Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Jay Leno on Driverless Cars

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 11:46 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,624 Likes on 6,628 Posts

Default Jay Leno on Driverless Cars

Excellent article on driverless cars written by Jay Leno in the November 9 Autoweek Mag. Quoting some key points: "Autonomous [driverless] cars are really nothing new: Every day on the freeway, at least 30% of the cars are virtually driverless, because their occupants are texting, putting on makeup or talking on their phones. It's scary out there!"
Audi had Jay challenge their aggressively programmed autonomous race car at Sonoma race track. The car consistently achieved laps of 2:08 minutes, but Jay was able to achieve 2:02! He said, "I felt proud for the human race!"
He ended with this comment: "For those of us who really enjoy driving, [driverless cars] will be really great- it gets idiots and people who aren't paying attention out from behind the wheel!"
Old 11-12-2015, 11:59 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,289 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Funny. Too true. Wrong forum.
Old 11-13-2015, 12:53 AM
gkeeper
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Wrong forum or not, I enjoyed it, especially the last sentence. That's exactly the same reason I want driverless car to reach mass market asap. I stopped riding motorcycle last year because of all the idiots on the road. Hopefully one day everyone who doesn't enjoy driving will get a self-driving car, then I can go back on 2 wheels. In the mean time, the Vett will do.
Old 11-13-2015, 01:53 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by gkeeper
Wrong forum or not, I enjoyed it, especially the last sentence. That's exactly the same reason I want driverless car to reach mass market asap. I stopped riding motorcycle last year because of all the idiots on the road. Hopefully one day everyone who doesn't enjoy driving will get a self-driving car, then I can go back on 2 wheels. In the mean time, the Vett will do.
I feel the same way! I mostly travel the 16 miles into town on the rural roads with my C7 where there are few cars rather than risk I95, which is quicker. I encounter few cars and don't have to worry who doesn't like that I am traveling 75 mph on the interstate (to avoid my radar detector blasting) and ride my tail while responding to cell phone messages! Although longer, have a neat route with a number of sections where only cows and corn care how fast I'm going!

Last edited by JerryU; 11-13-2015 at 01:58 AM.
Old 11-13-2015, 07:08 AM
Curahee
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve_R
Funny. Too true. Wrong forum.
Wrong forum? Please, give us a break!!

Old 11-13-2015, 07:10 AM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

I would not want my Corvette C7 on the same road with driverless cars!

(Right forum. )
Old 11-13-2015, 07:38 AM
stig.i.am
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree....dont get me started with folks and their dang cell phones!!
Old 11-13-2015, 09:07 AM
DCortez
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
"For those of us who really enjoy driving, [driverless cars] will be really great- it gets idiots and people who aren't paying attention out from behind the wheel!"

Gold!
Old 11-13-2015, 09:45 AM
Carvin
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Originally Posted by JerryU
I feel the same way! I mostly travel the 16 miles into town on the rural roads with my C7 where there are few cars rather than risk I95, which is quicker. I encounter few cars and don't have to worry who doesn't like that I am traveling 75 mph on the interstate (to avoid my radar detector blasting) and ride my tail while responding to cell phone messages! Although longer, have a neat route with a number of sections where only cows and corn care how fast I'm going!
Returning from Road America in summer I took the long way home using farms roads & found this was so much more enjoyable than using the freeways that I use back roads as much as possible now.

I bet driverless cars actually use turn signals
Old 11-13-2015, 01:01 PM
W88fixer
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

You know, I wonder if it is like magazines like Popular Science predicting flying cars since the 50s, hasn't happened?

Would you trust the usual state, county or city bureaucrats to update the program for construction work etc, might drive you right into a crevasse.

Even with autonomous cars, you'd still have to pay some attention I'd think to react if the system went off line. Still the issue with IDIOTS who think blathering, texting, tweeting etc is the primary reason for driving from point A to B. Don
Old 11-14-2015, 12:25 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by W88fixer
You know, I wonder if it is like magazines like Popular Science predicting flying cars since the 50s, hasn't happened?

Would you trust the usual state, county or city bureaucrats to update the program for construction work etc, might drive you right into a crevasse.

Even with autonomous cars, you'd still have to pay some attention I'd think to react if the system went off line. Still the issue with IDIOTS who think blathering, texting, tweeting etc is the primary reason for driving from point A to B. Don
I remember those, "Everyone will be flying" magazine articles in the '50's!!
Was complaining to daughter about driving with many driving near me being distracted with their phone. I said "Bet 90% of those communications are meaningless." She said "No dad it's 99%!"
The grand kids remind me of Pavlov and his dogs! It's a conditioned response, they can't help themselves!

Like Pavlov's Dogs, it's a Conditioned Response for Some Folks!

Last edited by JerryU; 11-14-2015 at 12:27 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Jay Leno on Driverless Cars