Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

VW emissions scandal

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 11:18 AM
LDB
Drifting

Received 1,069 Likes on 433 Posts

Default VW emissions scandal

A huge technology scandal is in the process of happening. Volkswagen, which also owns Porsche, Audi, Bentley, and Lamborghini, has been building diesel engines for several years that are specifically, willfully, and knowingly designed to bypass emissions regulations. This isn’t something that was a design flaw or accident that they were slow to recognize and admit (like the GM ignition switch, DC-10 cargo doors, space shuttle O-rings, etc), this is intentionally cheating right from the design stage. VW stock lost almost 30% yesterday as the story broke. They are potentially exposed to as much as 20 billion in fines, and who knows how much damage to their reputation.

The cheating method is that the engine computer is programmed to recognize when the car is undergoing emissions testing. The stories I’ve seen don’t specifically say how it does this, but I suspect that the car’s diagnostic testing connector is hooked up during emissions tests and the engine computer recognizes signal patterns sent out by the testing. In any event, once the engine computer recognizes that it’s an engine test cycle, it activates all possible emissions control procedures. But in normal driving, many of those controls are bypassed, and the engines emit about 40 times the legal limit of NOX (oxides of nitrogen), which are the most difficult pollutants to control in diesel engines. The engine controls necessary to meet NOX in a diesel make them less powerful and responsive. Since VW diesels have bypassed the controls in normal driving, they are much more responsive than most diesels, which is why they have had such a good reputation until now.

It’s hard to imagine how this kind of decision could possibly have been made. Hey Wolfgang, I think I’ve figured out a way to cheat on emissions that will make our engines a whole lot better than the competition. It’s so subtle nobody will ever figure it out. Good plan Gerhardt, who cares about emissions regulations anyway, they’ve been a thorn in our side for years. Nobody else will have the sangfroid to cheat, so we’ll conquer the world. And they actually did it. Not just a mistake they were slow to recognize or admit. A known, planned, intentional, and serious corporate dishonesty. Simply amazing. Will be interesting to see how this one plays out.
Old 09-21-2015, 06:33 PM
Ryan427
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 23 Posts

chime in on the discussion here: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...sel-issue.html
Old 09-21-2015, 08:05 PM
LDB
Drifting

Received 1,069 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan427
The off topic general and off topic political forums are way too far right and too blindly anti-regulation for my taste. I notice that you aren't participating in that thread either. I don’t mind controversy, but neither am I a glutton for punishment. Entering that thread after 4 pages of almost entirely anti-regulation rant wouldn’t accomplish much beyond reinvigorating the rants. So I'll just stay on this forum and continue the friendly exchange of ideas such as with WhiteOut in the related "your Audi is about to get slower" thread.

Get notified of new replies

To VW emissions scandal