Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Sobering Case on Street Racing

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 04:54 PM
kverges
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Sobering Case on Street Racing

I've gotten into it as a fuddy-duddy about street racing and gotten called names, but thought I'd post regarding a real-life case from Arlington Texas. I can almost hear now how the street-racing aficionados would never been this reckless, but the defendant is going to prison even though HE HIT NO ONE. The other clown hit a car that turned left into the intersection. Notably, the defendant and the guy he was racing BOTH HAD THE RIGHT OF WAY - their light was green. The guy who was killed was not wearing a seatbelt and should have yielded; instead he turned left in front of the defendant.

Moral of the story is - you "race" and there is a crash because everyone else got it all wrong and you hit nothing and had the right of way, you can still go to jail.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
racing case.pdf (105.4 KB, 182 views)
Old 08-05-2015, 05:00 PM
sanantguy
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Excuse me, I have a race to get to.

You wanna play, you gotta pay. This goes for all things in life. Choose wisely.
Old 08-05-2015, 05:28 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,289 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

This is in C7 Gen why?
Old 08-05-2015, 05:55 PM
kverges
Burning Brakes

I was uncertain where to put it; I picked a highly trafficked area. I did not think it belonged in the racing-oriented sections as those folks already go to the track to go fast. If it is better placed elsewhere I am open to suggestions, but I thought it was worth a read.

BTW quip above is great; dead guy's family would probably wish they could figure out a way to have not paid for the "play."

Oh, never mind, I see this already got buried in the "we don't want to hear it section."

Oddly, the post about the guy who openly races on a public road gets to stay in a C7 forum.

Last edited by kverges; 08-05-2015 at 05:58 PM.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:15 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Of course the other post gets to stay in C7 Gen! You weren't under a mistaken impression that life has to be fair, were you? Look at the guy who died--was that fair? Some would say it was...one, small mistake and he's dead. Nah, life isn't fair, life isn't perfect, people street race even tho they think it might be both illegal, and dangerous. People are not perfect, and that's not fair. But it is fact.
Old 08-06-2015, 11:03 AM
kverges
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AORoads
Of course the other post gets to stay in C7 Gen! You weren't under a mistaken impression that life has to be fair, were you? Look at the guy who died--was that fair? Some would say it was...one, small mistake and he's dead. Nah, life isn't fair, life isn't perfect, people street race even tho they think it might be both illegal, and dangerous. People are not perfect, and that's not fair. But it is fact.
Agreed, but figured that a counterpoint to the posts that seem to condone if not sensationalize street racing might be worth a read and serious consideration. But you are probably right, most folks will brush it off as "whoops, I'm not perfect."
Old 08-14-2015, 10:44 AM
Chevy Guy
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by kverges
I've gotten into it as a fuddy-duddy about street racing and gotten called names, but thought I'd post regarding a real-life case from Arlington Texas. I can almost hear now how the street-racing aficionados would never been this reckless, but the defendant is going to prison even though HE HIT NO ONE. The other clown hit a car that turned left into the intersection. Notably, the defendant and the guy he was racing BOTH HAD THE RIGHT OF WAY - their light was green. The guy who was killed was not wearing a seatbelt and should have yielded; instead he turned left in front of the defendant.

Moral of the story is - you "race" and there is a crash because everyone else got it all wrong and you hit nothing and had the right of way, you can still go to jail.
OK - yeah, street racing is dangerous. People will still do it, just like people still smoke, do heroin, and commit suicide.

You cant legislate morality, intelligence, nor good behavior. What is your point here?
Old 08-18-2015, 03:08 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

I guess going to the tx2k events would give you a heart attack..Superbowl of street racing and we aren't talking civics here..Well you should know you live there

Get notified of new replies

To Sobering Case on Street Racing