Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Will GM pony up a new Z07 to challenge VIPER ACR?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 10:29 AM
VIPERVENOM650R
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Will GM pony up a new Z07 to challenge VIPER ACR?

Hard to believe Fiat can do this and GM with all the free money from us taxpayers apparently cannot. Step up AMERICA!!!

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/..._drive_review/
Old 07-19-2015, 10:36 AM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

Who knows....but that is one butt ugly rear wing on that car.....ok for track, but wouldn't want to drive around on street with it......a bit too much of a rice look for me.....
Old 07-19-2015, 10:44 AM
tipsyhemi
Cruising

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

i think its a dangerous assumption to think that the viper is that much faster than a z07.

lot of hype right now, but the viper in gen5 doesn't exactly hit its targets reliably.
Old 07-19-2015, 10:47 AM
Corvette4ever
Drifting

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

I know where this thread is going
Old 07-19-2015, 11:00 AM
tipsyhemi
Cruising

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette4ever
I know where this thread is going
lets wait to see real concrete numbers before we assume anything?

is that where this thread is going?
Old 07-19-2015, 11:09 AM
gonabite
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

The ACR just looks mean and menacing!!! Too much for some, I get it so to each their own.
But for a manufacturer to offer 4 levels of one car with the same drive train from mild to wild is awesome.
Old 07-19-2015, 11:13 AM
DRLC5
Le Mans Master

Received 340 Likes on 226 Posts

Nice to see the Viper keeps trying, this is good for us Z owners. Got to love the competition. GM will again raise the bar. I can not get over how ugly that rear spoiler looks.
Old 07-19-2015, 11:14 AM
05dsom
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

Pobst quote--

"Well I’ve just stepped from the latest counterattack of this rival Detroit gang: the 2016 Dodge Viper ACR, and I’m not mincing words, friends. This car will send the Z07 back to the garage for upgrades."
Old 07-19-2015, 11:15 AM
therealviper
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by VIPERVENOM650R
Hard to believe Fiat can do this and GM with all the free money from us taxpayers apparently cannot. Step up AMERICA!!!

Free money also went to Chrysler by the way... And the money was not free. Almost all the money paid back other than the first 5-10 billion given under Bush... which went to bond speculators, not GM in reality and which was not secured by any assets..... And still what was not paid back would have been far cheaper than food stamps, Medicaid, pension insurance, unemployment, and lost state and local property taxes along with loss income/O/R taxes for 1 million workers by about 150 billion, noting every parts supplier was already in bankruptcy and GM/Chrysler going under would have taken every Ford supplier under and thus Ford, who also got government loan guarantees...

The Z06 is great, with some problems for trackers... we are only 6 months in reality into a new platform.... with thousands sold and not hundreds...

Give it a rest. Nothing wrong with having 2 great sport cars made in America, lucky given 2008, its not NONE. Viper prices would be 15K higher w/o the C7.

Regards,

Viper
Old 07-19-2015, 11:16 AM
05dsom
Melting Slicks

some favorable reviews:

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/07/17/2...r-first-drive/http://<br /> <br /> http://www.auto...epower-monster

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t-drive-review

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...r-first-drive/

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...016-viper-acr/

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...er-acr-review/

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/2016-dod...330658112.html

http://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/d...cr/first-drive

http://www.wired.com/2015/07/117500-...r-thats-steal/
Old 07-19-2015, 11:27 AM
RBK
Melting Slicks

Received 889 Likes on 408 Posts

The Viper is very likely faster, which is also true of a few others. Is this the reason YOU bought the Z 06? The rear wing can only be described as a "necessary" aberration designed to "beat" whomever they see as competition, at the expense of anything resembling art/beauty, or even good taste. I just saw the Ferrari 488 and had a similar, but much more reserved impression. I own a 458, arguably, a beautiful and imo, the best all around 2 seat road car. But the new 488, with 100 more hp, now relying on twin turbo's, takes away the beautiful melody of the naturally aspirated engine. As for aesthetics, the designers added a whole bunch of vents, designed specifically for down force and air flow (important on a race track), arguably of little value to the ascot and leather glove set. Clearly the 488 is a "functional" improvement over the 458, but not over the form and "street" function of the 458. I don't know where car manufacturing and design will go, considering how fast and efficient the Tesla is (as an example), but racing requires that form follow function, while the majority of those I have followed on forums, really buy form and seldom fully utilize function. Best

Last edited by RBK; 07-19-2015 at 11:29 AM.
Old 07-19-2015, 12:24 PM
jbondfl
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

What is the point of comparing the ACR to the Z06/7?????
Money for money, well, its a drivers choice.
At $123K for the ACR, you can't get a Z06/7 even up to that without adding EVERY option,,,90% of which have NOTHING to do with speed or track ability.
Off the track the ACR will be miserable to drive. Carpet at a minimum, No sound dampening, No amp on the 3-speaker stereo. Manually adjusted suspension means you have to get under the car whenever you go from street to track.......
I don't know,,,, I guess it's your choice... but I'd expect anyone on this forum to be more likely to buy a base model Z06/7, add the wing, remove the extra weight items, end up just as fast (or faster) and spend less than $123K.

JMHO
Old 07-19-2015, 01:07 PM
gonabite
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jbondfl
What is the point of comparing the ACR to the Z06/7?????
Money for money, well, its a drivers choice.
At $123K for the ACR, you can't get a Z06/7 even up to that without adding EVERY option,,,90% of which have NOTHING to do with speed or track ability.
Off the track the ACR will be miserable to drive. Carpet at a minimum, No sound dampening, No amp on the 3-speaker stereo. Manually adjusted suspension means you have to get under the car whenever you go from street to track.......
I don't know,,,, I guess it's your choice... but I'd expect anyone on this forum to be more likely to buy a base model Z06/7, add the wing, remove the extra weight items, end up just as fast (or faster) and spend less than $123K.

JMHO

The point of comparing is that the Z07 is GMs best car "track capable car" and the ACR is Dodges best track capable car. Its what you do.... compare.

And to have the ability to fully manually adjust your suspension is great. If you dont want the manually adjustable suspension in the ACR then one would buy the electronically adjustable suspension in the TA equipped Viper.

Its a great time in high performance cars with so may options to choose and so many fast and great handling American cars. Street legal race cars. No one saw that coming in 1973. Or 2003 for that matter.
Old 07-19-2015, 01:14 PM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

"The most track capable VIPER ever"...said no one ever at FCA. No hype just delivery of a real Track monster - Unlike GM with their BS Hyperbole and PR shenanigans that delivered a tarted up porker that has major issues, both with safety and performance on a track.

Randy Probst who overheated 3 out of 3 Z06s during the first few moths of the launch has nothing but praise for the ACR - crowning it the superior vehicle.

Hows that Z06 Nurburgring lap time coming... any month now.

Last edited by Hirohawa; 07-19-2015 at 01:16 PM.
Old 07-19-2015, 01:39 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by firstgear
Who knows....but that is one butt ugly rear wing on that car.....ok for track, but wouldn't want to drive around on street with it......a bit too much of a rice look for me.....
I don't like huge wings either, it why I bought a TA , but at least people can remove that wing if they choose when not tracking the car, the is no solution for the ugly rear end of the C7, that is after you remove the cheap looking tacky plastic flap, spats etc....
I don't think dodge is looking at the Z06 as competition, it has bigger fish to fry.
Old 07-19-2015, 02:37 PM
Flyboy22
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

The problem with the ACR, even though it is an absolute beast on the track, is that Dodge basically did all the "cheat" things it could do to make it that way. In other words, it's not fast because of incredible engineering or high tech materials, it's fast through brute power and downforce. If Ferrari wanted to, they could put a giant wing and dive planes and a huge diffuser on a 458 and make it MUCH FASTER on a track. Who would buy that car though? At its essence, the ACR is still just a Gen V Viper ("just"... it's a great sports car) that has been specifically prepped for track use.

In the eternal world of compromises, if you are making "no compromises" for the track, why don't you just buy a Radical?

The Z07 is superb only in its "dual role" ability to go fast on a track and still be a functional road machine. It would be very difficult to think of a car that does BOTH of those things better. Simply put, the wild racer looks of the ACR (which I love, btw), are also what makes almost no one want to drive one to work every day.

Last edited by Flyboy22; 07-19-2015 at 07:10 PM.
Old 07-19-2015, 05:18 PM
C6Z06C6
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by NytmereZ
I don't like huge wings either, it why I bought a TA , but at least people can remove that wing if they choose when not tracking the car, the is no solution for the ugly rear end of the C7, that is after you remove the cheap looking tacky plastic flap, spats etc....
I don't think dodge is looking at the Z06 as competition, it has bigger fish to fry.
So much butthurt

Get notified of new replies

To Will GM pony up a new Z07 to challenge VIPER ACR?

Old 07-19-2015, 06:44 PM
harlold
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by tipsyhemi
i think its a dangerous assumption to think that the viper is that much faster than a z07.

lot of hype right now, but the viper in gen5 doesn't exactly hit its targets reliably.
what failures to hit targets?

like overheating or throwing an engine during reviews?
Old 07-19-2015, 07:59 PM
05dsom
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by RBK
The Viper is very likely faster, which is also true of a few others. Is this the reason YOU bought the Z 06? The rear wing can only be described as a "necessary" aberration designed to "beat" whomever they see as competition, at the expense of anything resembling art/beauty, or even good taste. I just saw the Ferrari 488 and had a similar, but much more reserved impression. I own a 458, arguably, a beautiful and imo, the best all around 2 seat road car. But the new 488, with 100 more hp, now relying on twin turbo's, takes away the beautiful melody of the naturally aspirated engine. As for aesthetics, the designers added a whole bunch of vents, designed specifically for down force and air flow (important on a race track), arguably of little value to the ascot and leather glove set. Clearly the 488 is a "functional" improvement over the 458, but not over the form and "street" function of the 458. I don't know where car manufacturing and design will go, considering how fast and efficient the Tesla is (as an example), but racing requires that form follow function, while the majority of those I have followed on forums, really buy form and seldom fully utilize function. Best

I agree that the 458 may be more pretty than the ACR, but it will be easily beat by the new ACR (as it is by the old Z07, new Z07, ZR1, old ACR, NIsmo GTR, old GTR, etc., etc,) on track.

this car is for the track. Is it street legal? yes. but few/none will see C&C.

If you have a C&C car, that is fine, but don't expect it to outrun this car in a 30 minute season at COTA @ 100*F.
Old 07-19-2015, 08:30 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by C6Z06C6
So much butthurt
, the new Z hasn't even beat the viper TA, how the hell is it going to beat something that is projected to be 7 seconds faster around a course.

Quick Reply: Will GM pony up a new Z07 to challenge VIPER ACR?