Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Ever had to pry off a clutch disk with a screwdriver?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 04:41 PM
Scottd
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 80 Posts

Default Ever had to pry off a clutch disk with a screwdriver?

Im doing some work on a buddies 1955 Pontiac Chieftain. Great car, but hes not real mechanically inclined and the transmission want going into gear. I spent the morning pulling out the transmission (WAY easier than it is on my Vette!!) And when I removed the pressure plate, the disk was STUCK to the flywheel. I tapped it a few times.....nothing.....so I eventually had to put a screwdriver under it to pop it off. Man, is the flywheel ugly. Looks like the clutch got wet and then parked for a year. Little bits of clutch disk still stuck to it. Ive got my work cut out for me, but its so cool to be working on this old American classic.

Now....where the he(( do I find a clutch for this thing!! Ive called all the major sources and only had a few questionable hits online.
Old 06-19-2015, 09:05 AM
Closer_2001
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Scottd
Im doing some work on a buddies 1955 Pontiac Chieftain. Great car, but hes not real mechanically inclined and the transmission want going into gear. I spent the morning pulling out the transmission (WAY easier than it is on my Vette!!) And when I removed the pressure plate, the disk was STUCK to the flywheel. I tapped it a few times.....nothing.....so I eventually had to put a screwdriver under it to pop it off. Man, is the flywheel ugly. Looks like the clutch got wet and then parked for a year. Little bits of clutch disk still stuck to it. Ive got my work cut out for me, but its so cool to be working on this old American classic.

Now....where the he(( do I find a clutch for this thing!! Ive called all the major sources and only had a few questionable hits online.
I'd bet some Pontiac specific boards would help here...definitely need to turn that flywheel.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:17 AM
White Out
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Just look for a clutch for a '55 Chevy.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:24 PM
Scottd
Drifting

Originally Posted by White Out
Just look for a clutch for a '55 Chevy.
I was thinking the same thing, but I would have though that the 'parts interchange' on all of the major retailer's would have picked up on that. Summit, Jeggs, neither of them cross list the Pontiac as being compatible.
Old 06-20-2015, 09:34 AM
Chevy Guy
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

That happens to nearly all manual trans cars that sit a long time.

The secret is to get it running, warm it up, then start the car in gear. Once you are rolling start hitting the gas and letting off - the disc frees right up from the alternating forces.

Did this more than once.

Take the clutch to any parts store - I bet it's a standard piece used in tons of other cars.

Don't forget to get the flywheel resurfaced.

http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/...FUYSHwodZJ8Leg

Last edited by Chevy Guy; 06-20-2015 at 09:37 AM.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:27 PM
Scottd
Drifting

Originally Posted by Chevy Guy
That happens to nearly all manual trans cars that sit a long time.

The secret is to get it running, warm it up, then start the car in gear. Once you are rolling start hitting the gas and letting off - the disc frees right up from the alternating forces.

Did this more than once.

Take the clutch to any parts store - I bet it's a standard piece used in tons of other cars.

Don't forget to get the flywheel resurfaced.

url]http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/DC/13914-05292538.html?utm_content=DN&utm_term=19 50-1953%2C+1955-1973+Chevrolet+Bel+Air+Clutch+Kit+Rhino+ Pac+50-53%2C+55-73+Chevrolet+Clutch+Kit+1953+1955&utm_so urce=google&utm_medium=ff&utm_campaign=P artsGeek+Google+Base&gclid=CLPo5PqxnsYCF UYSHwodZJ8Leg[/url]
Yeah, I tried the gas on, brake, gas on, brake routine. Didnt work. I wish it had, because experience tells me that installing the clutch is always 5X harder than removing it. The link you provided? You think that will fit? Im really not familiar with older parts interchanges. This isnt my car and I dont want to start ordering parts that 'may' fit. Id like to think I could take the clutch assembly to a parts store to look at what they have in stock, but nowadays, anything earlier than 1980 seems to be a 'special order' item.

Get notified of new replies

To Ever had to pry off a clutch disk with a screwdriver?

Quick Reply: Ever had to pry off a clutch disk with a screwdriver?