Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

2016 Viper ACR MSRP $117,895

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 06:56 PM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by kverges
First world problem, Corey. I'll send you some Kleenex
well he does have a valid point...
Old 05-14-2015, 07:01 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by kverges
First world problem, Corey. I'll send you some Kleenex
Yeah, definitely not a bad week if that's my worst problem.

Either way, it's making me pull my order as it can't be processed. They are trying to work some magic now and if they can't get a resolution before tomorrow or Monday at the latest, they will refund my large deposit. I had made a deal for a large non-refundable deposit to be #1 presuming they could build my car. Obviously, they can't if they're leaving one of the most critical options on the ACR as a late availability in a few months after ordering opens up.

It just doesn't make any sense.

On the upside, I just confirmed my build for a GT4 to the local P-car dealer. Supposed to be built in Sept and delivered in Oct.

Last edited by QUIKAG; 05-14-2015 at 07:04 PM.
Old 05-14-2015, 09:27 PM
05dsom
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG

Either way, it's making me pull my order as it can't be processed. They are trying to work some magic now and if they can't get a resolution before tomorrow or Monday at the latest, they will refund my large deposit. I had made a deal for a large non-refundable deposit to be #1 presuming they could build my car. Obviously, they can't if they're leaving one of the most critical options on the ACR as a late availability in a few months after ordering opens up.

On the upside, I just confirmed my build for a GT4 to the local P-car dealer. Supposed to be built in Sept and delivered in Oct.
Why such a large deposit and why non-refundable?
Even on the GT3 I always had the option to back out until it hit the lock-out date.
Anyway, I plan to be on the 2017 list from Tomball with the extreme aero package
Old 05-15-2015, 12:57 AM
Hemi Dave
Melting Slicks

Received 459 Likes on 212 Posts

Congrats on the GT4....I am still trying to get an allocation
Old 05-17-2015, 11:42 AM
NineBall
Safety Car

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

Here are the two different ways to order an ACR. Through the normal ACR package, or through the 1-of-1 custom build. Both columns show the options for each.

This build would be the bang-for-the-buck ACR, in terms of performance.

1-of-1 GTC build $94,995
ACR Equipment Package $19,000
Extreme Aero $6000
-------------
$119,995

The only difference would be that this build would have the TA steel brakes, instead of carbons. Contrary to popular belief, the carbon brakes do not work better than steel. They simply have less fade resistance. Remember that the TA brakes are the same as the ACR-X race car brakes. I've never had my steel TA brakes fade, even on 40-minute sessions. Unless you are endurance racing, I'd skip the carbons and go for the steels. Especially when it comes time to replace the pads or rotors, the price between the two are huge. Carbon pads alone are typically in the $1200-1500/set range, just like tires.

That $119K build will have you putting down lap times just as fast as anything ever built.
Old 05-17-2015, 05:38 PM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Tony, do you plan on getting one?
Old 05-18-2015, 01:34 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

So, based on their inability to get me the #1 allocation with the extreme aero package, they cancelled my buyer's order and refunded my $10k deposit.

If and when I decide to move forward again on the ACR, I will try to do the build Tony mentions above. That's a sweet deal. I love the carbon brakes, but not sure they are worth >$10k.

On the upside, I got my allocation and confirmed my build for the GT4. They said it would be built in a few months and delivered about a month after that. I'm pretty excited.
Old 05-18-2015, 03:12 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by PDCjonny
Base model will be 122.4K confirmed by Woodhouse with guzz and dest charge.
And when the times come out, I can't wait for the excuses, gas mileage , not street legal etc...., people still will give forum read(not real life) reviews from the 20 year old viper, not knowing that the gen 5 viper can be a DD .
Old 05-18-2015, 03:15 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by NineBall
Here are the two different ways to order an ACR. Through the normal ACR package, or through the 1-of-1 custom build. Both columns show the options for each.

This build would be the bang-for-the-buck ACR, in terms of performance.

1-of-1 GTC build $94,995
ACR Equipment Package $19,000
Extreme Aero $6000
-------------
$119,995

The only difference would be that this build would have the TA steel brakes, instead of carbons. Contrary to popular belief, the carbon brakes do not work better than steel. They simply have less fade resistance. Remember that the TA brakes are the same as the ACR-X race car brakes. I've never had my steel TA brakes fade, even on 40-minute sessions. Unless you are endurance racing, I'd skip the carbons and go for the steels. Especially when it comes time to replace the pads or rotors, the price between the two are huge. Carbon pads alone are typically in the $1200-1500/set range, just like tires.

That $119K build will have you putting down lap times just as fast as anything ever built.
Most of the people here, who want the carbon brakes just want them because they can say they have carbon brakes.
Old 05-18-2015, 03:53 PM
mfain
Drifting

Received 879 Likes on 395 Posts

So, based on their inability to get me the #1 allocation with the extreme aero package, they cancelled my buyer's order and refunded my $10k deposit.

If and when I decide to move forward again on the ACR, I will try to do the build Tony mentions above. That's a sweet deal. I love the carbon brakes, but not sure they are worth >$10k.

On the upside, I got my allocation and confirmed my build for the GT4. They said it would be built in a few months and delivered about a month after that. I'm pretty excited.
The dealer I am working with originally wanted 20% down and $10K over MSRP. Got rid of the price pack, and the deposit is refundable up to the day the VIN is assigned. With today's crappy interest rates, who cares where the money sits. After we discovered that the "Extreme" package could not be ordered yet, they could not (or perhaps would not) take my deposit. The dealer claims I will get the first call when the option is released. But, on the other hand, it's Vegas. I was supposed to get the first C4 (1984) in town and mysteriously got beat out by Sammy Davis Jr. at the last minute. LOL I guess it's okay to wait a little - I would still like to see if they cured the reported high incidence of rod bearing failures.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:59 AM
Capt Van
Le Mans Master

Received 232 Likes on 88 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12, '16

Originally Posted by mfain
I would still like to see if they cured the reported high incidence of rod bearing failures.
High incidence? News to me, could you post your source? I'm an active member of all 3 Viper forums and own a 14 GTS, while there have been a few failures I would certainly not refer to it as "high".
Old 05-19-2015, 08:05 AM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Capt Van
High incidence? News to me, could you post your source? I'm an active member of all 3 Viper forums and own a 14 GTS, while there have been a few failures I would certainly not refer to it as "high".

yea....waiting on this as well, only a FEW that Ive heard of...
Old 05-19-2015, 10:05 AM
Crabbers
Le Mans Master

Received 116 Likes on 79 Posts

Didn't you hear? If it's not a Corvette it's a POS. Sorry, your Viper sucks Don't shoot the messenger, I don't make the rules.

Old 05-19-2015, 10:16 AM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

Still looks like an clown car, albeit, a very expensive one with some serious clown "Get Up and Go" power.
Old 05-19-2015, 10:47 AM
Tranceport913
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love it, wish the Z06 went this way for the C7.R edition instead of a sticker package. I still prefer the TA 1.0 with the duckbill spoiler, but for a track-first built car, badass machine.

Last edited by Tranceport913; 05-19-2015 at 11:43 AM.
Old 05-19-2015, 11:56 AM
mfain
Drifting

Received 879 Likes on 395 Posts

You are right, "high incidence" is a little strong. "High" is a relative term, so a few failures with low production numbers appears high. I have been following the discussion on the VOA forum, and am also personally familiar with one failure. The discussion there revolves mostly around high (there's that word again) oil consumption in some motors - no big deal - unless you are not diligent in checking the oil level, which it appears several of the owners were not. Running a motor 5 quarts low is certainly asking for a failure! This is not an issue that will stop me from buying a new ACR, but I will follow it for any trends or preventative measures. I am an old Corvette loyalist (have had 26 since 1965 and have 3 now including a C6Z/Z07) but I have owned a new Gen III Viper and was very pleased with it. I don't want a forced induction motor with heating issues, so I am returning to the Viper.

Pappy
Old 05-19-2015, 01:47 PM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

Definitely not going to be that fast - I don't see even one R Type race edition sticker anywhere.

Not going to impress anyone at Cars and Coffee High Performance Parking Events without those. And actual painted stripes instead of vinyl ones - yuck. Epic Fail.

Get notified of new replies

To 2016 Viper ACR MSRP $117,895

Old 05-19-2015, 08:04 PM
NineBall
Safety Car

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
Tony, do you plan on getting one?
At some point, yes I'd like an ACR. To be honest, I'd be okay with the "base" car without the Extreme package. The 1-of-1 custom paint choice is also appealing. I'd like to keep my TA though, probably sell my Gen 3 Viper to make room for the ACR. Then the TA would get the twins.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:18 AM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by NineBall
At some point, yes I'd like an ACR. To be honest, I'd be okay with the "base" car without the Extreme package. The 1-of-1 custom paint choice is also appealing. I'd like to keep my TA though, probably sell my Gen 3 Viper to make room for the ACR. Then the TA would get the twins.
gotcha
Old 05-20-2015, 03:10 PM
Silverspeed
Team Owner

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13, '15

I'm trying to get one, but a MAJOR issue is developing, at least with early cars. I am being told the "Extreme Aero" package is late availability and won't even be available for ordering for a few months. I had put down a large deposit to be #1 at a local dealer and they couldn't process my order because that is obviously a critical option for me as I planned to heavily track this car.

I'm pretty pissed. Why would Dodge launch an ACR and not make the 'extreme aero' package available at launch? That is one of the main points of the ACR, the fricking aero.....
So it's pretty much like every other Dodge launch? Half the options for the Hellcat weren't available when they opened ordering. Brass Monkey Wheels, black hood, sunroof, black laguna leather(for a short time)....etc. People who ordered last September still have no idea when they will get their car. I am not surprised to hear this one bit.

Quick Reply: 2016 Viper ACR MSRP $117,895