Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Mini question for you guys

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 08:06 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave68
Actually, a much worse than average reliability rating means the vehicle required numerous repairs. Whether they were at a dealership or not is irrelevant. My 01 Corvette was rated worse than average and boy did I find out why with many trips to the repair shops and dealerships. I'd wager the Mini is no different. Just peruse any Mini forum. An equivalent year Mazda 3 is quite a bit more reliable. That you cannot deny.
Going even further up the reliability pole is Lexus. Our RX400h is typical in that after 10 years and 100,000 miles it has not had one issue, that's right, not one. Consumer Reports ranked Lexus, Mazda, and Toyota 1-2-3 as the best car companies in terms of reliability and overall performance. Mini was very close to the bottom of a long list of car companies.
Dave, you're still missing the point about relative performance and making absolute conclusions. Sort of like saying the guy who finishes mid-pack in the 100m finals at the Olympics is slow. Yes, his performance is much worse than the best, relatively speaking. But I'd wager he'd still burn your ***.
Interesting you'd bring up equivalent year Mazda 3, when I specifically called up Mazdas from previous years. Would you conclude that Toyotas from 2006 or Mazdas from 2010 are horribly unreliable and live at the dealership?

Edited to say "...at the Olympics is slow."

Last edited by Guibo; 05-21-2015 at 06:13 PM.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:03 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

By the same token, would you consider death at the age of 60 to be a good, long life as it was considered 50 years ago? Vehicle reliability has come a long way; it's just that the bar has been raised by the Japanese and Mini, to the chagrin of many owners, has been left behind.
Old 05-21-2015, 01:50 AM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

By the same token, would you consider death at the age of 60 to be a good, long life as it was considered 50 years ago? Vehicle reliability has come a long way; it's just that the bar has been raised by the Japanese and Mini, to the chagrin of many owners, has been left behind.
I'm not going to answer your question until you answer mine. And c'mon, Dave. 2010 was not 50 years ago! Yeah, let's take 5 years and blow it out of proportion 10 times over.
If outright reliability were all that mattered, Mini wouldn't even be in business.
Old 05-21-2015, 02:42 PM
Dave68
Race Director

The point I was making applies to many things. Did you think your phone was great, 9 years ago? If so, does that mean that a 2015 phone is not necessarily superior and more efficient for the average multi-tasker?

Now if you're saying that because a Mini is as reliable as a Toyota from 2006 standards, that should be acceptable to owners then I think you're focusing on only specific groups of owners. Certainly, if all I've owned were German cars, I might be happy with a Mini, but I, like many other people, have owned quite a few Japanese vehicles. Therefore, no car with reliability only as good as a 2006 Toyota would be acceptable.
Old 05-21-2015, 06:11 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

The point I was making applies to many things. Did you think your phone was great, 9 years ago? If so, does that mean that a 2015 phone is not necessarily superior and more efficient for the average multi-tasker?
Whoa, hold up, Dave. Who in this thread has said that Japanese cars aren't more reliable?

Now if you're saying that because a Mini is as reliable as a Toyota from 2006 standards, that should be acceptable to owners then I think you're focusing on only specific groups of owners. Certainly, if all I've owned were German cars, I might be happy with a Mini, but I, like many other people, have owned quite a few Japanese vehicles. Therefore, no car with reliability only as good as a 2006 Toyota would be acceptable.
Yes, because a 2006 Toyota is horribly unreliable and spends it life in the shop. Right?
Why should I be focusing on all groups of owners, or owners who only consider reliability above all else? Seems to me like you're in the wrong thread. To you, a 2006 Toyota's reliability is unacceptable. It's clearly good enough for the millions of people still driving them.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:53 PM
zipity
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 668 Likes on 290 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

OP
Good luck with your search. I haven't owned a MINI but I have friends and family that do. One guys even enjoys driving his S more than his C6Z, for the fun to drive aspect. They are very toss-able.

I ended buying a different hot hatch and I really do like it a lot, Ford Focus ST and for even more fun since it's lighter in weight the Fiesta ST. Both are great little cars for under $20000 in the used market.

Old 05-22-2015, 03:01 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Originally Posted by Guibo
Whoa, hold up, Dave. Who in this thread has said that Japanese cars aren't more reliable?

Yes, because a 2006 Toyota is horribly unreliable and spends it life in the shop. Right?
Why should I be focusing on all groups of owners, or owners who only consider reliability above all else? Seems to me like you're in the wrong thread. To you, a 2006 Toyota's reliability is unacceptable. It's clearly good enough for the millions of people still driving them.
Guibo, does JD Powers categorize the "problems" to which you referred? If not, your defense is not strong enough. I listed the specific problem areas that resulted in the Mini S and GTI being deemed unreliable. If you can somehow disprove CR's data results, please try.

In other words, you appear to assume that the 2006 Toyotas "problems are of the same severity as the 201X Mini's "problems". I really doubt that this is the case.

Regarding the Focus and Fiesta: Both have had many reliability issues, as well. A used Mazdaspeed 3 would be a better choice. As a matter of fact, rumor has it that an all wheel drive 300 HP MS3 is in the works. Now THAT will be a fun car the drive.
Old 05-24-2015, 02:48 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Guibo, does JD Powers categorize the "problems" to which you referred? If not, your defense is not strong enough. I listed the specific problem areas that resulted in the Mini S and GTI being deemed unreliable. If you can somehow disprove CR's data results, please try.

In other words, you appear to assume that the 2006 Toyotas "problems are of the same severity as the 201X Mini's "problems". I really doubt that this is the case.

Regarding the Focus and Fiesta: Both have had many reliability issues, as well. A used Mazdaspeed 3 would be a better choice. As a matter of fact, rumor has it that an all wheel drive 300 HP MS3 is in the works. Now THAT will be a fun car the drive.
Dave, please answer the questions before moving onto other ones. You seem to think I claimed Japanese cars aren't more reliable. Where did you get this drivel, if you didn't just make it up in your mind??
I didn't say anything that attempts to "disproves CR's data results," so why even bring that up?

Quick Reply: Mini question for you guys