Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

2016 Viper Comment Takes a "Shot" at Z06

Old 05-10-2015, 02:41 PM
Dominic Toretto
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

C'mon guys, the only thing the C7Z needs to be track ready is an LS9.

-Alex
Old 05-18-2015, 03:19 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by 408sbc
http://www.autoblog.com/2015/05/08/2...-acr-official/

"This car is not a 1-3 lap track special. You can run the car at the track all day, and the performance doesn't fall off," added Kuniskis.
I think you are giving the Z to much credit, the new ACR is in a different world and will slaughter the Z, I think they were referring to some of the hyper cars that run electric.
Old 05-18-2015, 03:37 PM
mfain
Drifting

Received 873 Likes on 391 Posts

Just found out there are really two versions of the ACR. You can order one version today- Viper GTC with ACR package - $117,995 plus destination and gas guzzler. But that only includes the CCBs, a wing similar to the TA 2.0 (not the full extreme wing), and a splitter (not the "extreme" splitter). The car does not have the big diffuser or the front fender vents. I would guess this version will have less downforce and a little higher top speed. The "ACR Extreme", the 2000# downforce car, will be a late release (Oct??) and I think the package that gets the extreme wing, bigger splitter, diffuser, and fender vents is another $6000+. You can't actually order the "Extreme" yet. At least this is what my dealer is now telling me after a long teleconference with Dodge upper sales management.

Pappy
Old 05-18-2015, 05:12 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Pappy's information is accurate.
Old 05-18-2015, 05:48 PM
05dsom
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by mfain
Just found out there are really two versions of the ACR. You can order one version today- Viper GTC with ACR package - $117,995 plus destination and gas guzzler. But that only includes the CCBs, a wing similar to the TA 2.0 (not the full extreme wing), and a splitter (not the "extreme" splitter). The car does not have the big diffuser or the front fender vents. I would guess this version will have less downforce and a little higher top speed. The "ACR Extreme", the 2000# downforce car, will be a late release (Oct??) and I think the package that gets the extreme wing, bigger splitter, diffuser, and fender vents is another $6000+. You can't actually order the "Extreme" yet. At least this is what my dealer is now telling me after a long teleconference with Dodge upper sales management.

Pappy
different interior and stereo

Last edited by 05dsom; 05-18-2015 at 05:51 PM.
Old 05-19-2015, 03:04 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

great info, 05dsom!!!! Thanks for posting.
Old 05-19-2015, 03:09 PM
mfain
Drifting

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
great info, 05dsom!!!! Thanks for posting.
Agree! Has anyone seen the curb weight published? "Lightweight" is listed in several areas specific to the ACR (interior, etc.).

Pappy
Old 05-19-2015, 03:27 PM
Crabbers
Le Mans Master

Received 116 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by quick04Z06
Lawdogg, as I see it, actually there is nothing wrong with the new Z but the name. It is really a ZR1, and Chevy needs to build the Z06 that at least with a few boxes checked will match the ACR.

Seems to me if Dodge sells the new ACR for about 150K (just a guess), then GM should be willing to build the 150K, track-ready (not just track capable) Z06, or maybe Z06R, to match.

I suspect even the GT3 boys may line up for this ACR....
You'd be okay with the heat issues if it was just badged as a ZR1 instead of a Z06? You can't really be that susceptible to cheap marketing tactics like that.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:55 PM
NineBall
Safety Car

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

Pappy,

Just to clarify the groups a bit for you, there are two different ways to order the ACR. You can either start with the "base" ACR, or build an ACR through the 1-of-1 GTC program. The base ACR gets you the carbon ceramics and the ACR-specific interior trim. The 1-of-1 ACR has the steel TA brakes on it. The rest is the same between them.

The ACR wing (both base and extreme) are the same wing, the Extreme is just a little bit taller on the stanchions, and has more aggressive end plates. Both are much bigger than the TA2.0 wing. The base ACR also gets a full width bumper splitter, not like the dual splitters on the TA cars. Extreme gets the extension that goes on that splitter, which seems like it could be added later if wanted.

The best bang for the buck is the 1-of-1 with the steel brakes, and only the Extreme aero option clicked. That gets you $119K for a car that will lap just as fast as any version built. The carbons won't make you faster, they are just better at avoiding fade for a very long session. 30-40 min sessions do not fade the standard TA steel brakes, I've even run my TA 5 back to back sessions and never had brake fade - just tire fade.
Old 05-19-2015, 11:56 PM
mfain
Drifting

Originally Posted by NineBall
Pappy,

Just to clarify the groups a bit for you, there are two different ways to order the ACR. You can either start with the "base" ACR, or build an ACR through the 1-of-1 GTC program. The base ACR gets you the carbon ceramics and the ACR-specific interior trim. The 1-of-1 ACR has the steel TA brakes on it. The rest is the same between them.

The ACR wing (both base and extreme) are the same wing, the Extreme is just a little bit taller on the stanchions, and has more aggressive end plates. Both are much bigger than the TA2.0 wing. The base ACR also gets a full width bumper splitter, not like the dual splitters on the TA cars. Extreme gets the extension that goes on that splitter, which seems like it could be added later if wanted.

The best bang for the buck is the 1-of-1 with the steel brakes, and only the Extreme aero option clicked. That gets you $119K for a car that will lap just as fast as any version built. The carbons won't make you faster, they are just better at avoiding fade for a very long session. 30-40 min sessions do not fade the standard TA steel brakes, I've even run my TA 5 back to back sessions and never had brake fade - just tire fade.
Thanks Nineball. I like the CCBs on my C6Z/Z07, so I will opt for that option. I run big iron StopTechs on my other car, and they are okay, but I have never felt any fade with the CCBs and I like the reduced reciprocating weight. I also like the big, zero ground clearance diffuser on the Extreme package - should increase downforce without an excessive drag penalty. The fender vents are interesting, but I would like to see some data on what they do to downforce and/or drag. I go through a lot of splitters, so the idea of a removable/replaceable splitter is also a good idea. I will pull my own molds early so I can have a ready supply of replacements. I would also like to know the wet weight of the car -- without more horsepower and quite a bit more drag (with the Extreme aero package), there will be some tradeoff between increased traction and degraded acceleration, especially at higher speeds where drag has an effect. Can't wait until they start taking orders for the full-up package. Thanks again.

Pappy

P.S. I think the Extreme Aero Option adds another $6K to the price.

Last edited by mfain; 05-19-2015 at 11:58 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2016 Viper Comment Takes a "Shot" at Z06