Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

your audi is about to get slower.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 01:04 PM
Crabbers
Le Mans Master

Received 116 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by LDB
Neither my nor your opinion constitutes fact that everyone must believe in. You may be saying it’s a non-story, but at least for now, the news media and the VW stock price seem to disagree with you. We’ll see how it plays out over the coming weeks and months. As for naiveté, I retired at a level in my company where I personally knew many of the top power people, and was no slouch in that area myself. I think I can say with reasonable confidence that the VW level of cheating would astonish all of them as much as it did me. As noted earlier, that’s not a naïve claim of anyone being squeaky clean. It’s simply that in my opinion and experience, this goes miles beyond any plausible claim of it being typical corporate behavior. Do people and companies take little baby steps in that direction fairly often, such as GM’s manual transmission skip shift? Sure. But this is in a totally different league.
Well, my opinion is that it's a non-story in the sense that it's not nearly as bad as everyone is making it out to be. Yes it's a huge story for the public, but as far as actual environmental, impact it's nothing really that big. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree though.
Old 09-22-2015, 02:01 PM
rob62
Safety Car

Received 1,733 Likes on 874 Posts

It's about the deception. Not to mention how America goes above and beyond environmentally while the rest of the world laughs. STORY.
Old 09-22-2015, 02:30 PM
LDB
Drifting

Received 1,069 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by Crabbers
Well, my opinion is that it's a non-story in the sense that it's not nearly as bad as everyone is making it out to be. Yes it's a huge story for the public, but as far as actual environmental, impact it's nothing really that big. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree though.
We’ll indeed have to disagree. NOX matters everywhere, and in certain areas like the LA basin, it’s critical. Would one, or even 100, or maybe even 1000 of these VW’s operating in LA cause a big difference? Not likely. But now suppose all diesel engines operating in LA were suddenly a factor of 40 higher on NOX. Not much doubt you’d see a huge difference from that. And if you say a factor of 40 NOX difference matters on diesel engines taken as a whole, how can you turn right around and say that if the diesel engine happens to have a VW label on it, it doesn’t matter?

VW gained a huge competitive advantage from having a diesel that was more responsive than other diesels. But they didn’t get it via the honest path of creating a better diesel. They got it by cheating on NOX. Anybody with any knowledge of diesels and emissions would know that it’s easy as pie to make a very responsive diesel if you ignore NOX. But almost everybody who knows that would be ethical enough not to take that path. VW was the exception, taking the unethical path. Sorry, but I just can’t imagine that very many people who really understand what they did would call it a non-story. And in the very unlikely event that it should prove to be the tip of the iceberg, with most companies doing similar things as you have implied in some of your posts, then the story grows from being big to being truly gigantic. I don’t see how it could ever turn into a non-story.
Old 09-22-2015, 03:00 PM
Crabbers
Le Mans Master

Received 116 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by LDB
We’ll indeed have to disagree. NOX matters everywhere, and in certain areas like the LA basin, it’s critical. Would one, or even 100, or maybe even 1000 of these VW’s operating in LA cause a big difference? Not likely. But now suppose all diesel engines operating in LA were suddenly a factor of 40 higher on NOX. Not much doubt you’d see a huge difference from that. And if you say a factor of 40 NOX difference matters on diesel engines taken as a whole, how can you turn right around and say that if the diesel engine happens to have a VW label on it, it doesn’t matter?

VW gained a huge competitive advantage from having a diesel that was more responsive than other diesels. But they didn’t get it via the honest path of creating a better diesel. They got it by cheating on NOX. Anybody with any knowledge of diesels and emissions would know that it’s easy as pie to make a very responsive diesel if you ignore NOX. But almost everybody who knows that would be ethical enough not to take that path. VW was the exception, taking the unethical path. Sorry, but I just can’t imagine that very many people who really understand what they did would call it a non-story. And in the very unlikely event that it should prove to be the tip of the iceberg, with most companies doing similar things as you have implied in some of your posts, then the story grows from being big to being truly gigantic. I don’t see how it could ever turn into a non-story.
I can't seem to make a point without people twisting my words.

1.) This isn't the norm, but it happens. People cheat the system. Sometimes they get caught, sometimes they don't. Sometimes they cheat the system by one person's standards, but the EPA doesn't think they did.

2.) This has happened before. It will happen again. The companies are going to get initially threatened with a huge fine and then rectify the issue at less of a cost.

3.) This isn't ethical. It's not the right way to do things. I don't think it's okay to do so. But it happens and life will go on. The sky isn't falling. It's not the end of the world.

But I'd be willing to bet your going to try and tell me I just said that everyone is outright cheating all of the time and the world is going to overheat tomorrow. VW is going to get a slap on the wrist, they're going to fix the issue, and then life will go on exactly the same as before. Nobody seems to care about GM's known ignition issue that they dismissed that killed people anymore (I think we can all agree that's worse than what VW did), I mean look at all of the people that just bought new Corvettes.
Old 09-22-2015, 04:04 PM
LDB
Drifting

Originally Posted by Crabbers
I can't seem to make a point without people twisting my words.

1.) This isn't the norm, but it happens. People cheat the system. Sometimes they get caught, sometimes they don't. Sometimes they cheat the system by one person's standards, but the EPA doesn't think they did.

2.) This has happened before. It will happen again. The companies are going to get initially threatened with a huge fine and then rectify the issue at less of a cost.

3.) This isn't ethical. It's not the right way to do things. I don't think it's okay to do so. But it happens and life will go on. The sky isn't falling. It's not the end of the world.

But I'd be willing to bet your going to try and tell me I just said that everyone is outright cheating all of the time and the world is going to overheat tomorrow. VW is going to get a slap on the wrist, they're going to fix the issue, and then life will go on exactly the same as before. Nobody seems to care about GM's known ignition issue that they dismissed that killed people anymore (I think we can all agree that's worse than what VW did), I mean look at all of the people that just bought new Corvettes.
I’m not going to try to tell you most of those things, but I will say that I believe the VW offense is worse than the GM ignition switch offense in all respects but one. I acknowledge that the ignition issue killed some people. So did Toyota’s sudden acceleration, the DC-10 cargo door, and any number of other industrial fiascos. In that respect, the VW offense is less severe. Long term if left alone, I think the VW fiasco could well have killed more through long term effects of air pollution, but that’s certainly debatable, so for now, I’ll concede the point that the VW consequences are less severe than those in many other fiascos. But the thing that sets it apart as a unique offense is the degree of premeditation.

In all of the other fiascos, the initial error was an honest design mistake. People screw up from time to time. Yes, the companies were slow to admit and correct the mistakes, and that slowness cost additional lives. But the initial lives lost and the initial problem was a human mistake. In many of your posts, you keep coming back to some variant of the “everybody’s doing it” notion. But I’d say that applies to the other fiascos, not to VW. Everybody makes mistakes, and once they make mistakes, almost everybody is slow to admit them. But that’s not what happened with VW. They didn’t make a mistake. They planned and executed a deception. In my view, that is seriously unethical intent from the get go, which puts it in a different and worse class from the fiascos where the initial problem was an honest mistake, and the culpable portion was slow reaction to that initially honest mistake.

If judged only by the criteria of harm that can be proven to have come from the mistake, I concede that the VW case is less serious than many other corporate fiascos. But if judged by ethics of the initial decisions leading up to the problem, I can’t think of any corporate fiascos that are as clear cut and wrong as the VW case. Even if you take something really extreme like Chernobyl, it’s not like those guys sat around and said let’s go cause a meltdown. The VW guys sat around and said let’s cheat. The evidence is clear, it’s designed into their cars. With regard to unethical intent, it just doesn’t get any worse than that.
Old 09-22-2015, 05:34 PM
White Out
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by rob62
It's about the deception. Not to mention how California goes above and beyond environmentally while the rest of the country laughs. STORY.
Fixed it for you.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:04 PM
rob62
Safety Car

Received 1,733 Likes on 874 Posts

o.k.
Old 09-22-2015, 11:01 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

Originally Posted by LDB
The stories I've seen said nearly half a million cars, but regardless of the exact number, the degree of dishonesty in a known, planned, intentional bypassing of regulations is unparalleled.
IMHO, LDB I read all your posts and think you've got a pretty good handle on the situation. But, I just want to add, the actions by VW that really got my attention is, according to the press release they tried to deceive the federal investigators. I've spent most of my life working in the compliance and quality profession and have dealt with federal investigators. If someone did try to deceive them, that's very serious and if it was a corporate action to deceive, then anyone who thinks this is going away is not facing reality. If that's true, this is only the beginning for VW's problems. Will the Fed decide to pursue a consent decree with VW to seize their profits from the sale of these half million cars in the US? A lot will depend on what the investigation finds and the lack of control corporate has over their operations and who knew what and when.
As for European operations, I wouldn't underestimate how the EU will react.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:14 AM
LDB
Drifting

Originally Posted by roadbike56
IMHO, LDB I read all your posts and think you've got a pretty good handle on the situation. But, I just want to add, the actions by VW that really got my attention is, according to the press release they tried to deceive the federal investigators. I've spent most of my life working in the compliance and quality profession and have dealt with federal investigators. If someone did try to deceive them, that's very serious and if it was a corporate action to deceive, then anyone who thinks this is going away is not facing reality. If that's true, this is only the beginning for VW's problems. Will the Fed decide to pursue a consent decree with VW to seize their profits from the sale of these half million cars in the US? A lot will depend on what the investigation finds and the lack of control corporate has over their operations and who knew what and when.
As for European operations, I wouldn't underestimate how the EU will react.
Thanks, and I agree with your points too. While true that US regulations on many types of pollution are more strict than Europe, they obviously care, as Europe is leading the way on greenhouse gas and global warming. They also have 20 times as many affected cars as we do, about 11 million. Various ones of the “no big deal” crowd have talked about naiveté. For my part, I’d say it’s pretty naïve to think this isn’t going to be a huge, long term, world wide scandal, and unless some real mitigating factors turn up that aren’t yet apparent, VW richly deserves it. Finally, in what I believe is the very unlikely event that it turns out others really are cheating as blatantly as VW, I think that expands the scope of the scandal, it doesn’t let VW off the hook. But call me naïve if you wish, I’m going to be truly astonished if this ends up being shown to be anything even approaching typical auto maker behavior.
Old 09-24-2015, 11:16 AM
White Out
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

The plot thickens . . . BMW also caught

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11509249...-levels-shares

BMW caught cheating with nitric oxide levels, shares down by 8%

X3 records more than eleven times higher nitric oxide levels

Hot on the heels of Volkswagen’s huge diesel scandal, BMW could also get into trouble as it seems they were also cheating on emissions tests.
AutoBild reports the X3 xDrive 20d has failed during a street test performed by the International Council on Clean Transportation, showing more than eleven times higher emissions of nitric oxide than permitted by the European Union.
The information is still not confirmed by the Bavarian manufacturer, but the shares of the company have already fallen with more than 8% since Thursday morning.
Full details about the research are expected tomorrow with the next issue of the AutoBild magazine.
Old 09-24-2015, 11:47 AM
LDB
Drifting

At least so far, this appears considerably less severe than the VW case. The exact tests run on the BMW are unclear, and BMW issued a statement saying they did not use any type of defeat device like VW did. That could mean they got an isolated bad BMW or are using more stringent tests than required. Of course it’s also possible that BMW emissions grow with time, and the possibility they lied and also use bypassing strategy like VW still can’t be ruled out. As they say, stay tuned for the next exciting chapter, which will presumably be when AutoBild magazine reveals the exact nature of their findings.