Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

If the CTS-V were AWD, would you care?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 07:25 PM
sublime1996525
Team Owner

Received 200 Likes on 77 Posts

I'd love an AWD V. Could you imagine how much fun that would be in the snow???
Old 11-13-2015, 05:14 PM
lionsfan5454
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sublime1996525
I'd love an AWD V. Could you imagine how much fun that would be in the snow???
Probably not too much different than RWD if both had snow tires. That much power in the snow will overwhelm AWD just as quick as RWD except you get a gross amount of understeer
Old 11-13-2015, 06:43 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

The people saying snow tires make up for it haven't driven an Audi with Quattro and siped Blizzaks. There's just no comparison.

By far the most amazing snow vehicle I've experienced was my Range Rover with chains on all four corners (against the manual). We had a major storm here a decade+ ago and I spent the night ferrying stranded people up the big hill I live by. It was unstoppable, and the bottom of the hill was littered with pickups, Subarus, and you name it. Chains are boss.

Without chains, though, AWD does make an enormous difference. And I say that as someone who grew up in Saskatchewan and does indeed know how to drive in snow... with RWD and no posi, too!
Old 11-14-2015, 10:36 PM
MVR 155
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In XI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

After having single drive cars for years (both FWD and AWD) with all seasons and winter rubber I will tell you that Quattro with Blizzaks is absolutely unbeatable!!! No comparison!!
Old 11-14-2015, 10:39 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Now does it make -sense for a 640hp vehicle to have AWD and snow chains? Of course not, but this is America. Shock and Awe!

For my part I'm not used to the weird touch-then-some-haptic-feedback-later interface they're using in the Cadillacs, but they're still nice cars!
Old 11-16-2015, 02:45 PM
lionsfan5454
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
The people saying snow tires make up for it haven't driven an Audi with Quattro and siped Blizzaks. There's just no comparison.

By far the most amazing snow vehicle I've experienced was my Range Rover with chains on all four corners (against the manual). We had a major storm here a decade+ ago and I spent the night ferrying stranded people up the big hill I live by. It was unstoppable, and the bottom of the hill was littered with pickups, Subarus, and you name it. Chains are boss.

Without chains, though, AWD does make an enormous difference. And I say that as someone who grew up in Saskatchewan and does indeed know how to drive in snow... with RWD and no posi, too!

AWD with snows is, by far, the best choice for snow. But, I'd rather have RWD + snows instead of AWD + all seasons. And, RWD + snows will be just fine for the winter for 99.9% of the time, all without the negatives of AWD.
Old 11-16-2015, 03:38 PM
kverges
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 18 Posts

In my neck of the woods I'd rather have RWD and the 2-400 lb less mass
Old 11-17-2015, 12:00 PM
Witt748
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed, that Quattro with snow tires is no comparison to RWD with snow tires. However in my experience, I would not say that Audi performs any better in the snow than Subaru, both given equal performing snow tires.

Maybe those Subaru's stuck at the bottom of the hill didn't have good performing tires. I've been stuck at the bottom of the hill in my S4 when I didn't change out my summer tires before an early snow, doesn't mean it couldn't handle snow, just wasn't equipped properly.

6 winters driving Quattro's and 5 winters driving Subaru's, I can say there performance in snow is EXREMELY close.

To the original question, I would get a CTS-V in a second as my DD if it were AWD, and I hope it happens. Until then, my next DD will be another Audi or E63, depending on how much $$$ I want/ have to spend. AWD has helped me get to my destination too many times for me to consider RWD with snow tires.
Old 11-17-2015, 01:07 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Witt748
Agreed, that Quattro with snow tires is no comparison to RWD with snow tires. However in my experience, I would not say that Audi performs any better in the snow than Subaru, both given equal performing snow tires.

Maybe those Subaru's stuck at the bottom of the hill didn't have good performing tires.
In that case nothing without chains was making it, and I doubt my Range Rover would have fared too much better (though its still pretty amazing in the snow) than the Subarus would, except ground clearance.

So I was actually comparing a RR with chains to AWD vehicles without, something completely different. Sorry!
Old 11-17-2015, 07:51 PM
Witt748
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In that case nothing without chains was making it, and I doubt my Range Rover would have fared too much better (though its still pretty amazing in the snow) than the Subarus would, except ground clearance.

So I was actually comparing a RR with chains to AWD vehicles without, something completely different. Sorry!
Ahh, my mistake, must have skim read past that
Old 11-18-2015, 08:58 AM
Snake Plissken
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't mind if it were an option for those up north. I live in South FL, awd is pointless down here. Would add a couple hundred pounds to an already chunky car, hurt mpg, hurt steering feel etc. Viva la rwd lol

Last edited by Snake Plissken; 11-18-2015 at 08:58 AM.

Quick Reply: If the CTS-V were AWD, would you care?