Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Will electric cars bring the end of aftermarket performance upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 03:55 PM
theboom
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Will electric cars bring the end of aftermarket performance upgrades?

All the electric car concepts I see are electric motors mounted directly to the wheels or axles and the power doesn't go through the a traditional transmission or differential. Because of this there must be very complicated computer programming on the torque vectoring that is even more complicated on awd vehicles. Due to this will you still be able to upgrade a car with aftermarket parts? I don't think someone will be able to just buy a new program much less do it themselves when they add more powerful motors. Speaking of adding more powerful motors, can you do that? I don't know a whole lot about electric motors but is the power directly related to the size? If so the space provided by the original manufacture is more than likely going to be just enough for the stock motor.

Or do I have this all wrong? Will you be able to upgrade the power and manage the torque vectoring?
Old 11-21-2015, 06:25 PM
B Stead
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

The batteries of an electric vehicle are heavy and so the best electric vehicle is one with a carbon fiber tub to reduce weight.

The BMW i3 has a carbon fiber tub and the BMW i8 hybrid has a carbon fiber tub. The Tesla Roadster had a Lotus chassis of aluminum extrusions and then a fiberglass (SMC) bodywork.

The new fuel-cell electric vehicles don't have as much weight problem as battery-powered electric vehicles.

Here's a photo of an electric motor on the axle:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_i3...rive_unit2.JPG

Last edited by B Stead; 11-21-2015 at 06:36 PM.
Old 11-21-2015, 10:06 PM
Bucknut2006
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Just like other electronic devices, there will be people upgrading them over time. Plus things like suspension and brakes are not going away. It has also taken many years for electric cars to account for 100k+ sales or about 1% of total car sales in the US.

Get notified of new replies

To Will electric cars bring the end of aftermarket performance upgrades?

Quick Reply: Will electric cars bring the end of aftermarket performance upgrades?