Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Bought a daily driver today for fun from a friend...what a great car!

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 10:23 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Default Bought a daily driver today for fun from a friend...what a great car!

. The car is mint...59k miles...The body is immaculate...the reflection is what of a tree is what your seeing in the photo on the fender...

Here's the interior. Tommorow I'm getting plates..

Just a great little car that I bought from one of the nicest gentleman...he is the Fire Chief in NY and he sold me the car and even drove it back to my home today so I could get plates tomorrow. I almost wasn't going to buy this little sports car but my wife said as long as I don't sell my corvette I should buy myself a fathers day gift. This car is really a lot of fun to drive!

1994 1.8 liter mazda Miata ...128 hp!! Zoom Zoom! I have all service records for the last ten years. Timing belt done last year along with the water pump.. Oil Changed every year.. Driven a thousand miles a year for the past 10 years.. an 8 year battery that's two years old. Tires with maybe 2000 miles on them. A new top put on about 3K miles ago..

I needed a good laugh and to tell you guys...I've been smiling all day. Got the insurance card...tomorrow the plates and registration and I'm good to go!
Old 05-27-2015, 11:17 PM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

Nice! How's the hair dressing business?
Old 05-28-2015, 12:10 AM
SLO VETTE
Race Director

Received 326 Likes on 188 Posts

Does it come with an am/fm stereo cassette player too?
Old 05-28-2015, 10:46 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Originally Posted by SLO VETTE
Does it come with an am/fm stereo cassette player too?
Actually your right and it made me laugh yet they sell a cassette like device that you plug your phone or I pad and play music...

It's a fun little car that makes me smile.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:08 AM
Closer_2001
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette

It's a fun little car that makes me smile.
That was pretty much the intent of the car from day 1. Returning closer to the original plan with the 2016...Congrats on your new cheap fun!
Old 05-29-2015, 10:47 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

My sister sold one just like that, last year. It was an immaculate 96 that some lucky buyer bought for $3500.
You can't help but have fun in a car that light. Great find!
Old 06-01-2015, 06:37 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

The latest review of the ND miata
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ub-test-review

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...a-club-review/

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#__federated=1

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/06/01/2...-drive-review/

http://jalopnik.com/the-2016-mazda-m...tic-1708078866
Old 06-01-2015, 02:44 PM
Amicon
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Sold my Vette to buy one of these, Why? At 50 MPH the Vette was boring and much like a Malibu. At 50MPH in the Miata you feel like you are really moving along. The fun factor at legal speeds is there. Whereas with the Vette I had to gt up over legal speeds to "enjoy" that car properly.

Taking an on Ramp at 50MPH in the MX5 is far more fun than doing the same in a Vette. It just "feels" faster. OK 0-60 in 6 seconds is not as exhilarating as 3.7 sec. But that is where even then the Smaller lighter car feels faster albeit with less push back G forces.

Yeah the "girly stigma" is there but so is the balding old 60-70 year old stigma alive and well in the Corvette world.
Old 06-01-2015, 06:54 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Amicon
Sold my Vette to buy one of these, Why? At 50 MPH the Vette was boring and much like a Malibu. At 50MPH in the Miata you feel like you are really moving along. The fun factor at legal speeds is there. Whereas with the Vette I had to gt up over legal speeds to "enjoy" that car properly.

Taking an on Ramp at 50MPH in the MX5 is far more fun than doing the same in a Vette. It just "feels" faster. OK 0-60 in 6 seconds is not as exhilarating as 3.7 sec. But that is where even then the Smaller lighter car feels faster albeit with less push back G forces.

Yeah the "girly stigma" is there but so is the balding old 60-70 year old stigma alive and well in the Corvette world.
Perhapsif you were driving your Corvette 50 mph in top gear.....drop it down 3 gears and your feeling will change.

I don't mind the pop up lights MX5, if I found one in great condition at a great price I would be all over it like a gay guy on a cucumber. I worked for Thrifty car rentals when they first came out and they were a blast to drive, I really couldn't give a flying f'k about the gay stigma associated with Miatas.
Old 06-01-2015, 06:58 PM
Never-Enough
Le Mans Master

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

My 97 has been a fun daily driver so far. If I did not want to get back into a Corvette, I'd swap a 5.0 V8 in this thing.

Old 06-01-2015, 07:40 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

The corvette and the miata are both great sports cars....in many ways similar and even more interesting in many ways different.

I find the differences so great that I enjoy having both....and switching from car to car depending on my mood...

All I can say is after driving the miata...the corvette driving experience is even more rewarding....truly a technological marvel that rivals supercar performance at relatively inexpensive cost...

The miata in the other hand is the quintessential modern equivalent of a 1966 lotus élan...except it offers japanese reliability...

For what this 59k mile mint condition miata cost me...I couldn't say no for a daily driver in addition to my corvette.. Let me put it this way..I almost bought a tire and wheel takeoff from a c7z51 owner for a set of 19/20 s that I didn't even need now since I have relatively new tire on my polished gum bye on the vette for 2500 dollars and for 100 dollars more I got a mint condition black on black 59k miata that has been used 1000 miles a year for the past ten years...how could I say no. I could sell it for double what I paid any time I want....

Just a lot of fun to drive

Last edited by JerriVette; 06-01-2015 at 07:48 PM.
Old 06-02-2015, 02:19 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

The corvette and the miata are both great sports cars....
Old 06-05-2015, 09:42 PM
ECStuned
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope you bought that for a LSx conversion instead of a gender conversion.

Last edited by ECStuned; 06-05-2015 at 09:47 PM.
Old 06-05-2015, 09:43 PM
ECStuned
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DDSLT5
Caroline Jenner films a TV show, the OP buys a Miata.
I congratulate them both for coming out of the closet.
My suspicions have been validated.
Old 06-07-2015, 12:44 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,979 Likes on 2,880 Posts

Originally Posted by DDSLT5

X 2........
Old 06-07-2015, 06:45 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Thee miatas is really a lot of fun as it's actually the antithesis of the corvette...it's basic sports car that harkens back to a 1966 lotus élan that's all about driving fun...and the corvette is a technological masterpiece of a super car...for not much more than what an average American spends on a minivan or SUV..I'm really glad I have both.

That's why I own both...a miata and a corvette as well as a Cadillac cts with AWD for the wife.

The miata although in mint condition..with 59k miles cost me 2600 dollars to buy. I could have turned around and sold it for double instead of registering it and using it. As the father of a severely autistic 19 year old son we had a great time yesterday traveling the seven lakes and bear mountain yesterday. A wonderful little sports car that is amazing in its ability to give the most smiles per miles...of driving.

I actually bought the miata to use as my winter vehicle when the weathers crappy and we get snow etc... I don't need a SUV to get through winter etc...and I prefer to smile with every drive. I'm not a fan of lumbering SUVs etc.

I ll have studded snows or just good snows before winter and have a few laughs..

The miata is a really fun sports car. I've enjoyed the first week of ownership..

I've hit it with griots orbital polisher and Adams various products and the car looks awesome..

I ve ordered the flyin miata butterfly brace to tie the left and right side of the miata chassis together better and stiffen the chassis.....I'll have it installed by my corvette tech in 2 weeks..and other than just throwing on a set of 15 inch M edition rims and tires this past week...I'm done modding...

Just a wonderful sports car...really a lot of fun.

Very much like going from a race car to a go cart.

Lots of thumbs up on both....in person if not the interweb where old jokes (hair dresser) abound from homophobes as seen in a few recent posts.

With the new ND miata about to release and hit the showrooms in July...I can see the allure of the ND as it successfully brings back to the formula of the NA miata for driving enjoyment.

Last edited by JerriVette; 06-07-2015 at 07:22 AM.
Old 06-07-2015, 04:06 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Lots of thumbs up on both....in person if not the interweb where old jokes (hair dresser) abound from homophobes as seen in a few recent posts.
Here's another big . Although some posts might have been tongue-in-cheek, it's a shame that some great sports cars can't be appreciated for their contributions to the genre. Like, as you said, a throwback to the old Lotus, but with modern build quality and reliability. Maybe it's a hairdresser's car (around here, hairdressers seem to prefer Lexus/BMW/Infiniti sedans and coupes), but a true car enthusiast will also realize it's one that racers can appreciate.

Looks like you found a nice one. Enjoy it! They look really good on vintage-style Panasports or BBS basketweaves. There are some out there with good interior work too.

Get notified of new replies

To Bought a daily driver today for fun from a friend...what a great car!

Old 06-08-2015, 01:59 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Old 06-08-2015, 02:57 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

My 2008 corvette z51 M6
Old 06-08-2015, 03:02 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

I'm the guy on the right...and I only know one hair cut....so line up if that's the style you want.. On the left is a long time 15 year corvette buddies...who was in town for the day a few months back...(don't be a homo phobe because he has his arm around me...LOL )

Quick Reply: Bought a daily driver today for fun from a friend...what a great car!