Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Dream List of Sports Cars to OWN.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 01:58 PM
ruff13
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dream List of Sports Cars to OWN.

I just picked up 2005 black convertible with 28K on the odometer. I love the torque, comfort and aesthetics make me very happy.
I also have a 2015 Subaru WRX. It is absolutely a blast to drive and handles better than anything I have ever driven.

Now the meat of the post...
I have checked a few cars off my personal list as of late. Corvette, WRX, three generations of Miata's, 5.0 mustang, 560SL Benz to name the ones that I have spent more than half a year with.
One of my personal goals is to try to experience as many sports cars as I can before I punch out. Still left on my personal list is the 911 turbo, AC Cobra replica with a 427, Viper and maybe a GT-R.
What am I missing is my question to you gents.
What cars have you personally driven aggressively that you would own or recommend to a fellow enthusiast?
Keep in mind that an exotic would be nice, but my finances and sensibilities will not let me go there yet.
I also started this thread in the C6 forum because of mine.
Thank you for the entertainment and input,
Ruff
Old 01-23-2016, 03:06 PM
FourFather
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 16 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22

The Ariel Atom has been thrilling me for the last ten years- and I came from many years in top fuel cars and boats.

This video of the first lap of the open-wheel final race at Hallett recently, gives you a hint why I like the Ariels so much- Look what my streetable two-seater with DOT tires does to these single-seat race cars with race tires.

Eddie FourFather Hill
Old 01-24-2016, 12:23 PM
ruff13
Intermediate

Originally Posted by FourFather
The Ariel Atom has been thrilling me for the last ten years- and I came from many years in top fuel cars and boats.

This video of the first lap of the open-wheel final race at Hallett recently, gives you a hint why I like the Ariels so much- Look what my streetable two-seater with DOT tires does to these single-seat race cars with race tires.

Eddie FourFather Hill
The Atom appears to be one of the best options out there for pure turn key handling and power to weight goodness. I should definitely add one to my list Eddie.
Old 01-24-2016, 01:09 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Some "must drives" in my opinion, are the early era supercars. The pre-utterly electronic, but post carbon construction/fuel injection, era. Think Diablo, Ferrari Testarossa, etc. These cars are magical in some ways...they are analog, very raw and unrefined...they feel very handbuilt and, while not exceptional in any particular way, by todays standards, are AWESOME to experience. Manually shifted supercars...the true hybrids of old and new.

In the affordable category:

-A 3.2 liter NSX is a fantastic drivers car, though an early modded NA1 NSX can be a hell of a machine
-I throw love for an S2000 anytime I can...amazing driver car
-E46 M3...great all around machine with great steering
-Superlite SLC...monster
-I purely believe the C5 Z06 is one of the best driver cars ever made in terms of balance of use, capability, cost, etc.
-993 C4S or turbo car...end of the air cooled cars, very mechanical sounding...very cool to drive hard

On the top end, the LFA was one of the best cars I've ever driven. Truly an underloved machine due to it's transmission, but overall the execution, ride, ability, sound and FEEL of that car was spectacular on a racetrack....wow.

I too check of the "list" myself. I've had Ferrari's and a Lambo...dream cars for me, but frankly if they did anything they made me realize that a properly modded, more affordable platform brings me just as much joy as a street car. As a high performance car, there are component cars/kits that are incredible for the money and will destroy exotics.
Old 01-24-2016, 05:08 PM
ruff13
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RC000E
Some "must drives" in my opinion, are the early era supercars. The pre-utterly electronic, but post carbon construction/fuel injection, era. Think Diablo, Ferrari Testarossa, etc. These cars are magical in some ways...they are analog, very raw and unrefined...they feel very handbuilt and, while not exceptional in any particular way, by todays standards, are AWESOME to experience. Manually shifted supercars...the true hybrids of old and new.

In the affordable category:

-A 3.2 liter NSX is a fantastic drivers car, though an early modded NA1 NSX can be a hell of a machine
-I throw love for an S2000 anytime I can...amazing driver car
-E46 M3...great all around machine with great steering
-Superlite SLC...monster
-I purely believe the C5 Z06 is one of the best driver cars ever made in terms of balance of use, capability, cost, etc.
-993 C4S or turbo car...end of the air cooled cars, very mechanical sounding...very cool to drive hard

On the top end, the LFA was one of the best cars I've ever driven. Truly an underloved machine due to it's transmission, but overall the execution, ride, ability, sound and FEEL of that car was spectacular on a racetrack....wow.

I too check of the "list" myself. I've had Ferrari's and a Lambo...dream cars for me, but frankly if they did anything they made me realize that a properly modded, more affordable platform brings me just as much joy as a street car. As a high performance car, there are component cars/kits that are incredible for the money and will destroy exotics.
I forgot to put the S2000 on my list. I had one and it screamed like a banshee. The VTEC was great on the street, not so much on the track.
I recently rode in a Ferrari Modena. It was too dialed in and electronic feeling for me. It was wicked fast, but it was missing the raw you mentioned in your post. I like the raw sensation, even if it is going slower. I like the perception and sensory rush, not necessarily the fastest car.
Old 01-24-2016, 07:44 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Well, considering the F20C engine in the S2000 is essentially designed for track use, you lost me a wee on the "great on the street but not so much on track" part. Granted you remain in vtec on track, but were it not for VTEC you'd be stuck with a milder cam for street use. Lost me there.

On the Modena side, 360's were certainly transition into the more modern era. A 355 with a gated shifter is a decent car, but numb *** handling...that was a predecessor to 360 so...while I'm sure the 360 has a bit better steering, it also was moving toward electronic era. I pointed out Testarossa. That car is heavy steering, notchy gated shifter, but a howling flat 12. Not particularly fast but considering that car existed in the 80's is amazing.

It's hard to say what's a "must own" because your perceptions sound different. I'm drawn to drivers cars, generally cars that have a rev range. I tend to like a "slow car fast" mentality. I think this is why I liked the S2000 so much. You could wind that car out, really drive it hard and not far exceed law. The 993 C4S I had...another great one...quick, but not blistering quick for the street, and MEGA driver oriented and mechanical..GREAT car. NSX...same...GREAT car from a steering and handling perspective. Early NA1 transmissions are a bit odd in terms of gearing, but if you can source a 6spd, that's a great machine. I personally think the e36 M3's are great buys right now. Another balanced, proven and affordable car to own right now with tons of aftermarket.

Some of my strange wants/desires I am seeking currently to build/own are:

Late era MKiii (not IV) Supra turbo
Triumph TR6 (BMW M54 or S54 swapped)
Early Impreza with a jdm Legacy turbo swap (early jdm wrx ej20 essentially)
Early C4 Z51 with custom forced induction 4cyl ecotec swap, custom Vmount, sky/solstice transmission (budget track **** hater machine)

All currently in line to get built just because...
Old 01-25-2016, 08:31 AM
ruff13
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RC000E
Well, considering the F20C engine in the S2000 is essentially designed for track use, you lost me a wee on the "great on the street but not so much on track" part. Granted you remain in vtec on track, but were it not for VTEC you'd be stuck with a milder cam for street use. Lost me there.

On the Modena side, 360's were certainly transition into the more modern era. A 355 with a gated shifter is a decent car, but numb *** handling...that was a predecessor to 360 so...while I'm sure the 360 has a bit better steering, it also was moving toward electronic era. I pointed out Testarossa. That car is heavy steering, notchy gated shifter, but a howling flat 12. Not particularly fast but considering that car existed in the 80's is amazing.

It's hard to say what's a "must own" because your perceptions sound different. I'm drawn to drivers cars, generally cars that have a rev range. I tend to like a "slow car fast" mentality. I think this is why I liked the S2000 so much. You could wind that car out, really drive it hard and not far exceed law. The 993 C4S I had...another great one...quick, but not blistering quick for the street, and MEGA driver oriented and mechanical..GREAT car. NSX...same...GREAT car from a steering and handling perspective. Early NA1 transmissions are a bit odd in terms of gearing, but if you can source a 6spd, that's a great machine. I personally think the e36 M3's are great buys right now. Another balanced, proven and affordable car to own right now with tons of aftermarket.

Some of my strange wants/desires I am seeking currently to build/own are:

Late era MKiii (not IV) Supra turbo
Triumph TR6 (BMW M54 or S54 swapped)
Early Impreza with a jdm Legacy turbo swap (early jdm wrx ej20 essentially)
Early C4 Z51 with custom forced induction 4cyl ecotec swap, custom Vmount, sky/solstice transmission (budget track **** hater machine)

All currently in line to get built just because...
The reason I mentioned the VTEC and not liking it on the track was it was more unpredictable to me than the Miata that I became accustomed to. The Miata seemed more linear. The VTEC would surprise me sometimes. It was really just a function of my lack of driving skills.
Old 01-29-2016, 10:47 AM
Never-Enough
Le Mans Master

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

65-67 Chevelle resto mod is what I really want & plan to begin to build in the next few years. Plenty of other cars I want to own, but that tops the list aside from big $ exotics like the P1.
Old 01-30-2016, 09:04 AM
Vernon
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 338 Posts

Enjoying the conversation between enthusiasts...and learning from your great driving experiences to find a nice fair weather driver's car...maybe a Boxster.
Thanks for the tips, and sharing your enjoyment of the journey.
Old 01-30-2016, 07:00 PM
LGK-SD
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Wish I had my black on black '89 Porsche 930 Turbo factory slantnose that I should have never sold...
You really felt like part of the car, and in bone stock form...

They used to be affordable.

Never had the luxury ($$) of keeping more than one "specialty" car at a time and did not had the room. Had to sell one to buy the next.

The best I had:
72 Dino Ferrari
The Porsche mentioned above
mid 90's NSX
2 SCCA race cars (GProd and Sports 2000)
Pantera (not so much...)
69 Chevelle SS 396 (A NOM car that I restored to stock)

All in dead stock form....

Last edited by LGK-SD; 01-30-2016 at 07:02 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Dream List of Sports Cars to OWN.

Quick Reply: Dream List of Sports Cars to OWN.