy in the lighter car will always win even if both cars are technically capable of the same times.
Old 04-06-2015, 03:00 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by SaberD
it would certainly not take r comps, just a good summer tire. Heavy cars can handle decently with a lot if work, but its a pretty steep learning curve compared to a smaller and more easily manueuverable car. Given the same seat time in each, the guy in the lighter car will always win even if both cars are technically capable of the same times.
Heavy car with modern suspension and more 400hp , with a pro driver is going to slaughter, the lighter car, you are definatly a bench racer, or dave68's buddy(maybe even him) I don't thing ther is a single person on this forum who would chose a Miata over a hellcat... Just fact .

The only people I've ever seen drive miata's are women .

Last edited by NytmereZ; 04-06-2015 at 03:02 PM.
Old 04-06-2015, 03:07 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by NytmereZ
The only people I've ever seen drive miata's are women .
and those "other kind"
Old 04-06-2015, 03:12 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Chicago1
and those "other kind"
, but I'm trying to be nice, I have no problem with them, the don't bother me(they know better ) I don't bother them.

Last edited by NytmereZ; 04-08-2015 at 05:39 PM.
Old 04-06-2015, 09:49 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

You want to bet that the majority of Miatas at the track are driven by guys? This would be easy money for me, heh heh. I see lots of women driving Corvettes. Does that mean they are girlie cars?

Quick Reply: I Gave the 2015 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat a Bath