Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

What happens to our Z, if this is true? Viper last stand!?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 05:52 PM
Dominic Toretto
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not worried. The Viper was "killed" before and it came back.

-Alex
Old 11-03-2015, 06:09 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

I use to think the Viper's end of production would severely hurt Corvette but not so much anymore. The performance car market is huge now and everyone has stepped their game up. They're both great brands but if we flipped this scenario of "Corvette to die 2017", and we mentioned this hurting the future of the Viper, we'd get a lot of, these little guys:

It's not a Vette Viper world anymore. Hate to see the Viper go, if it must, but GM has competitors crawling out of the woodwork it can lock horns with going forward. Not to mention the aftermarket for performance cars now is serious big business. No matter how fast these cars get from the big three, the aftermarket finds ways to make them faster. That also includes if some brands get watered down in the future. Your salvation from lack luster performance is just a few clicks away on some tuner or parts supplier's website.

Last edited by 1985 Corvette; 11-03-2015 at 06:13 PM.
Old 11-03-2015, 07:49 PM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by 1985 Corvette
I use to think the Viper's end of production would severely hurt Corvette but not so much anymore
I disagree here. They are two American heavy weights (in fact) the heaviest of them. Im not talking sales here, but I believe the existence of the other party keep the designers on their toes.
Old 11-03-2015, 07:50 PM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Dominic Toretto
Not worried. The Viper was "killed" before and it came back.

-Alex
it was never killed, just went into exile
Old 11-03-2015, 08:29 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
I disagree here. They are two American heavy weights (in fact) the heaviest of them. Im not talking sales here, but I believe the existence of the other party keep the designers on their toes.
It use to be a nice feather in the cap of Corvette at one point to cross paths with Viper. The 405 hp mark was no coincidence of the 1993 ZR-1 back in the day to best the then new R/T 10. It was almost an obsession for Corvette back during the C5R days to try and best the Oreca Vipers. Without a doubt, Team Corvette has gotten better because of Viper but I think it helped get Corvette to such a level that it's no longer dependent on the Viper's presence anymore.

What do you think is turning people off to Viper? I shared my thoughts but it'd be nice to get an owner's perspective. It's not a car for everyone but you could say that about a lot of cars that are still doing well.
Old 11-03-2015, 09:11 PM
harlold
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 1985 Corvette
It use to be a nice feather in the cap of Corvette at one point to cross paths with Viper. The 405 hp mark was no coincidence of the 1993 ZR-1 back in the day to best the then new R/T 10. It was almost an obsession for Corvette back during the C5R days to try and best the Oreca Vipers. Without a doubt, Team Corvette has gotten better because of Viper but I think it helped get Corvette to such a level that it's no longer dependent on the Viper's presence anymore.

What do you think is turning people off to Viper? I shared my thoughts but it'd be nice to get an owner's perspective. It's not a car for everyone but you could say that about a lot of cars that are still doing well.
With the exception of the C7 Z06, there really aren't a lot of cars in the 100k range that sell well. The ZR1 wasn't a huge seller. (The Corvettes long history is without a doubt the booster behind its sales)

The GT-R isn't a big seller. The R8 wasn't a big seller. There aren't huge numbers of M5 and M6 sold.

It is a bizarre price point.
Old 11-03-2015, 09:20 PM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

My own personal thoughts are in this world that we live in, everything revolves around convenience and compromise. This is no different than what our cars are made to offer, even the performance ones (and even more so in some ways). Viper was never the car to offer any of the said above.

Even though Gen V now has the electronic aids, Viper is still the total and complete drivers car. It is driver dependent and not really willing to compromise. It is rear wheel drive, and ONLY comes in manual.

Viper was never really made to appeal to the masses and in todays day all modern technology and convenience, it has lost even more appeal.

Note-not to mention how the Gen V was originally over priced.

Quick Reply: What happens to our Z, if this is true? Viper last stand!?