Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Laguna Seca record

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 10:25 AM
ZoratZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 959 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by Hirohawa
Thanks for posting all those. Aero add ons look great on the Viper and look tacked on the Corvette as to my original point.

Notice how the real C7R does not use any of the tacked on parts on the Z06 - No Spats No Winglets No wicker bill.

Look Ma - No Spats!

Looks kinda similar to this, no?

Viper ACR uses real race car parts - Z06 doesn't. Lets call them "race inspired".

Viper ACR aero is way more functional and also happens to better looking too as it is what we are used to seeing on real race cars, and nothing looks better than something that actually functions to me.

THANK YOU for proving my point...you took a STREET LEGAL ACR and just compared it a TRACK ONLY Vette...Thank you thank you thank you. Why do you suppose the C7R has those wings??? FOR THE TRACK!! Gee, now I wonder why the ACR has them...maybe or the track??

You're a real gem...thanks for making my point so clearly. You literally took the RACE version of the vette and put it next to the 'street' version of the Viper. Weird how they almost look the same. Do you think the C7R will take the ACR around a track? Yup. Hey it has a roll cage, no headliner, a 6ft rear wing and oh yeah, a diffuser that probably scrapes the ground Oh I'm sorry I just compared a RACE car to the 'street' Viper ACR...my bad.

For a second there I confused the ACR with a race car based on it's looks...my bad.
Old 11-08-2015, 10:34 AM
ZoratZ06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NytmereZ
That is some obvious personal computer photoshop ,why did you feel the need to outline it in white?(your line is squiggly ) it's cracks me up that people are so butt hurt they have to post funny cars... Plexiglass etc...you couldn't drive that on many streets, without getting pulled over, that is if the car doesn't die when you come to a stop in all that bumper to bumper traffic I'm sure you drive the car in

That is #2 pathetic post in this section, that is a trailer queen... Nothing else, you can fool the cars and coffee guys, but not the racers.
Nothing photo shopped there period. http://www.cruisenewsonline.com/57Ch...leFeature.html

There is a whole group of guys who literally DRIVE their pro mods on the highway from one race to the next. So if your'e gonna try to make a point, make sure to be accurate with your info. IT'S STREET LEGAL.

Point is...'street legal' is a loose term. Like when cars have rear diffusers that scrape the ground, which really makes them a serious pain in the a** when actually driving on the street.

Last comment...the Viper boys some how think I'm actually upset over the ACR. Why? I coulda bought one, lol! I think it's a baddass TRACK car, but not something I'd want for a trip to CA or a daily run to starbucks. I'm proud an American car owns those records...especially at a serious discount compared to many other exotics, but what you won't admit is that the ACR is a SERIOUS compromise on 'everyday' streets. Period. For overall balance you get a TA or GTS, not the ACR with extreme aero.

Last edited by ZoratZ06; 11-08-2015 at 10:38 AM.
Old 11-08-2015, 10:46 AM
NineBall
Safety Car

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

You lose all credibility in this argument when you compare streetable pro-mod drag cars, to a legitimate production street car, with all required safety gear, A/C, navigation, leather, traction control, Bluetooth, airbags, crumple zones, rearview camera, DOT tires, TPMS sensors, 911 Emergency button, and an actual VIN#. You keep focusing on that wing, but did you realize that the ACR wing actually blocks less of the rear window view than the Z07 wing? Because the wing is above the glass! Even the TA wing takes up more visibility than the ACR wing.

Seriously, you aren't educating anyone on what is "street legal" here. We get it, the Z06 is more comfortable on short trips. But, I'd venture to say that a CTS-V is an even more confortable choice. But, that doesn't fit your narrative, does it? Who gives a crap about a car being more comfortable, we are talking about 13 national track records here.

All this stuff is, is another failed attempt to discredit the proven results of the ACR. Sour grapes on ice.

Last edited by NineBall; 11-08-2015 at 10:47 AM.
Old 11-08-2015, 11:03 AM
ZoratZ06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NineBall
You lose all credibility in this argument when you compare streetable pro-mod drag cars, to a legitimate production street car, with all required safety gear, A/C, navigation, leather, traction control, Bluetooth, airbags, crumple zones, rearview camera, DOT tires, TPMS sensors, 911 Emergency button, and an actual VIN#. You keep focusing on that wing, but did you realize that the ACR wing actually blocks less of the rear window view than the Z07 wing? Because the wing is above the glass! Even the TA wing takes up more visibility than the ACR wing.

Seriously, you aren't educating anyone on what is "street legal" here. We get it, the Z06 is more comfortable on short trips. But, I'd venture to say that a CTS-V is an even more confortable choice. But, that doesn't fit your narrative, does it? Who gives a crap about a car being more comfortable, we are talking about 13 national track records here.

All this stuff is, is another failed attempt to discredit the proven results of the ACR. Sour grapes on ice.
Again you're proving my point nicely. Street Legal is a loose term, even when coming from a major manufacturer. Kinda like the Dauer 962 Porsche. If you don't care about comfort or scraping or needing to remove your headliner to fit your race seat and helmet on, then you are 100% correct. My point still stands, the VIPER ACR is a GREAT TRACK CAR, but not so much for the street.

Clearly GM didn't want to compromise as much as Dodge did. That's plain and simple. Are you so foolish to think that GM couldn't put a C7R wing on the Vette and a bigger front spoiler to get better track times? They chose not to. They went for MORE balance. Simple. I know that point is hard for you to understand. So, as I've said 100 times now...GREAT JOB DODGE!! WELL DONE!! You needed to be that fast on the track with that much aero...You set 13 records Well done.

If my Vette looked like a C7R and was slower than the ACR, I'd be butthurt...but it doesn't...so there is no reason to be upset. One is more compromising that's all and thus it's slower on the track, but not anywhere else.

Btw, cause you think you know it all...how are those cars and coffee guys doing..."That is #2 pathetic post in this section, that is a trailer queen... Nothing else, you can fool the cars and coffee guys, but not the racers." Those guys are REAL racers...real serious ones at that.

Last edited by ZoratZ06; 11-08-2015 at 11:04 AM.
Old 11-08-2015, 11:11 AM
NineBall
Safety Car

No, street "Legal" is not a loose term. It is "legal", meaning there are LAWS that regulate it. Further, brand new cars have stiffer safety LAWS that are required for a car to be produced and sold to the public. There is no "loose" definition of CARB, EPA, NHTSA laws for currently produced cars.

We both agree on the same thing here. The Z06 (not the Z07) is a great daily driver. I used to daily mine. The Z07 tires would never be good daily driver tires, however. Especially in cold (cracking) or wet weather. But, you keep pressing the issue that an ACR could not be driven on the street - which is incorrect. Two friends are completing their 5,000 mile journey in an ACR Extreme today. Detroit to Las Vegas, and return to Detroit. Zero issues reported so far. They scraped the front splitter once on the way down, but no real damage. The edges have wear sections that are easily replaced.

Curiouts Zorat, but what is YOUR racing experience? I'd like to understand if I'm discussing this stuff with another bench racer, or someone that actually has experience on track.
Old 11-08-2015, 12:57 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

No, street "Legal" is not a loose term. It is "legal", meaning there are LAWS that regulate it. Further, brand new cars have stiffer safety LAWS that are required for a car to be produced and sold to the public. There is no "loose" definition of CARB, EPA, NHTSA laws for currently produced cars.

We both agree on the same thing here. The Z06 (not the Z07) is a great daily driver. I used to daily mine. The Z07 tires would never be good daily driver tires, however. Especially in cold (cracking) or wet weather. But, you keep pressing the issue that an ACR could not be driven on the street - which is incorrect. Two friends are completing their 5,000 mile journey in an ACR Extreme today. Detroit to Las Vegas, and return to Detroit. Zero issues reported so far. They scraped the front splitter once on the way down, but no real damage. The edges have wear sections that are easily replaced.

Curiouts Zorat, but what is YOUR racing experience? I'd like to understand if I'm discussing this stuff with another bench racer, or someone that actually has experience on track.
We had the same crap when the C6 Z06 was released. There were those that had the base C6's and Z51's(or were high school kids with nothing but their opinions) that said the same thing about the Z06. They claimed the Z06 "Rides like a log wagon, nothing but a track car, useless as a daily driver or a road trip car, splitter drags on everything, no targa roof, no convertible, no automatic transmission, wide body is ugly as the base C6 was "streamlined", wide tires are expensive, all that horsepower was useless on the street, blah, blah, blah". Those people couldn't accept the fact that the heavy hitter Z06 upstaged their base C6/Z51.

And then the Z07 option was added to the C6 Z06, making the wonderful street C6 Z06 even more evil on the track.

Well, the C6 Z06 proved them wrong. It was a 100% functional street car, that was also a champ on the track, just like the ACR is now.

Last edited by JoesC5; 11-08-2015 at 01:02 PM.
Old 11-08-2015, 01:13 PM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by sublime1996525
Your arguments are invalid, because race car
Old 11-08-2015, 01:58 PM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by ZoratZ06
THANK YOU for proving my point...you took a STREET LEGAL ACR and just compared it a TRACK ONLY Vette...Thank you thank you thank you. Why do you suppose the C7R has those wings??? FOR THE TRACK!! Gee, now I wonder why the ACR has them...maybe or the track??

You're a real gem...thanks for making my point so clearly. You literally took the RACE version of the vette and put it next to the 'street' version of the Viper. Weird how they almost look the same. Do you think the C7R will take the ACR around a track? Yup. Hey it has a roll cage, no headliner, a 6ft rear wing and oh yeah, a diffuser that probably scrapes the ground Oh I'm sorry I just compared a RACE car to the 'street' Viper ACR...my bad.

For a second there I confused the ACR with a race car based on it's looks...my bad.
Yes I am glad we are in agreement and you have seen the light. ACR looks like a race car and performs like one crushing track records in part because the aero parts are highly functional and derived from all current GT3 type race cars - the exact opposite of your "Fast and Furious" erroneous designation. All while being street legal and sporting every amenity of a Lexus.

The Z06 parts are not found on it's race counterpart and are derived from GMs imagination and budget constarints (Spats) and don't work as well as those on the Viper i.e less downforce on that wicker barn door, front fascia not allowing enough airflow etc. - those are not opinions BTW those are facts.

Glad you have seen the error in your ways. Attempting to debate "Street Legal" and calling the ACR "Fast and Furious" as it obliterates track records, leaving the Z06 and all others in the dust, is some of the dumbest things I have ever read here.
Old 11-08-2015, 04:24 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Nothing photo shopped there period. http://www.cruisenewsonline.com/57Ch...leFeature.html

There is a whole group of guys who literally DRIVE their pro mods on the highway from one race to the next. So if your'e gonna try to make a point, make sure to be accurate with your info. IT'S STREET LEGAL.

Point is...'street legal' is a loose term. Like when cars have rear diffusers that scrape the ground, which really makes them a serious pain in the a** when actually driving on the street.

Last comment...the Viper boys some how think I'm actually upset over the ACR. Why? I coulda bought one, lol! I think it's a baddass TRACK car, but not something I'd want for a trip to CA or a daily run to starbucks. I'm proud an American car owns those records...especially at a serious discount compared to many other exotics, but what you won't admit is that the ACR is a SERIOUS compromise on 'everyday' streets. Period. For overall balance you get a TA or GTS, not the ACR with extreme aero.
Keep reaching for straws, you aren't even close to catching one, comparing that car to a car you can drive and park anywhere of you choose(I wouldn't ) to a gutted 1/4 car, is pathetic the ACR has every option the base viper has , nav, cruise control and all the ton of gadgets the gen 5 comes with.
It will ride fine with the adjustable suspension, just talk to the people who are actually driving them.

P.S stop posting, you are making yourself look real dumb
Old 11-08-2015, 06:02 PM
Sub Driver
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,467 Posts

[QUOTE=ZoratZ06;1590861805]Again you're proving my point nicely. Street Legal is a loose term, even when coming from a major manufacturer. Kinda like the Dauer 962 Porsche. If you don't care about comfort or scraping or needing to remove your headliner to fit your race seat and helmet on, then you are 100% correct. My point still stands, the VIPER ACR is a GREAT TRACK CAR, but not so much for the street.

Clearly GM didn't want to compromise as much as Dodge did. That's plain and simple. Are you so foolish to think that GM couldn't put a C7R wing on the Vette and a bigger front spoiler to get better track times? They chose not to. They went for MORE balance. Simple. I know that point is hard for you to understand. So, as I've said 100 times now...GREAT JOB DODGE!! WELL DONE!! You needed to be that fast on the track with that much aero...You set 13 records Well done.
QUOTE]
What makes the ACR so compromised on the street? It has every amenity the base viper has with the addition of adjustable suspension, different wheels, and more aero bits. The ride height is adjustable and the rear diffuser and front splitter are removable. I do not see how it is any more compromising on the street vs the z07.
Old 11-08-2015, 09:36 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Absolutely, me too. I always start off civil, but certain members escalate things, and I'm not much of a turn the other cheek type of guy. Been on here 13 years and have never seen people get so worked up as much as they have since the C7 release.

Its just a fact that a lot of Die Hard Corvette owners, like myself, do not love the new generation. It created a divide but there is no reason it ever has to get personal.

Have a good one!

I've been on here longer than almost everybody(I was 21) , I share you exact opinion, I just don't like where GM went with the C7, looks like GM cheapened the car, and for the 1st time, I think the base looks better, and I've had all previous Z's.
The c7 fanboys don't even like other model vettes, the C7 vette isn't going to age well, and the Z has tacked on plastic that looks like it can be bought at Home Depot, rear end is hideous , interior although more comfortable looks like updated C4 to me.

The owners make me not like the car more.
Old 11-08-2015, 09:41 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

[QUOTE=Sub Driver;1590864098]
Again you're proving my point nicely. Street Legal is a loose term, even when coming from a major manufacturer. Kinda like the Dauer 962 Porsche. If you don't care about comfort or scraping or needing to remove your headliner to fit your race seat and helmet on, then you are 100% correct. My point still stands, the VIPER ACR is a GREAT TRACK CAR, but not so much for the street.

QUOTE]
What makes the ACR so compromised on the street? It has every amenity the base viper has with the addition of adjustable suspension, different wheels, and more aero bits. The ride height is adjustable and the rear diffuser and front splitter are removable. I do not see how it is any more compromising on the street vs the z07.
You talk about balance when fact is that every viper with the exception of the base outperforms the best GM has to offer, just look at the list , the ZR1 and even 08 ACR beats the "most track ready vette ever made"

Stop posting noob, do you even own either?
Old 11-08-2015, 10:19 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

[QUOTE=NytmereZ;1590865541]
Originally Posted by Sub Driver

You talk about balance when fact is that every viper with the exception of the base outperforms the best GM has to offer, just look at the list , the ZR1 and even 08 ACR beats the "most track ready vette ever made"

Stop posting noob, do you even own either?
That is false........ I think you know that. The Z06 beat the TA by like 6 seconds at VIR. It's probably even faster than the TA 2.0 as well. Time will tell.

Ultimately some of you guys are so determined to win the argument that you are ignoring the fact that both sides are right in their own regard.

The ACR is street legal, but it's hardly street friendly. No amount of cupholders is going to make it nearly as practical to drive on the street as the Z06, or the base Viper for that matter.

That being said, there are plenty of hardcore enough dudes who will drive it around on the street, in fact most ACR's will be only or majority street driven. So trying to make an argument that it's not street legal is laughable. Guys have driven generations of the GT3 RS around for decades now, plenty of GT-R's with big wings driving on the street.

Oh, and then there is R-I-C-E.......
Old 11-09-2015, 12:07 AM
Viper_Vette
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Motortrend breaking down the ACR Laguna Seca lap record.

quote from Randy Pobst

The ACR is a home run. So fast, so stuck, so easy to drive near limit—which is much higher than your brain will accept."
http://wot.motortrend.com/wrecking_t...guna_seca.html
Old 11-09-2015, 01:39 AM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

[QUOTE=heavychevy;1590865761]
Originally Posted by NytmereZ

That is false........ I think you know that. The Z06 beat the TA by like 6 seconds at VIR. It's probably even faster than the TA 2.0 as well. Time will tell.

Ultimately some of you guys are so determined to win the argument that you are ignoring the fact that both sides are right in their own regard.

The ACR is street legal, but it's hardly street friendly. No amount of cupholders is going to make it nearly as practical to drive on the street as the Z06, or the base Viper for that matter.

That being said, there are plenty of hardcore enough dudes who will drive it around on the street, in fact most ACR's will be only or majority street driven. So trying to make an argument that it's not street legal is laughable. Guys have driven generations of the GT3 RS around for decades now, plenty of GT-R's with big wings driving on the street.

Oh, and then there is R-I-C-E.......
Still holding on to that one lighting lap nobody cares about I have put out a challenge to anyone with a C7Z06 in my area more than once, I'm done whipping on my sibling, do you even own either, I've spent plenty of time in a C7 Z
These are real times that a track rat will look at, everybody knows the new Z won't last for a full session.
I'm not wrong, you are just one of the many delusional

If a Z is released with real aero, all will be rejoiced, anybody who likes that cheap tacked on plastic are just in denial, I guess the real C7z race car is just rice..... That still got whopped by the real Viper race car

Stop talking out of you butt. Game is over as usual Viper dominates, as usual we have a million fanboys crying.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...00-02-57_1.jpg

Last edited by NytmereZ; 11-09-2015 at 01:55 AM.
Old 11-09-2015, 02:00 AM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Ah yes the integrated beauty of the Spats, Winglets, and Nascar barn sized clear wicker bill, are so subtle you can barely spot them.

Do these cars even have them? They are designed so nicely and flow so well with the I am not sure if I can even spot them.

No nothing Fast and Furious looking at all about all that plastic tacked on everywhere on the Z06. Spats are all time design highlights and have nothing to do with cheaping out on a properly widened front fascia - that incidentally also would have helped with additional airflow- you know for that persistent overheating issue.

Viper ACR just owned the track debate - some people on this thread are just so desperate to attempt to knock it down. Team Viper delivered results while Team Corvette delivered Hype.

I haven't read this whole thread yet- but have sales numbers come up yet or MPG? How about which car is easier to wax? I bet that big wing on the Viper is murder and will soak up a ton of Zaino. Total fail.

So much plastic on that car who needs wax?
Old 11-09-2015, 02:03 AM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Viper_Vette
Randy Pobst did a 1:34xx at Laguna Seca in the base Viper and the GTS model. That's still 4 seconds faster than what he did in the C7Z06. The Z06 has a long ways to go in my opinion. It needs more improvements/overhaul.
Tell that to the guy who just told me that the C7Z was 6 seconds faster than the TA

Get notified of new replies

To Laguna Seca record

Old 11-09-2015, 02:24 AM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

No the race car viper whipped the race car vette as well ...... Keep reaching.......
Attached Images  
Old 11-09-2015, 09:24 AM
NineBall
Safety Car

Originally Posted by heavychevy

That is false........ I think you know that. The Z06 beat the TA by like 6 seconds at VIR. It's probably even faster than the TA 2.0 as well. Time will tell..
I thought you were a racer? Did you even watch the Lightning Lap video of that TA being driven at VIR? The guy looked like a newbie, couldn't hit an apex or braking zone to save his life. The same driver couldn't even handle the BMW 135i on the same article, nearly lost it on two turns. His driving was so bad on the BMW video, that the comments were horrible - and C&D deleted the video! LOL

Sad day when a racer has to grasp on a lame VIR lap time, set by pathetic driving magazine journalists, as their white knight story. Even more comical that someone would still latch on to any VIR time, given that the Viper now dominates records on two course layouts at that track. The previous record at VIR was held by the C7Z, with engineer Mero driving. The ACR beat it by 1.3 seconds, approximately 13 car lengths in a single lap. Also driven by a test engineer. Those are the facts now.

It would be equally silly to talk about how the TA and base model SRT Viper are both faster than the C7Z at Laguna Seca, as of now. Neither of these stories are valid, based on technical issues, or driving inability.

You are correct, time will tell. When we finally see the VIR in-car video of the C7Z "Lightning Lap" pass, then we will know if it was equally (poorly) driven to a 5-second advantage over the TA. Just like we'll eventually see Randy Pobst put down a good lap at Laguna, with a fully functioning C7Z.

How about that Road Atlanta record for the ACR? It crushed the previous C7Z record by 3.3 seconds. That was with an engineer driving the ACR, not a pro driver like the Corvette had (Milner). Approximately 33 car lengths ahead, after a single lap. Isn't that your home track? Thoughts on that?

Last edited by NineBall; 11-09-2015 at 09:33 AM.
Old 11-09-2015, 10:45 AM
kverges
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 18 Posts

Z07 has carbon ceramics, adjustable aero, and Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires, specifically designed for the car. Sounds exactly similar to the ACR. GM won't build a faster Z06, they sell plenty as-is. They will build the ZR1/Zora instead, and relegate the Z06 as their grand touring car - which it does very well. Here is a hint, the Zora has a larger supercharger.

Hirohawa, I agree with your last post. I've been here a long time, and have seen many fan boys come and go. Even when I own a Corvette, I keep them in check. Nothing more annoying than magazine/bench racers who try and act like experts, yet do not race. Those who focus on subjective and opinion statements, instead of cold hard facts. It is very easy for those of us that race, and wrench, to see the fanboys.
I did no know you road raced. What cars and classes? While I did Viper Cup in 2010, I don't have the budget to race big cars and stick with spec club racing cars, with much more casual DE type tracking for the big stuff.

Quick Reply: Laguna Seca record