Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

No brand loyalty here, Which truck would you recommend?

Old 04-27-2015, 04:01 PM
js1977
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default No brand loyalty here, Which truck would you recommend?

So I'm about to be in the market for a new truck and I've looked over the companies websites for each truck. They all look like amazing trucks that can do it all and more, but I thought I'd ask ya'll (owners of these trucks).

I'm currently looking at ordering one of the following and would like to know of positives/negatives of each from guys who own one of the below.

2015 GMC Denali 2500 crew cab 4x4 duramax

2015 Ford F-250 platinum Crew cab 4x4 powerstroke

2015 RAM 2500 limited crew cab 4x4 Cummins

Thanks for any info.
Old 04-27-2015, 06:07 PM
MVR 155
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In XI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Originally Posted by js1977
So I'm about to be in the market for a new truck and I've looked over the companies websites for each truck. They all look like amazing trucks that can do it all and more, but I thought I'd ask ya'll (owners of these trucks).

I'm currently looking at ordering one of the following and would like to know of positives/negatives of each from guys who own one of the below.

2015 GMC Denali 2500 crew cab 4x4 duramax

2015 Ford F-250 platinum Crew cab 4x4 powerstroke

2015 RAM 2500 limited crew cab 4x4 Cummins

Thanks for any info.
The new GM trucks are absolutely beautiful, the new interior is also in my opinion the nicest of the bunch. The Duramax/Allison combo is a tried, true and tested powertrain. I have nothing against Ford but they have been jumping from diesel engine to diesel engine the past decade. While the 6.7's seem to be holding up fairly well there is only 5 years of track record on them. The Cummins in the Dodge is an awesome engine and Dodge finally has a much better trans than it did years ago. While Dodge has really stepped it up on interior quality as of late I feel they are the latest to the party.

If I was going to buy a brand new diesel truck today it would without a doubt be the 2500 Duramax Denali.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:10 PM
js1977
Racer

Thanks for your input! You've highlighted some good points.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:52 PM
0vividracing
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I know nothing about trucks other than driving my aunt's diesel Ram as I was learning how to drive stick and that was a ride!

I do read auto magazines and articles and GMC does have the Duramax/Allison system and it is indeed tried and tested, but the reliability of the truck itself is too new to be known, but it does look really good.

The Ram Cummins diesel is so strong, I don't know why but when I look at a Ram compared to the Ford and GMC they just look I dunno, "dainty" I guess? The styling is what has me, again not a truck guy I look at engines and looks and to me the Ram has both.

-RyanG
Old 04-29-2015, 11:39 AM
Vette_Minded
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are all good and you'll just have to drive them and see what you like. The Ford though, just looks old. It's essentially a 16 year old truck that they slap a new grill on every few years. Hey, it has a new engine, trans, dash and they've updated the frame along the way but it really needs a chnage. If you look at even the new ones you can still see the Econoline van doors and door handles. Infact, the entire cab looks like a reworked late 90's van and prbably was. Wonder if the 2015's tail gate will still fit a mid 90's F150?
Old 04-29-2015, 11:46 PM
Omega Man
Race Director

Location: I speak the truth. Harsh but accurate. The Woodlands Texas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

I personally like Ford trucks, but there is no way I would get an F250. The entire design is from 1999 and there is more room in a F150 than the F250.

Sorry to not be much help, but the F250 is just too small inside when compared to the other models.
Old 04-30-2015, 12:15 AM
MVR 155
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In XI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Originally Posted by vividracing
I know nothing about trucks other than driving my aunt's diesel Ram as I was learning how to drive stick and that was a ride!

I do read auto magazines and articles and GMC does have the Duramax/Allison system and it is indeed tried and tested, but the reliability of the truck itself is too new to be known, but it does look really good.

The Ram Cummins diesel is so strong, I don't know why but when I look at a Ram compared to the Ford and GMC they just look I dunno, "dainty" I guess? The styling is what has me, again not a truck guy I look at engines and looks and to me the Ram has both.

-RyanG
The new GM trucks are basically running the same drivetrain they have for years...... the truck has an updated body and interior (which includes some new electronics/tech stuff). Not really sure how you can say that reliability is going to be an issue. The Ram is without a doubt a good looking truck but Dodge reliability has been at the bottom of the big 3 for quite a while. While I don't question the drive train so much I do question the QC and the dealership service experience.

Honestly I think Ford has the best dealership/service experience but as I mentioned previously..... the fact they have been jumping through different diesel platforms every few years would have me thinking twice about purchasing a new Super Duty with a diesel.
Old 04-30-2015, 01:53 AM
centuryoldracer
Le Mans Master

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts

Let me preface what I am about to say with I have been a mechanic for over 30 years, my own shop, and no employees, so it was me doing the work, and I have pretty much seen it all, and done most of it. I am not a Diesel fan. They are a financial looser all the way around compared to a gas engine truck. More money to buy in the first place because it is a diesel, thousands more, and those thousands will buy a lot of gas. Way more expensive to maintain, think 16 quarts of oil on every change, expensive oil filter, expensive fuel filters, more labor to change them, twice as many batteries. One bad injector costs more to replace than an entire service, and tune up on a gas engine, and think of all 8. Ny neighbor just had 8 new injectors put in his duramax with 198,000 on it and it cost him 4200.00, and it is the third set since he bought the truck new! Injector pumps can cost as much as 2000.00 and a host of other expensive things that regularly go bad. This negates any fuel milage savings, and diesel fuel is quite a bit more expensive, plus on some of the new trucks they have a separate tank for diesel exhaust fluid that can only be bought at certain places, auto parts stores as far as I know, and if your exhaust fluid runs out the truck will only go 45 MPH for a short time, and then the engine will only idle after that. A gas engine truck will be a fraction of the cost to operate over the life of the truck. If you garage your diesel your garage stinks every time you fire it up cold. I could go on, but it just doesn't pay to own one coming from decades of working on them. Unless you have a specific need that absolutely requires one, and money is not an issue, or you want to mod it and make ridiculous power I would look at the alternative.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:01 AM
ZPO
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by centuryoldracer
Let me preface what I am about to say with I have been a mechanic for over 30 years, my own shop, and no employees, so it was me doing the work, and I have pretty much seen it all, and done most of it. I am not a Diesel fan. They are a financial looser all the way around compared to a gas engine truck. More money to buy in the first place because it is a diesel, thousands more, and those thousands will buy a lot of gas. Way more expensive to maintain, think 16 quarts of oil on every change, expensive oil filter, expensive fuel filters, more labor to change them, twice as many batteries. One bad injector costs more to replace than an entire service, and tune up on a gas engine, and think of all 8. Ny neighbor just had 8 new injectors put in his duramax with 198,000 on it and it cost him 4200.00, and it is the third set since he bought the truck new! Injector pumps can cost as much as 2000.00 and a host of other expensive things that regularly go bad. This negates any fuel milage savings, and diesel fuel is quite a bit more expensive, plus on some of the new trucks they have a separate tank for diesel exhaust fluid that can only be bought at certain places, auto parts stores as far as I know, and if your exhaust fluid runs out the truck will only go 45 MPH for a short time, and then the engine will only idle after that. A gas engine truck will be a fraction of the cost to operate over the life of the truck. If you garage your diesel your garage stinks every time you fire it up cold. I could go on, but it just doesn't pay to own one coming from decades of working on them. Unless you have a specific need that absolutely requires one, and money is not an issue, or you want to mod it and make ridiculous power I would look at the alternative.
Mostly true for the most part but if you tow heavy the diesel option is the way to go.
---
That being said please do go and drive each truck before you decide. Also try to drive one of the 6.4L gas Ram 2500's and possibly the Ram 1500 V6 diesel which seems to be selling very well right now.
---
The Ram 2500 has coil rear springs which give a fine ride and have an air suspension as an option.
---
As far as overall cost considerations the older Dodges/Rams, (2003 to mid 2007 with the 5.9L Cummins), are probably the most trouble free because of the lack of all the 2007 and later emissions crap. These have held their value beyond most peoples expectations. They are also the most "Mod" friendly. (I have a diesel sickness owning both a 2004 Cummins 2WD auto, bigger turbo with programmer and a mostly stock 2007 Cummins 4WD 6 speed manual. Love 'em both).
---
After the 2007 models, (all brands), emissions systems became extremely complex. Yes the trucks do run much cleaner but do not like short trips. The diesels require longer to come up to temperature and the emissions systems seem to be more troublesome on trucks used as errand runners.
---
Anyway drive all of them before you decide.

Last edited by ZPO; 05-01-2015 at 08:17 AM. Reason: typo -It's a 6.4L gas motor not 6.2L
Old 04-30-2015, 10:39 AM
centuryoldracer
Le Mans Master

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by ZPO
Mostly true for the most part but if you tow heavy the diesel option is the way to go.
---
That being said please do go and drive each truck before you decide. Also try to drive one of the 6.2L gas Ram 2500's and possibly the Ram 1500 V6 diesel which seems to be selling very well right now.
---
The Ram 2500 has coil rear springs which give a fine ride and have an air suspension as an option.
---
As far as overall cost considerations the older Dodges/Rams, (2003 to mid 2007 with the 5.9L Cummins), are probably the most trouble free because of the lack of all the 2007 and later emissions crap. These have held their value beyond most peoples expectations. They are also the most "Mod" friendly. (I have a diesel sickness owning both a 2004 Cummins 2WD auto, bigger turbo with programmer and a mostly stock 2007 Cummins 4WD 6 speed manual. Love 'em both).
---
After the 2007 models, (all brands), emissions systems became extremely complex. Yes the trucks do run much cleaner but do not like short trips. The diesels require longer to come up to temperature and the emissions systems seem to be more troublesome on trucks used as errand runners.
---
Anyway drive all of them before you decide.

Don't forget about the twin turbo v6 f-150. They are 700 pounds lighter this year compared to last, and I think they bumped the towing capacity to 12,000 pounds up from 10,000 . My friend has a 2014 that he hauls a big fifth wheel trailer with (he got rid of his 2001 f 250 7.3 Diesel) There is a grade coming out of lewiston Idaho that is the grade to end all grades, long and extremely steep. He said the new twin turbo v-6 will tow it at 60 MPH up that hill, and he didn't want to push it any harder than that, plus it gets 18 Mpg not towing. The truck looks pretty nice in my opinion, and is a fulll crew cab. Anything you buy will be pretty reliable until 60-80 thousand miles if it is left stock, and you drive it reasonably. After that they will require some attention, and depending on what you buy will depend on how much that attention will cost.
Old 04-30-2015, 01:18 PM
js1977
Racer

Thanks all who have responded! I'm not new to the diesel scene and even though my current truck packs a Hemi, I've had my share of cummins and duramax diesels. Enjoy both diesels, both had their positives and negatives. The cummins short fall was the transmission (2003,2006). The duraamax was nice and the only issue was that they had electrical problems that would put it in limp mode (2005,2009). But you gotta love that Allison transmission. Never owned a powerstroke, let alone a ford for that matter.

With the choirs I have currently, this will delete the possibility of any gas motor for reasons either dealing with gas mileage, power output, or longevity.

The Hemi 5.7 is an outstanding gas motor, but it drinks gas like no other when towing. I'm sure the new 6.4 in the HD trucks will be just as thirsty. I have no other complaints with the hemi as it has plenty of power to handle the job. Maintance might be a issue as the mileage begins to grow past the 100k mark. So far with the current truck (70k) I've only had three issues that were all covered by the powertrain warranty. Those being a cam sensor went out, transmission had a issue with 3-4 gear, and the rearend had a recall.

The GM 6.0 is a pure joke, We have them in our ambulances and its a dog. It couldn't get out of its own way if your life depended on it... O' wait it does, haha! The trucks are always having something go wrong with them, cams, exhaust valves, etc. and this is on all of our boxes, not just one single truck.

The Ford 6.2..... Never driven one so I can't comment on it from personal experience but I've been told it's a drinker.
Old 05-01-2015, 12:19 AM
ZBRA
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Ford 6.2..... Never driven one so I can't comment on it from personal experience but I've been told it's a drinker.
I have one in my Raptor. Tons of power. Awesome motor. Fast as hell. It will get you from one gas station to the next real quick like.
Old 05-01-2015, 12:56 AM
Closer_2001
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

We tow heavy boats...big boats 35' with twins or trips

All around, Duramax in late model GMC is my pick.

Ford and Dodge = old for the $$.

If you only need to tow 5-8k pounds...I'd go 3.5 Ecoboost in 2014 or 2015 trim F150.

Old 05-01-2015, 01:21 AM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

duramax/Allison is about the best combo,and the 2500/3500 srw trucks run great,and get great mpgs too
Old 05-02-2015, 09:50 AM
C5 Pewter Coupe
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MVR 155
The new GM trucks are basically running the same drivetrain they have for years...... the truck has an updated body and interior (which includes some new electronics/tech stuff). Not really sure how you can say that reliability is going to be an issue. The Ram is without a doubt a good looking truck but Dodge reliability has been at the bottom of the big 3 for quite a while. While I don't question the drive train so much I do question the QC and the dealership service experience.

Honestly I think Ford has the best dealership/service experience but as I mentioned previously..... the fact they have been jumping through different diesel platforms every few years would have me thinking twice about purchasing a new Super Duty with a diesel.
I have a 2012 Ram 2500 CrewCab w/Cummins and the G56 manual transmission. It's been in the shop twice in the 54,000 miles I've owned it, both for emissions related crap, O2 sensors replaced about the 30K mile mark and about the 48K mile mark replaced the exhaust back pressure sensor. Otherwise it's been completely reliable.

Originally Posted by centuryoldracer
most truck stops have at the pump a DEF pump as well.. you can also buy it at Walmart in 3 or 5 gallon jugs.. (for me, 2012 was the last year Ram pickups didn't use DEF, so I've never had to deal with it)
Old 05-02-2015, 01:42 PM
JJS04
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran

I don't have any input on diesels as I have never owned one but I currently own a 2012 F-150 crew cab with the twin turbo Ecoboost and two package. This little motor absolutely blows my mind. From its crazy acceleration to its ability to drag a camper through the mountains at 65 miles per hour I have nothing but praise for it.
Old 05-02-2015, 02:13 PM
White Out
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

I've had good luck with GM fullsize trucks and like the Duramax, so I'd go that route, in GMC form.

Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. They all compete against each other and don't slack.

Get notified of new replies

To No brand loyalty here, Which truck would you recommend?

Old 05-07-2015, 04:56 PM
juiceman03070
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by MVR 155
The new GM trucks are absolutely beautiful, the new interior is also in my opinion the nicest of the bunch. The Duramax/Allison combo is a tried, true and tested powertrain. I have nothing against Ford but they have been jumping from diesel engine to diesel engine the past decade. While the 6.7's seem to be holding up fairly well there is only 5 years of track record on them. The Cummins in the Dodge is an awesome engine and Dodge finally has a much better trans than it did years ago. While Dodge has really stepped it up on interior quality as of late I feel they are the latest to the party.

If I was going to buy a brand new diesel truck today it would without a doubt be the 2500 Duramax Denali.
Old 05-07-2015, 09:00 PM
js1977
Racer

Well I've done a little research and it looks like dodge and ford are about to go throught a few changes with this next year so I'm kinda thinking I might wait one more year but then part of me wants to take advantage of the big savings on the current models.

As far as the ford ECO-boost goes.... No, sorry it's just not my glass of ice tea. It just doesn't impress me on any level.
Old 05-09-2015, 04:38 PM
Closer_2001
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

As far as the ford ECO-boost goes.... No, sorry it's just not my glass of ice tea. It just doesn't impress me on any level.
All I can suggest is to drive one...as I mentioned Duramax/Allison is great for serious towing. However...

My construction friends - father and son team had a F250 V10 stolen and made every effort to fall in love with the 5.0 F150 or 6.2 F150 as a replacement. 57k miles hard miles later day in day out, the Ecoboost is their favorite motor.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: No brand loyalty here, Which truck would you recommend?