Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Ford Excursion 5.4L V8 gas opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 10:31 AM
monstrocity
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Ford Excursion 5.4L V8 gas opinions?

Hello!

I have been hunting for a nice Excursion. Itching for my first truck/SUV and as a long-time lover of big full-size American cars... what can I say I'm just drawn to the largest vehicles.

Anyway I realize the diesels are the most desirable but all the ones I come across locally are super-high mileage and well worn. Or ridiculously expensive. Or both!

Came a cross a nice clean 2005 5.4L V8 4x4 model. Anyone have thoughts on these? Of course it is the lowest powered engine available but I would not use it for towing or even off-roading. Mainly a hobby vehicle for long trips, carrying passengers, occasional trips to pick up large items, and tackling the worst winter weather!
Old 11-05-2015, 11:42 AM
IMXCITD
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 307 Likes on 290 Posts

have a friend that bought a 5.4 new and still has it....he loves it. He does light towing, daily driving and takes trips in it and he really enjoys it!
Old 11-06-2015, 12:27 AM
Closer_2001
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by monstrocity
Hello!

\ I would not use it for towing or even off-roading. Mainly a hobby vehicle for long trips, carrying passengers, occasional trips to pick up large items, and tackling the worst winter weather!
Ok, but with a full load of people and gear, don't expect anything on performance. That gen 5.4 is a slug.
Old 11-06-2015, 05:59 AM
IMXCITD
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I wasn't gonna say it in my earlier post.....but I feel like you should get a diesel or the V10 if you are going to get one. I have had 2 in the V10 and it was good except for the mpgs. If I were buying again...I would get the 7.3 or the 6.0 (after it was bulletproofed)......it will perform so much better.....better power and mpgs plus a diesel sounds very cool.
Old 11-10-2015, 04:33 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,002 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Ford Excursion 5.4L V8 gas opinions?

Personally? I wouldn't own any Excursion but the mighty 7.3 Liter PSD.
Old 11-10-2015, 04:36 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Originally Posted by IMXCITD
I wasn't gonna say it in my earlier post.....but I feel like you should get a diesel or the V10 if you are going to get one. I have had 2 in the V10 and it was good except for the mpgs. If I were buying again...I would get the 7.3 or the 6.0 (after it was bulletproofed)......it will perform so much better.....better power and mpgs plus a diesel sounds very cool.
You can't exactly "bulletproof" the 6.0. Too much cr@p involved in modding one. Better bet holding out for the 7.3. I got one of 'em.
Old 11-10-2015, 04:41 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Hello!

I have been hunting for a nice Excursion. Itching for my first truck/SUV and as a long-time lover of big full-size American cars... what can I say I'm just drawn to the largest vehicles.

Anyway I realize the diesels are the most desirable but all the ones I come across locally are super-high mileage and well worn. Or ridiculously expensive. Or both!

Came a cross a nice clean 2005 5.4L V8 4x4 model. Anyone have thoughts on these? Of course it is the lowest powered engine available but I would not use it for towing or even off-roading. Mainly a hobby vehicle for long trips, carrying passengers, occasional trips to pick up large items, and tackling the worst winter weather!
Best find one in the Southern or Western United States, that hasn't been exposed to road salt/chemicals of Wintertime. Their age early '00s - used now of the 7.3 Liter PSD, should be able to be imported to Canada, no?
Old 11-11-2015, 08:26 PM
IMXCITD
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
You can't exactly "bulletproof" the 6.0. Too much cr@p involved in modding one. Better bet holding out for the 7.3. I got one of 'em.

ummm actually you can....egr delete and head studs and it is making it almost bullet proof.....8/900k mile engine w regular maint.
Old 11-11-2015, 10:25 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Originally Posted by IMXCITD
ummm actually you can....egr delete and head studs and it is making it almost bullet proof.....8/900k mile engine w regular maint.
Uh, no, add $5K for all the mods....and they still aren't bulletproof. It's not worth it. The 7.3 IS bulletproof, with NO $$$ modding!

Get notified of new replies

To Ford Excursion 5.4L V8 gas opinions?

Quick Reply: Ford Excursion 5.4L V8 gas opinions?