Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Will this new clutch fit?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 10:03 PM
Scottd
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 80 Posts

Default Will this new clutch fit?

I dont have anywhere else to post this, so here goes nothing....

Im doing a clutch job on a 1955 Pontiac and for the life of me I cannot find a replacement clutch. After spending some time with the local parts store guys, we ordered a generic GM assembly from a 1962 1/2 ton truck.

Now, the bolt pattern matches the flywheel, everything seems ok, BUT....the assembled height of the new assembly is about 1/4 inch LOWER than the stock unit. (Stock unit measures about 2 1/8th high, new unit is about 1 7/8ths tall)

I think there is enough play in these old cars to make up for the pedal travel, but Im still hesitant...

Is this going to work?
Old 07-31-2015, 09:04 PM
Scottd
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 80 Posts

99 views and nothing? Cmon folks, I expect better from ya.
Old 08-20-2015, 10:06 PM
bob guzzy
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

I would pop it in then see if you have enough clutch pedal, you might have to substitute a throw-out bearing that is a little bit taller to make up the difference.

If it was me I would install the clutch then push the trans (with 2 bolts), then lift the trans with a floor jack so it's straight.

If you feel you have enough pedal to release the pressure plate, with the trans in gear push in the clutch, if it's right the tail shaft will spin free.

I'm not sure what transmission was in the 55 I know 53 had a one arm bandit but a 55 should have the same trans as a 55 chevy which was a cast iron unit with the wide bolt pattern http://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-Chevrolet...-/141747779088

If it has the transmission like above everything should be just like a chevy

Get notified of new replies

To Will this new clutch fit?

Quick Reply: Will this new clutch fit?