Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Alfa Romeo 4C

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 03:44 AM
B Stead
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Alfa Romeo 4C

All the car magazines recently ran the Alfa Romeo 4C at Laguna Seca:

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...er-first-drive

And then I'll add the Lotus Evora 400 to the subject:

http://www.lotuscars.com/lotus-evora-400

Well, here the Evora is the big car and the 4C is the small car

Last edited by B Stead; 06-19-2015 at 07:43 PM.
Old 06-20-2015, 01:38 PM
Callsign_Vega
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Two sweet cars. The Alfa is simply beautiful but a bit under-powered IMO.

The new Evora is pretty incredible too if a bit heavy (3,100) pounds (heavy for a Lotus). I love the 2+2 seating and manual transmission options. Although for the same money a Viper or Z06 will be quite a bit faster.
Old 06-20-2015, 04:46 PM
B Stead
Burning Brakes

Yeah, the Evora has a 101.4" wheelbase and that makes it the car for many buyers.

The Viper, Corvette, 4C, and Evora all have extraordinary chassis construction. Not many other cars do this at less than $100,000. The Corvette and the 4C can be less than $60,000.

Both the Evora 400 and the 4C are doing 0 to 60 in 4.1 seconds. Rear-mid-engine traction is probably helping

Last edited by B Stead; 06-20-2015 at 10:58 PM.
Old 06-20-2015, 11:56 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

I'd rather get the 4C, a spyder. But that's just me. Love the 4C
Old 06-23-2015, 01:19 PM
\Boost Monkey/
Melting Slicks

Received 774 Likes on 417 Posts

I was going to order a 4C before I got my C7 a month ago. I was really struggling between the 4C and the C7. Had all the Alfa dealers in Texas on contact with my info and on the list ready to call me when they were able to order a spec'd retail non-4C launch edition car.... No doubt the 4C is an extremely awesome car.

But, a few items steered me away from the 4C and towards the C7:

-Insurance cost of 4C
-Carbon fiber tub would be a nightmare if damaged in a wreck
-I struggled to justify over 60k for a turbo 4 cylinder (despite power to weight)
-Alfa past track record and reliability questions
-Alfa's complete and utter failure on getting the cars (launch editions) to customers in anything near a timely manner (were supposed to start in 2013, cars didn't start arriving state side until late 2014)
-The complete lack of Alfa N/A dealer knowledge on not only the cars, but the ordering process and support structure.
-The fact that Alfa was keeping the N/A dealers in the dark about a HUGE amount of things... Cars were literally just "arriving one day" at an Alfa dealer with no input from the dealers or any knowledge of what was coming, when, how spec'd, etc.
- The lack of mechanic's knowledge for the new Alfa amongst the Fiat/Maserati/Alfa dealers, the spotty support infrastructure and such.

Believe me when I tell you getting one of those Alfa's was a complete mess, Alfa seemed totally incompetent in rolling out the N/A division flagship car. I pulled out.

I think the 4C is still an awesome car to have, what you get for the money is outstanding just like the C7...but god forbid it gives you trouble or you wreck it.
Old 06-23-2015, 02:29 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

In a couple of years or less, there will be a supercharger kit available for the ND Miata.
A 2300lb ND with 250 HP will represent a much better bang for the buck in many categories:
1. Initial cost
2. Insurance
3. Repair costs
4. Accessory costs
5. Maintenance costs
Old 06-23-2015, 09:19 PM
B Stead
Burning Brakes

I can't really see the insurance companies getting involved in Corvette repair. For instance, the C7 has new energy absorbing frame sections but a C7 that dented its nose at Laguna Seca was just totaled. The repair of that car will be by someone working with a salvage title.

The race cars at Indy have carbon fiber tubs of course and they absorb impact against the wall like a tennis racket flex. The only problem is that that they then un-flex and spring back off the wall.

Now these carbon fiber street cars have front and rear sub frames from the carbon fiber tub to the front and rear suspension. Of course those so-called sub frames are a part of the primary chassis.

So I'm just suggesting knowledge of the fundamentals

Last edited by B Stead; 06-24-2015 at 03:19 AM.
Old 06-24-2015, 12:06 PM
\Boost Monkey/
Melting Slicks

Received 774 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by B Stead
I can't really see the insurance companies getting involved in Corvette repair. For instance, the C7 has new energy absorbing frame sections but a C7 that dented its nose at Laguna Seca was just totaled. The repair of that car will be by someone working with a salvage title.

The race cars at Indy have carbon fiber tubs of course and they absorb impact against the wall like a tennis racket flex. The only problem is that that they then un-flex and spring back off the wall.

Now these carbon fiber street cars have front and rear sub frames from the carbon fiber tub to the front and rear suspension. Of course those so-called sub frames are a part of the primary chassis.

So I'm just suggesting knowledge of the fundamentals

I don't understand what you are trying to say here...? Why wouldn't insurance companies get involved in Corvette repair?

Also, it is important to mention that not all street cars share the same type of carbon fiber tubs. There are significant differences. The full monocoque ("one piece" full structure), partial monocoque (full cell shared with aluminum chassis components in the front and rear) and just the tub, as is the case with the 4C, and the cheapest.

Although carbon fiber is strong and lighter than the aluminum alternative, the production and repair costs are still very difficult and high versus that of the Corvette (chassis). Although if we are dealing with damage to the cell, yes it is a good chance that it will be a total no matter the material of construction, but this isn't always the case. And the fact is aluminum cells can be repaired easily versus carbon, which means an insurance company is going to increase the cost associated with insuring the 4C versus a vette based purely on the ability to more easily total out a 4C if the cell is even just cracked.
Old 06-24-2015, 04:38 PM
B Stead
Burning Brakes

Let's look at the Alfa 4C chassis construction:

http://www.autoedizione.nl/wp-conten...3/chassis2.jpg
http://image.motortrend.com/f/roadte...4c-chassis.jpg
http://cnet3.cbsistatic.com/hub/i/r/...gallery-12.jpg
http://assets.blog.hemmings.com/wp-c...4C-chassis.jpg

And the front subframe is not primary chassis because it doesn't mount the suspension but the rear subframe is primary chassis. The front subframe does certainly appear to be a crush zone.

Now the outer bodywork isn't a stressed skin but just mounts on the chassis. Easily replaceable bodywork is how a street car should be built and how the Corvette is built

Last edited by B Stead; 06-24-2015 at 05:33 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Alfa Romeo 4C

Quick Reply: Alfa Romeo 4C