Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Tire pressure sensor removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 09:10 PM
FiberGlassKid
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Tire pressure sensor removal

I had a service manager at a dealership tell me that is against federal law to remove the TPMS from a vehicle. Is that true? thanks...
Old 04-13-2015, 09:49 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

I don't know for sure, it may be against the law for "a dealer" to remove the TPMS.

It's your car, you can remove it. It is a Federally Mandated Safety item that required vehicle manufacturers to phase-in in 2005 with all cars in the 2008 model year required to have it. That is the only requirement I know of, "vehicle manufacturers" are required to equip all new cars sold.

That said, why would you want to remove it? Just curious.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:54 PM
FiberGlassKid
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RicK T
I don't know for sure, it may be against the law for "a dealer" to remove the TPMS.

It's your car, you can remove it. It is a Federally Mandated Safety item that required vehicle manufacturers to phase-in in 2005 with all cars in the 2008 model year required to have it. That is the only requirement I know of, "vehicle manufacturers" are required to equip all new cars sold.

That said, why would you want to remove it? Just curious.
The sensors are an unnecessay expense especially when they are old and you can expect them to go bad 1 at a time and it also costs for the labor and tool to put them in. When you could check them with a tire guage occasionally for free. The ones I'm referring to are in my 2007 F150 that has 120,000 miles.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:52 AM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 155 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by FiberGlassKid
The sensors are an unnecessay expense especially when they are old and you can expect them to go bad 1 at a time and it also costs for the labor and tool to put them in. When you could check them with a tire guage occasionally for free. The ones I'm referring to are in my 2007 F150 that has 120,000 miles.
I really think I would be discussing your issue on the F150 truck forum then, its programmed a little differently than the vette, as far as impact to the computer systems if you remove them from the vehicle.....
Old 04-14-2015, 12:22 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

The TPMS system is tightly integrated into any car these days. The D.O.T. rules require it to be difficult to disable, so this can't be done by something simple like removing a fuse. I think you will always have to live with a warning light and any consequences thereof, if you do away with the sensors. While the federal government probably won't have a problem with your doing away with the system, if you live in a state that has a safety inspection program, you may not pass without a functioning TPMS system.
Old 04-14-2015, 03:04 PM
John Harry
Melting Slicks

Received 437 Likes on 270 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by FiberGlassKid
The sensors are an unnecessay expense - - -
The issue, I believe, is that with run flat tires it is difficult to see or feel a flat tire. Thus the need for sensors.
Old 04-14-2015, 03:44 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Originally Posted by John Harry
The issue, I believe, is that with run flat tires it is difficult to see or feel a flat tire. Thus the need for sensors.
Yup this is why Corvettes have had sensors for a long time now. The federal requirement for all production cars started in '07 or '08.
Old 04-15-2015, 06:08 PM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

Most quality automobiles (German) allow you to go into a menu and disable the monitoring. You get a quick alert at start up that the system is disabled, nothing more. Now, in a domestic, YMMV.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:23 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

I just bought a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Not only do the TPMS warn you of low tire pressure, with a light, you can also scroll through the "menu" on the dash, and they'll tell you the air pressure in each tire.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:27 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
I just bought a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Not only do the TPMS warn you of low tire pressure, with a light, you can also scroll through the "menu" on the dash, and they'll tell you the air pressure in each tire.
Doesn't your C6 do the same thing?
Old 04-21-2015, 07:54 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by cclive
Doesn't your C6 do the same thing?
Thanks for reminding me! I store the car during the winter, and when I bring it out in the spring, which took FOREVER this year, I sometimes forget all the little details of the car.....
Old 04-21-2015, 11:46 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Thanks for reminding me! I store the car during the winter, and when I bring it out in the spring, which took FOREVER this year, I sometimes forget all the little details of the car.....
I wasn't sure if they changed something. We are lucky to have a good system on the C6. We can program sensors with an inexpensive tool and each tire is shown separately. On a friend's Subaru, sensors must be programmed by a dealer and there is one light that comes on to tell that a tire or tires have low pressure. It is then up to the owner to figure out what that low pressure is, and what tire is low. What a pain.
Old 05-05-2015, 11:27 AM
dgoff
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello, I have a 1999 FRC I use to Autocross. I'm about to change tires and wheels. What happens if there are no TPS? Does anyone know what happens and can I overcome it?
Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Tire pressure sensor removal