Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Has anyone owned a Jag XKR-S?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 10:03 AM
Crabbers
Le Mans Master

Received 116 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Has anyone owned a Jag XKR-S?

I like to window shop cars. I've always liked the XKR-S, but when the F-type came out I almost completely forgot about it. I looked at some of the ones for sale and they're surprisingly affordable (relatively). Has anyone lived with one? Thoughts?

Old 04-22-2015, 08:04 PM
MrPbody
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Used Jags are "very reasonable" for a reason. Beautiful cars and fun to drive when behaving, but beware that you'll be paying large for that joy, especially if you plan to have a shop repair and maintain it for you.
I own an XK8 and enjoy it a lot, but it's a bit like being married to a high priced hooker. be prepared for heartbreak and frustration at times.

Russ
Attached Images  
Old 04-23-2015, 09:18 AM
Crabbers
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by MrPbody
Used Jags are "very reasonable" for a reason. Beautiful cars and fun to drive when behaving, but beware that you'll be paying large for that joy, especially if you plan to have a shop repair and maintain it for you.
I own an XK8 and enjoy it a lot, but it's a bit like being married to a high priced hooker. be prepared for heartbreak and frustration at times.

Russ
I heard that the newer ones are completely different in that they're nice and reliable, and the unreliability thing is just a reputation that they used to have. But, I've never owned a new jag so I could be wrong

Oh, and nice Jag
Old 04-23-2015, 11:47 AM
MrPbody
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Crabbers
I heard that the newer ones are completely different in that they're nice and reliable, and the unreliability thing is just a reputation that they used to have. But, I've never owned a new jag so I could be wrong
Well….. sorta . During Fords ownership, beginning in the early 90s, things were improved substantially, but I still wouldn't call the cars "nice and reliable". engines are very good for the most part now but transmissions vary depending on the particular year and model as several manufactures have supplied trans to Jag. My main beefs with the cars have been things like the plastic electrical connectors that you can't unplug without them turning to dust (new replacements are seldom available), as well as interior plastic bits which self-destruct. The cars have so many power options, that things are bound to go wonky at times, and when they do the price of replacement is astronomical. speaking of prices: I recently had a neutral safety switch go bad. a new replacement switch was $820.00 and it's design precludes any sort of work-around. I was happy to find a used one for ~$250.00.
As I said, XKs are very nice cars in many ways, but I wouldn't want to own one as my only means of transportation . the Jaguar Forum is a place that you should also check out, for specifics on any particular car you might be looking at. a very good knowledge base there.

Good luck,
Russ
Old 04-23-2015, 11:50 AM
Crabbers
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by MrPbody
Well….. sorta . During Fords ownership, beginning in the early 90s, things were improved substantially, but I still wouldn't call the cars "nice and reliable". engines are very good for the most part now but transmissions vary depending on the particular year and model as several manufactures have supplied trans to Jag. My main beefs with the cars have been things like the plastic electrical connectors that you can't unplug without them turning to dust (new replacements are seldom available), as well as interior plastic bits which self-destruct. The cars have so many power options, that things are bound to go wonky at times, and when they do the price of replacement is astronomical. speaking of prices: I recently had a neutral safety switch go bad. a new replacement switch was $820.00 and it's design precludes any sort of work-around. I was happy to find a used one for ~$250.00.
As I said, XKs are very nice cars in many ways, but I wouldn't want to own one as my only means of transportation . the Jaguar Forum is a place that you should also check out, for specifics on any particular car you might be looking at. a very good knowledge base there.

Good luck,
Russ
Thanks for all of the information! I really appreciate it

Get notified of new replies

To Has anyone owned a Jag XKR-S?