Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Carbon Fiber Wrap

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 04:09 PM
Dominic Toretto
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Carbon Fiber Wrap

I'm seeing some really attractive deals on Ebay for this stuff but have no experience with it. I see they wrap 3D objects(non flat surfaces) and have perfect results. Have any of you had this success as well, or is this more of a professional type job?

-Alex
Old 07-13-2015, 01:00 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Dominic Toretto
I'm seeing some really attractive deals on Ebay for this stuff but have no experience with it. I see they wrap 3D objects(non flat surfaces) and have perfect results. Have any of you had this success as well, or is this more of a professional type job?

-Alex
I've been looking as well, I just bought a 14 viper TA and want to wrap the front two pieces of aero, the are so low to the ground and are going to get knicked up from driving on the street, at $1200 a pair I just want them wrapped.
Old 07-13-2015, 01:40 PM
Dominic Toretto
Race Director

Originally Posted by NytmereZ
I've been looking as well, I just bought a 14 viper TA and want to wrap the front two pieces of aero, the are so low to the ground and are going to get knicked up from driving on the street, at $1200 a pair I just want them wrapped.
I've looked into a few youtube videos, looks easy enough. I want to do some interior pieces of the IS250 I just bought. I ordered some from EBAY, I'll keep the thread updated.

-Alex
Old 07-17-2015, 12:37 PM
\Boost Monkey/
Melting Slicks

Received 774 Likes on 417 Posts

You can do it yourself for sure, only takes a couple of tries to practice. My buddy has wrapped some pieces on his new Stang GT with good results, using carbon fiber wrap he got off of Ebay. Both of us have been wrapping stuff for years using all types of C/F wrap from everywhere. Supposedly, though, this new stuff he got off of ebay (which was pretty cheap, actually) is the best looking C/F wrap he has ever seen in terms of looking close to the real thing.

The hardest part is corners and such and getting the wrap to stay around them and not unstick over time. I had a buddy (non-pro) wrap some interior trim in my last e92 and he had a hard time getting the corners/edges to stay put.

Just use a heat gun and take your time, concentrate on the edges and wrap onto the trim backsides with a generous amount wrapped around to the backside.

FWIW, when doing my C7, I will enlist a pro even though I (and a few buddies) know how to do it. The difference in a pro and novice is keeping those curved edges to stay for the duration, even in 100 degree Texas heat for hours in an outside parking lot.
Old 07-17-2015, 12:48 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by \Boost Monkey/
You can do it yourself for sure, only takes a couple of tries to practice. My buddy has wrapped some pieces on his new Stang GT with good results, using carbon fiber wrap he got off of Ebay. Both of us have been wrapping stuff for years using all types of C/F wrap from everywhere. Supposedly, though, this new stuff he got off of ebay (which was pretty cheap, actually) is the best looking C/F wrap he has ever seen in terms of looking close to the real thing.

The hardest part is corners and such and getting the wrap to stay around them and not unstick over time. I had a buddy (non-pro) wrap some interior trim in my last e92 and he had a hard time getting the corners/edges to stay put.

Just use a heat gun and take your time, concentrate on the edges and wrap onto the trim backsides with a generous amount wrapped around to the backside.

FWIW, when doing my C7, I will enlist a pro even though I (and a few buddies) know how to do it. The difference in a pro and novice is keeping those curved edges to stay for the duration, even in 100 degree Texas heat for hours in an outside parking lot.
Thanks, I'm going to have a pro do it in my case they are just two small pieces that unbolt, I just want to make sure the wrap matches as close as it can.
Old 07-17-2015, 12:53 PM
Dominic Toretto
Race Director

I got my wrap last night and did the work. Yes the edges are difficult but, if I use enough to wrap around and under the piece, then it can tuck in nicely. I will have pictures after work.

-Alex
Old 07-17-2015, 01:10 PM
\Boost Monkey/
Melting Slicks

Thanks, I'm going to have a pro do it in my case they are just two small pieces that unbolt, I just want to make sure the wrap matches as close as it can.
If the pieces are small, good call on using a pro. Reason being, it will be cheap enough for the labor and you can bring it back if it starts to unpeel over some time. A pro will make that chit stick for years, even down here in the brutal heat.

I got my wrap last night and did the work. Yes the edges are difficult but, if I use enough to wrap around and under the piece, then it can tuck in nicely. I will have pictures after work.

-Alex
Yes, would love to see some pics. How was the quality of the wrap? Were you impressed with the weave texture?
Old 07-17-2015, 03:14 PM
Dominic Toretto
Race Director

Yes, would love to see some pics. How was the quality of the wrap? Were you impressed with the weave texture?
Well, it's a graphic design, but, it does have a design in the pattern that you can feel. This is my first time handling this stuff so I have nothing else to compare it with. I like it, I bought it off Ebay for ~$34 for two rolls. I only needed one but bought an extra assuming I would mess up. I actually did on two pieces at first and still didn't need the second roll. Pics later.

-Alex
Old 07-17-2015, 03:29 PM
\Boost Monkey/
Melting Slicks

Well, it's a graphic design, but, it does have a design in the pattern that you can feel. This is my first time handling this stuff so I have nothing else to compare it with. I like it, I bought it off Ebay for ~$34 for two rolls. I only needed one but bought an extra assuming I would mess up. I actually did on two pieces at first and still didn't need the second roll. Pics later.

-Alex

Yes, that's what I mean by "weave texture". They are all fake C/F weaves but you can feel it and it shimmers in the light like the real thing. Some of the cheaper ones the weave looks crappy, flat, etc.
Old 07-17-2015, 09:36 PM
Dominic Toretto
Race Director

Here are the pics. Sorry for crappy cell phone quality.

Before:

After:

-Alex
Old 07-17-2015, 09:37 PM
Dominic Toretto
Race Director

You can see how it kinda bunches up at corners.

-Alex
Old 07-18-2015, 01:51 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

look very good
Old 07-18-2015, 02:43 PM
Dominic Toretto
Race Director

look very good
Thanks bro.

-Alex
Old 08-09-2015, 04:45 PM
spdmn75
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you gotta use a heat gun and stretch the corners so it isn't bunched up. Use 3m 93 primer also
Old 08-09-2015, 08:07 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

I think I would like to try the mydipkit.com hydro graphics, I have watched the videos till I was blue in the face. If you take your time and follow instr. it sure looks good to me. Probably start with the entry level package in the small carbon fiber pattern. A little pricey but they give you quite a lot of film. I'll try it on something I don't care about first
NSF
Old 08-10-2015, 09:08 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

I tried to have some of my interior wrapped by 2 different shops and they couldn't get it to stick. The coating on my crappy plastic interior c5 wouldn't allow anything to adhere to it so it would bubble up. I may try to sand it down and try again or do the hydro kit
Old 08-11-2015, 10:58 AM
Dominic Toretto
Race Director

Originally Posted by Chicago1
I tried to have some of my interior wrapped by 2 different shops and they couldn't get it to stick. The coating on my crappy plastic interior c5 wouldn't allow anything to adhere to it so it would bubble up. I may try to sand it down and try again or do the hydro kit
I used to have a C5. The interior paneling IIRC is not smooth so I don't think it will work without sanding down the surface.

-Alex

Get notified of new replies

To Carbon Fiber Wrap

Old 08-11-2015, 11:29 AM
Never-Enough
Le Mans Master

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

I did some interior pieces in my daily driver Speed6.

Old 08-11-2015, 11:54 AM
Dominic Toretto
Race Director

Veddy nice!

-Alex
Old 08-11-2015, 01:41 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by Never-Enough
I did some interior pieces in my daily driver Speed6.

That gauge bezel looks like a tough item to wrap, looks good

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber Wrap