Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

This is why I don't go to the track

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 01:09 PM
floraneg
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Default This is why I don't go to the track

Old 09-03-2015, 01:14 PM
rsalco
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That's more likely to happen on the way to a 7-11 than on a track.
Old 09-03-2015, 01:14 PM
Runs11s
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Now THAT will ruin anyone's day.

Poor guy. But - what a testament to Audi's build quality and driver protection.
Old 09-03-2015, 01:17 PM
Rguy271
Pro

Received 106 Likes on 76 Posts

Happens on main roads everyday also, do you not go there?
Old 09-03-2015, 01:17 PM
GraphicDisorder
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like he went off in a pretty common spot lol.
Old 09-03-2015, 01:32 PM
Dabigsnake
Pro

Received 106 Likes on 63 Posts

But you bought a performance track-able car to tote groceries and go to Church? Guys some people just want to LOOK cool. You a Show-er, not a Go-er. Too many people drive over their heads, and create this situation. It's the loose nut behind the wheel that is usually the problem. If a wreck stops you from enjoying your car on the track, it's mainly because you have no confidence in your ability on the track, or your ability to go slow and enjoy the track. No body makes you go fast, it's your own damn fault. Self control, is important in EVERYTHING you do.
Old 09-03-2015, 01:55 PM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Going to the track does not guarantee you or your car will not be hurt.

What it guarantees (should) you will not hurt another car or person who are not willingly participating in an activity that can damage both cars and persons

This is in addition to doing it it legally and not having to worry about hurting any innocent persons who because of some idiot were at the right place but at the wrong time
Old 09-03-2015, 02:03 PM
jklein7
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

SH*T happens!!!!
Old 09-03-2015, 02:58 PM
C7_Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts
Default This is why I don't go to the track?

Really?? That's quite a closed-minded / stereotypical approach...

You typically have instructors with the novices and there are flags and point-by rules to abide by... and if you don't focus on your driving lines or push beyond your skill level or simply pretend to be Juan Pablo Montoya when you're clearly not, then it's no one else but your own dang fault to blame.

Good HPDE track organizers will also enforce rules and monitor skill levels... safety is always first. Accidents can/will happen but there's more risk to have a major mishap on public roads than on the road course, IMO.

I have a friend with a C7 who said the same thing about hpde's.... ignorant mentality is all I can think of.

Originally Posted by Dabigsnake
But you bought a performance track-able car to tote groceries and go to Church? Guys some people just want to LOOK cool. You a Show-er, not a Go-er. Too many people drive over their heads, and create this situation. It's the loose nut behind the wheel that is usually the problem. If a wreck stops you from enjoying your car on the track, it's mainly because you have no confidence in your ability on the track, or your ability to go slow and enjoy the track. No body makes you go fast, it's your own damn fault. Self control, is important in EVERYTHING you do.
Oh and ...as well as to the other good points others have posted in this thread.

So OP, ask yourself again when you see an accident in the street or highway... and then say to yourself... "This is why I don't drive on public roads!"
Old 09-03-2015, 03:01 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

The owner is thinking it is NOT all what it's CRACKED UP to be!
Old 09-03-2015, 03:20 PM
kverges
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 18 Posts

If you can't afford to wad it up and walk away, don't track it. Only a fool thinks it's impossible to destroy a car. That said, I've been running DE with Apex Driving Academy for over 12 yrs and never any car-car contact and at most damaged cones. Track driving can be very safe and I've had precious little damage doing it for many years.

IMO having a car like the Z06 and using it only on the street means you are wasting a huge part of the performance envelope. Like dating Kate Beckinsale but she never wears less than a bikini (getting past that is dangerous, too!)
Old 09-03-2015, 03:35 PM
DaveN007
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

This is why you let the car go off track in a straight line instead of trying to correct an uncorrectable error.

I have video at Sonoma in the Z06 coming in too hot (or so I believed) at the end of the main straight. I always choose an agricultural excursion over "sideways in the dirt". It doesn't look as dramatic as sliding sideways, but it is a lot safer. Going into turn one at Thunderhill is another weed-whacking opportunity for the cautious driver who prefers driving home in a shiny, smooth car.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:21 PM
bob guzzy
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

You pay your money and take your chances, racing has always been that way.

Too bad, it was probably someones daily transportation out for some fun that ended badly.
Old 09-04-2015, 12:41 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,924 Likes on 5,330 Posts

The Audi driver commented on his errors which by the way are common errors made on tracks, streets and highways all around the world. He entered the turn incorrectly (the same mistake is made on public roads), then he compounded the problem by making another mistake of trying to pull the car back on the pavement (the same mistake is made on public roads). The difference here is the driver didn't have any trees or other obstructions to hit as he went off the track on either side. A lot of times when the first mistake is made and the car goes off the highway there is no second mistake because the car is wrapped around an obstacle of some sort.

This video also points out something that a lot of people feel good about on tracks like this that seem to have a lot of run off room. They never think about the car tripping in the dirt and rolling. Sometimes it is better to have some guardrails to run into that channel you down the track, keep the car on the pavement and reduce the chance of it rolling over. Either way the car is totaled but it is probably better for the occupant if it doesn't roll over.

Bill
Old 09-04-2015, 01:01 PM
rsalco
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
The Audi driver commented on his errors which by the way are common errors made on tracks, streets and highways all around the world. He entered the turn incorrectly (the same mistake is made on public roads), then he compounded the problem by making another mistake of trying to pull the car back on the pavement (the same mistake is made on public roads). The difference here is the driver didn't have any trees or other obstructions to hit as he went off the track on either side. A lot of times when the first mistake is made and the car goes off the highway there is no second mistake because the car is wrapped around an obstacle of some sort.

This video also points out something that a lot of people feel good about on tracks like this that seem to have a lot of run off room. They never think about the car tripping in the dirt and rolling. Sometimes it is better to have some guardrails to run into that channel you down the track, keep the car on the pavement and reduce the chance of it rolling over. Either way the car is totaled but it is probably better for the occupant if it doesn't roll over.

Bill
"......some guardrails to run into....." Yeah - like the 'Glen, eh...? How'd that work out for several of the NASCAR lads?
Old 09-04-2015, 02:45 PM
kverges
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bob guzzy
You pay your money and take your chances, racing has always been that way.

Too bad, it was probably someones daily transportation out for some fun that ended badly.
I don't think it was a race
Old 09-04-2015, 02:50 PM
kverges
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DaveN007
This is why you let the car go off track in a straight line instead of trying to correct an uncorrectable error.

I have video at Sonoma in the Z06 coming in too hot (or so I believed) at the end of the main straight. I always choose an agricultural excursion over "sideways in the dirt". It doesn't look as dramatic as sliding sideways, but it is a lot safer. Going into turn one at Thunderhill is another weed-whacking opportunity for the cautious driver who prefers driving home in a shiny, smooth car.
Exactly; he would have been far better off by letting the car depart the track to the left in a straight line - I did not see any obstructions over there.

Get notified of new replies

To This is why I don't go to the track

Old 09-04-2015, 02:52 PM
C7_Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by kverges
I don't think it was a race
Correct. That's the misnomer... but in fairness lots of naive ones don't realize nor understand that HPDE's is not and should not be a race. Sure as skills progress you try to go quicker lap per lap but there are rules and etiquette to abide by. There are no podium finishes and many times you can't even get repeated clean laps.
Old 09-04-2015, 06:00 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,924 Likes on 5,330 Posts

Originally Posted by rsalco
"......some guardrails to run into....." Yeah - like the 'Glen, eh...? How'd that work out for several of the NASCAR lads?
The purpose of the rails is to channel the cars down the track instead of having them hit other things outside of the track surface. Usually those blows are glancing ones although there are a few head ons at T1, T7, T10 due to people over reacting and spinning their car like this guy did. Not like at VIR where there is a nice drop off coming off of the turn at the top of the esses. If you make a mistake there and go off to the right at speed you don't dare try and pull it back on the pavement because the car will go to the left across a nice wide section of grass and be totaled when it hits the tire wall, if the driver does as recommended and just drives straight into the grass the car will go down into a nice dip before heading up hill in the grass. The dip will probably do severe damage to the car as well just less to the occupants. It looks safer but may actually be less safe than having guard rails that generally keep the car on the asphalt. The run off room is more illusory than real.

Bill
Old 09-04-2015, 07:28 PM
anders1118
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Dabigsnake
LOL i agree. Keep in mind most of the folks on this forum are old and YES they do only buy this car to look cool haha.

Going by what OP says, maybe i shouldn't go out tonight cause i may get hit by another car. What OP should have said is....I don't go to the track cause i'm old and can't drive. Don't want my blood pressure to skyrocket!