Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Does anyone know anything about a 2007-2009 Porsche turbo tiptronic transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 09:16 AM
Victor
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Does anyone know anything about a 2007-2009 Porsche turbo tiptronic transmission?

Ideally I'd like to skip the tiptronic tranny and get a manual, but the auto is faster than the manual. From what I understand the 2007 tiptronic was tricky to get the launch control just right. Did they get the kinks ironed out in the 2008 or 2009 tiptronic? Is the launch control easier to nail every time in these years?

I'd also give the 2010 or later turbo with the PDK some thought but those cars are out of my price range.

I know this is a Corvette forum and I'll probably get kicked in the groin for talking about a Porsche here but I've been thinking about getting something that I can put my two kids into when I need to pick them up at school, has some pep to it, and I can drive year round in the winter weather. As much as I like Corvettes and they are a great performance value it is really hard to convince my wife that it could even be the least bit practical to get a new one.
Old 10-29-2015, 09:29 AM
carcrazyandbroke
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Victor
Ideally I'd like to skip the tiptronic tranny and get a manual, but the auto is faster than the manual. From what I understand the 2007 tiptronic was tricky to get the launch control just right. Did they get the kinks ironed out in the 2008 or 2009 tiptronic? Is the launch control easier to nail every time in these years?

I'd also give the 2010 or later turbo with the PDK some thought but those cars are out of my price range.

I know this is a Corvette forum and I'll probably get kicked in the groin for talking about a Porsche here but I've been thinking about getting something that I can put my two kids into when I need to pick them up at school, has some pep to it, and I can drive year round in the winter weather. As much as I like Corvettes and they are a great performance value it is really hard to convince my wife that it could even be the least bit practical to get a new one.
You're thinking of buying a Porsche as a DD and worried about launch control?

We have a 8.5 sec second car and launch it the old fashioned way. Pedal to the floor and hang on.
Old 10-29-2015, 01:30 PM
Victor
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by carcrazyandbroke
You're thinking of buying a Porsche as a DD and worried about launch control?

We have a 8.5 sec second car and launch it the old fashioned way. Pedal to the floor and hang on.
I'm with you on the crazy thing. Honestly any semi-sporty car made in the last 20 years will feel lightning lightning fast compared to what I'm currently driving.

Right now I drive a '79 Corvette and get stuck borrowing my wife's VW Beetle in inclimite weather (it's front wheel drive and does decent in snow) and when I need to cart the kids around.

I love my '79 but it isn't "fast" by any means by today's standards. Even with a 465 hp 383 that I put in 9 years ago it's still nothing special.

Last edited by Victor; 10-29-2015 at 01:32 PM.
Old 10-29-2015, 01:47 PM
ttboost1
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 32 Posts

PDK is faster than manual in a Porsche, but I really doubt tiptronic is.
Old 10-30-2015, 10:10 AM
PeterK
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12
2012 Election Contest Winner

Tiptonic sucked! There is a reason why the 6sp cars carry a premium over toptonic.

Last edited by PeterK; 10-30-2015 at 10:10 AM.
Old 10-30-2015, 06:53 PM
Victor
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by PeterK
Tiptonic sucked! There is a reason why the 6sp cars carry a premium over toptonic.
Point taken.

The more I read about it, the less I want a tiptronic.
Old 11-01-2015, 09:28 PM
ssmoke-u
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

You will SERIOUSLY regret getting the tiptronic.
Old 11-01-2015, 10:00 PM
ST31
Drifting

From someone that has one, the tip works great and is the only way I would have the car if driven as a daily. Especially when you put the car in sport mode. Acceleration is between 3.1-3.4.

Shifting in traffic over and over would take the joy out of the car quickly.
Attached Images  
Old 11-02-2015, 11:28 AM
White Out
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Check it out on rennlist and 6speed.

IIRC the tip on the 997.1T is a good trans, but manual is still better. PDK vs. manual is whatever you like better because PDK is that good.
Old 11-02-2015, 02:55 PM
Leonie
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Although I personally bought a manual for sheer enjoyment reasons, the Tiptronic is not as bad as people say.

Ok, it might not be perfect in stock form, but you can reprogram the TCU and even make the steering wheel from the 997.2 PDK with the better paddle shifters work with it.

At least there are tuners in the german Porsche Forums who are able to do that, but I am sure that somewhere in the U.S. aftermarket business there are also people able to perform these kinds of modifications.

And one big advantage: you can mod the car to higher stages without having to upgrade the clutch already when thinking about installing a "Stage 1" upgrade. The Tiptronic is able to withstand some very impressive torque numbers in stock trim!

Best regards, Bernd
Old 11-03-2015, 07:14 AM
Victor
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Leonie
Although I personally bought a manual for sheer enjoyment reasons, the Tiptronic is not as bad as people say.

Ok, it might not be perfect in stock form, but you can reprogram the TCU and even make the steering wheel from the 997.2 PDK with the better paddle shifters work with it.

At least there are tuners in the german Porsche Forums who are able to do that, but I am sure that somewhere in the U.S. aftermarket business there are also people able to perform these kinds of modifications.

And one big advantage: you can mod the car to higher stages without having to upgrade the clutch already when thinking about installing a "Stage 1" upgrade. The Tiptronic is able to withstand some very impressive torque numbers in stock trim!

Best regards, Bernd
Thanks for the input. I think It's going to come down to a test drive for me.

I've driven a manual car for the last 8 years as a daily driver so that alone doesn't scare me. I've heard they have a very stiff clutch, but I'm not sure how stiff they mean.

Anyways, thanks again.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:04 PM
zcobra1
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 52 Posts

2009 TT manual, last Metzger motor, a keeper and will be coveted
in the future. If you can deal with the manual in traffic, the way
to go for value and fun.
Old 11-04-2015, 12:23 PM
ssmoke-u
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

^ this
Old 11-04-2015, 06:24 PM
ST31
Drifting

Originally Posted by Victor
Thanks for the input. I think It's going to come down to a test drive for me.

I've driven a manual car for the last 8 years as a daily driver so that alone doesn't scare me. I've heard they have a very stiff clutch, but I'm not sure how stiff they mean.

Anyways, thanks again.
When you go for the test drive remember that auto Porsches start in 2nd gear. Just hit the button to start in 1st if you want for the full expereince.

Last edited by ST31; 11-05-2015 at 10:24 PM.
Old 11-07-2015, 03:04 PM
Leonie
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by zcobra1
2009 TT manual, last Metzger motor, a keeper and will be coveted
in the future. If you can deal with the manual in traffic, the way
to go for value and fun.
Mine is a 2009, the last year of the manual Mezger, and the first year with the "facelifted" PCM3 Nav and Entertainment system, so manual real 2009´s might really be a rare breed in the future.

As I live in an area with little traffic, it is an absolute blast to drive with the MT from day to day.

If I lived in a more urban area, I would perhaps have bought the Tiptronic also...

Best regards, Bernd

Get notified of new replies

To Does anyone know anything about a 2007-2009 Porsche turbo tiptronic transmission?

Quick Reply: Does anyone know anything about a 2007-2009 Porsche turbo tiptronic transmission?