Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Are Miata's still considered "Girl cars"?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 11:34 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverspeed
When do you plan on buying a Corvette? You've been talking about doing so for years. If I was you, I would move out of that sh*tbox you call a house that you've posted pics of. You could probably buy one twice as nice as that dump for what a C7 costs.
It's nice to see him get a taste of his own medicine.
Old 11-24-2015, 02:24 PM
Dominic Toretto
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When do you plan on buying a Corvette? You've been talking about doing so for years. If I was you, I would move out of that sh*tbox you call a house that you've posted pics of. You could probably buy one twice as nice as that dump for what a C7 costs.
LOL wow.

-Alex
Old 11-25-2015, 08:47 AM
Elba Mike
Safety Car

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

I guess I'm a decent judge of character. My first impression of Skidmark was "Pretentious Much? And no, I don't want to match imaginary paychecks, I readily admit I'm poor.
Old 11-25-2015, 10:05 AM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

The first generations "cute" looks gave it that girls car stigma, but according to the people who own and drive them, its one of the best drivers cars ever.
The later generations have given the car a more grown up look. I bought a 2013 MX5 after owning a couple C6 Corvettes and have enjoyed the change of pace. The MX5 is a fun car to drive at all street speeds, the Corvettes pegged the fun meter at high speeds.
Best way to describe it would be to compare it to a rollar coaster.......you may be going only 60mph but it feels faster and more entertaining. Around town the Corvettes felt bored (take me to the track please or at least floor it to 100+, f this 45mph speeds....), the MX5 excels in making the mundane drives interesting but is not as enjoyable over 80+.
I drive mostly back roads for fun so it suits that perfectly.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:32 AM
Elba Mike
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '16

Originally Posted by Silver05GTO
The first generations "cute" looks gave it that girls car stigma, but according to the people who own and drive them, its one of the best drivers cars ever.
The later generations have given the car a more grown up look. I bought a 2013 MX5 after owning a couple C6 Corvettes and have enjoyed the change of pace. The MX5 is a fun car to drive at all street speeds, the Corvettes pegged the fun meter at high speeds.
Best way to describe it would be to compare it to a rollar coaster.......you may be going only 60mph but it feels faster and more entertaining. Around town the Corvettes felt bored (take me to the track please or at least floor it to 100+, f this 45mph speeds....), the MX5 excels in making the mundane drives interesting but is not as enjoyable over 80+.
I drive mostly back roads for fun so it suits that perfectly.

My MG was like that too. It wasn't really fast, but it was a blast to drive. You actually understood my intent when I posted this. some cars seem to become a stereo type of sorts.The BMW Z/M3 never seem to get that reputation. I looked at those while stationed in Germany, they were just too tight a fit for me.
Old 11-25-2015, 01:26 PM
kverges
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 18 Posts

Bottom line is car people respect the Miata. If your car needs to be a symbol or jewelry or make up for inadequacy then the Miata is probably not up to the task.
Old 11-25-2015, 02:23 PM
Dominic Toretto
Race Director

Originally Posted by kverges
Bottom line is car people respect the Miata.
That's the same pansy excuse Honda kids use. "If you're a car guy you like Civics." LOL wow. So you're telling me that people that are enthusiastic about Corvettes, Vipers, Mustangs, Porsches etc but not Miatas are NOT car people? GTFOH.

-Alex
Old 11-25-2015, 02:44 PM
kverges
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dominic Toretto
That's the same pansy excuse Honda kids use. "If you're a car guy you like Civics." LOL wow. So you're telling me that people that are enthusiastic about Corvettes, Vipers, Mustangs, Porsches etc but not Miatas are NOT car people? GTFOH.

-Alex
Yup. I like every car you mentioned and have owned at least one of each (even a POS Civic back in the 80s while in school). You probably only pose in your preferred car, but if we find ourselves on track at the same time, GTFO of my way. It's a mighty closed mind that can't respect another person's enthusiasm for their particular car and even more fragile ego to denigrate that other car.
Old 11-25-2015, 06:07 PM
Dominic Toretto
Race Director

Yup. I like every car you mentioned and have owned at least one of each (even a POS Civic back in the 80s while in school). You probably only pose in your preferred car, but if we find ourselves on track at the same time, GTFO of my way. It's a mighty closed mind that can't respect another person's enthusiasm for their particular car and even more fragile ego to denigrate that other car.
Enthusiasm doesn't mean you have to like other people's preference. So um, you're wrong.

-Alex
Old 11-25-2015, 06:28 PM
kverges
Burning Brakes

Enthusiasm doesn't mean you have to like other people's preference. So um, you're wrong.

-Alex
Do you understand "respect"? Re read my post. We all have preferences and ought to have respect for others'.
Old 11-25-2015, 06:37 PM
Dominic Toretto
Race Director

Do you understand "respect"? Re read my post. We all have preferences and ought to have respect for others'.
I don't respect the usage of shaming tactics. Saying "You're not an enthusiast because you don't like my car" is very feminine. A grown man shouldn't care if anyone doesn't like his car. Who cares? Buy your car for you, not to impress others anyway and you'd never have a reason to give a **** what other's opinions are of your car.

-Alex
Old 11-25-2015, 09:42 PM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

I don't respect the usage of shaming tactics. Saying "You're not an enthusiast because you don't like my car" is very feminine. A grown man shouldn't care if anyone doesn't like his car. Who cares? Buy your car for you, not to impress others anyway and you'd never have a reason to give a **** what other's opinions are of your car.

-Alex
^^^needs to be a bulletin in the C7Z section!!

oh and agree 100000 percent!!!
Old 11-25-2015, 09:47 PM
kverges
Burning Brakes

-Alex
I give up. You can't read.
Old 11-26-2015, 07:39 AM
Elba Mike
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '16

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
^^^needs to be a bulletin in the C7Z section!!

oh and agree 100000 percent!!!
You got that right. From the reading I've done here, everyone can make fun of my '81, except C4 owners. I only laugh at funny people. And I used to own a Citroen C2V. So I don't laugh at other folks car choices.
Attached Images  
Old 12-02-2015, 12:27 AM
Meh
Team Owner

Received 51 Likes on 28 Posts

Extra funny because he's such a douche.
Old 12-11-2015, 10:28 PM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by 1985 Corvette
Those "chick cars" with an LS swap can be in the next county by the time a "man's car" is up to speed. The holy Shelby Cobra we all know and love started off as a secretary's car, too.

I don't remember it that way at all. The AC Ace (Bristol six cylinder-powered basis for Shelby's first Ford V8 transplant) only came with a stick and no roll-up windows, most "secretaries" wouldn't want to muss their hair.

Now the Mustang WAS a perfectly acceptable female's sporty car, and Shelby turned THAT car into a "man's car".
Old 12-14-2015, 02:46 PM
MikeLsx
Drifting

Received 200 Likes on 151 Posts

i dont care what engine swap you put into a miata or how great of drivers cars they are.

Could never see myself owning one. They are just to small, and cute. comes with a little 4 cylinder engine also.

Get notified of new replies

To Are Miata's still considered "Girl cars"?

Old 12-14-2015, 03:10 PM
Meh
Team Owner

Received 51 Likes on 28 Posts

Link to pics? This I'd love to see.
Old 12-14-2015, 03:42 PM
solid dobe
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21

Originally Posted by MikeLsx
i dont care what engine swap you put into a miata or how great of drivers cars they are.

Could never see myself owning one. They are just to small, and cute. comes with a little 4 cylinder engine also.
I am not a fan but there is apparently an alternative "skin" but it looks like the 4-cyl is still there.

http://www.slashgear.com/fiat-and-ma...2015-18265839/
Fiat and Mazda have officially inked the deal which will refettle the MX-5 (aka the Miata) as Alfa Romeo's next open-top sports car, expected to hit showrooms in 2015. The agreement [pdf link] was first mooted back in May 2012, and will see the as-yet-unnamed Alfa Romeo droptop eventually go on sale globally; meanwhile, Mazda will also offer its own version of the car, the next-gen MX-5.

Although the two cars "will be based on the architecture" of Mazda's new Miata model, there will be some key differences in what ends up on sale. Beyond the differentiated styling - unconfirmed, though we're hoping Alfa Romeo doesn't stray too far from the delectable 2010 2uettottanta concept by Pininfarina, shown here, although we wouldn't argue with a convertible version of last year's Disco Volante concept either - each marque will slot in their choice of engine

Both versions will be produced at Mazda's Hiroshima plant in Japan, and feature rear-wheel drive and two seats. For the Japanese firm, it's a chance to squeeze as much value as possible out of its new design and manufacturing investment, vital if the compact droptop is to be financially viable.

For Fiat, meanwhile, Alfa Romeo has been struggling for some time, and the deal means producing "a modern interpretation of the classic Alfa Romeo roadster" needn't be quite so impractical. Initial plans to reintroduce the brand to the US market later this year have been delayed, however, with the Alfa Romeo 4C now not expected to debut in North America until sometime in 2014
Old 12-14-2015, 11:56 PM
kverges
Burning Brakes

You don't have to like them, but they do deserve respect especially on the track. While most look like a smurf should be driving, the view from the smurf seat is not bad and the handling, pace and reliability excellent. Add a turbo and a Miata will run with many bigger cars including Corvette.

Quick Reply: Are Miata's still considered "Girl cars"?