Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

What to buy under $40k?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 08:54 PM
Never-Enough
Le Mans Master

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by White Out
I had an LS1 996, sold it in 2013. That car was crazy fun. Good to know about the G50. I was using a G96 box.

If I did another LS swap, would be a C4S (widebody & turbo brakes/suspension) and gut the trans to make it 2WD with LSD. I liked the TT so much, that if I get into another 996, it will likely be another TT.

Plenty of modified cars out there. Exhaust and tune make a huge difference in the car. Prices for everything, except OEM clutch, is fairly normal.
What does it take to get them in the 10s or low 11s & what should one expect to pay for such a car with low miles & no issues? I'm not interested in buying an LS swapped one if that's what you're talking about.

Last edited by Never-Enough; 01-31-2016 at 08:55 PM.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:20 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Just sell the mazda and the c6 z06 and order up a 2016 or 2017 camaro ss 1LE...

That's a forty grand ride....and then just put snow tires on for the winter.

I just did that on my c6 z51 and last weeks 27 inch snow storm the day after was no problem.

Since you work at home it's not like you have to travel the say of the storm.

I daily drive my corvette....I found having a little miata parked behind my vette which was in the garage was slowing me down for. Driving my vette.

Sold the mazda and driving the vette every freakin day...life is good...

Last edited by JerriVette; 02-01-2016 at 08:21 AM.
Old 02-02-2016, 11:48 AM
vette1963
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Never-Enough
I'm kicking around the idea of putting my C6Z up for sale in the Spring. Getting harder to justify all this money tied up in something that sits more than it gets driven. I work from home to boot so that leaves me with having to find an excuse to drive it.

Make no mistake, I love the car, but I don't feel I'm getting enough of a return on my money. I could also just not buy anything to replace it & I still have my daily Mazdaspeed6.

I do miss my NA Miata. The thought of getting a slightly used ND has crossed my mind. (If I do end up getting something else, it will be used. Let someone else take the hit on a new car. Also, it has to be something I can get more use out of. Hopefully, all year round. So something like a Viper is a no.)
Must be RWD or AWD & be able to turn & be fairly quick in a straight line too. I understand that nothing is going to be as fast as the Z06 (535 WHP), but I can't see myself getting into something dog slow in a straight line other than another Miata.

Maybe I should go the collectible old school muscle car route to replace it. I do plan to get a 65-67 Chevelle and do a resto mod project. I'd do it now, but budget does not allow for all the resto modding I have planned for that regardless of whether or not I sell the Z06.

What do you suggest?
You could buy my 2014 Stage 3 Roush Mustang. 575 HP and 505 ft lbs of torque make it a hell of fun car to drive. Like new with just 3200 miles and 2 yrs factory warranty. PM me in interested.
Old 02-02-2016, 02:05 PM
TurboTnZ06
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RC000E
IDK man...you lost me on the GN. I agree they are...ok...had plenty of douches I knew modding them and using FPR to tune them, keeping everything internally gated and playing bolt on. To me it's like anything...with enough money and time it'll turn and stop but...why...

I thought I recalled you doing a porsche build on another forum...

For the 996, I think it'd just come down to finding an IMS blown car...whatever it was I'd make it work. My last company I had built a lot of component based stuff, and I used a bunch of G50 tranny variations behind the LSx...suffice to say I learned how and how not to treat them, as I blew a number of them to pieces...even with stock LS2's.

I really think a **** 996 with an LSx could be an ultimate driving/tracking machine, if modded properly. It's definitely next on my list.
40K probably not enough for a GN, if stock. Try to pick up one that already has 50-80k dumped in it for 30k.
Old 02-13-2016, 12:22 PM
bob guzzy
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Just bought a new ATS 20T AWD got it for $41K I'm impressed with the power and torque.

With all the discounts it was a bit less than 41.
Old 03-09-2016, 08:27 AM
Never-Enough
Le Mans Master

I wonder how much my options would broaden if I leased a new car. I wouldn't want to put thousands down, though.
Old 03-09-2016, 11:46 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Tis a freebie..

14 grand for three years if you do a one payment...for a 52 grand GMC Sierra nicely loaded

Or 415 a month if you pay monthly or about 16.5 plus tax

9]Lease Hackers latest deals with getting you a well optioned GMC Sierra

More here

I'm not a truck guy but this would be cool for a guy who likes to switch around cars every 36 months like yourself...

No tires, no brakes..just change the oil and put gas in...

They average about 19 mph in everyday use according to my buddy with the 5.3 v8...

Take a look...no bs just pick your color.
Old 03-09-2016, 12:04 PM
LGK-SD
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

My 2013 Acura TSX Wagon is coming to the end of its' lease. Best wagon I have ever owned and I have owned a lot of them.
Need a wagon in the family and not an SUV guy. So will go for the Volvo XC 70 AWD wagon. And lease it. Better value and function than a BMW, MB wagon. Unfortunately Acura stopped making them.
Old 03-09-2016, 12:29 PM
Never-Enough
Le Mans Master

@ Last 2 replies. Not even remotely close to performance vehicles.
Old 03-09-2016, 08:51 PM
sublime1996525
Team Owner

Received 200 Likes on 77 Posts

So if you want something more usable, have you considered the Audi S4's? I also really like the S3's. They are quick, awd, and have 4 doors so more usable.
Old 03-09-2016, 09:19 PM
Never-Enough
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by sublime1996525
So if you want something more usable, have you considered the Audi S4's? I also really like the S3's. They are quick, awd, and have 4 doors so more usable.
I'm not worried about usable unless I sold both cars for it. If I still have the Speed6, I have usable covered. Almost bought an S4 years ago. S4/S3 would not make me happy as a toy at present time...unless MAYBE I bought one that already runs 10s.
Old 03-10-2016, 02:10 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

porsche 996 911s are cars that have caved in resale value...

I think if I were looking to buy a sports car for little cash that would be the vehicle....

Either that or a boxster S..

996 911 s are like 14 to 20 grand especially in LA..California is flooded with used 996 911 s and I think they are at the bottom of depreciation cycle..I've seen as low as 11 grand for what seems like a nice 911 in LA craigslist...

They are giving them away. Just put in a new clutch, RMS and IMs bearing...if that 1 percent chance bothers you...use an independent Porsche tech and the labor rates aren't abnormal lime the dealers...

Documented replacement moves your Porsche up in value when you go to sell as they start to appreciate.....if you only spend 15 to 20....your probably looking at 4 grand for those repairs if you even decide if you want to do them..

The cars are priced so low they are like free...especially bolster S ...

The 996 turbo has no IMS issue, are value priced at what has been stated as the bottom of depreciation curve. 30 to 35 grand in transaction price ... Should give you c6 coupe like performance with two little jump seats in back...price should be below 40 easy. (West coast pricing on Porsches seems to be best on LA craigslist or maybe Florida craigslist if trip is too far,

If you want fwd or awd....check out Audi TT s ...they are like free as well..running about 10 grand....I was just looking at one in westchester...looks clean asking 12 but has dct....which could get ugly in repair costs but could be fun to drive...

Of course none rival American durability or cost to repair...

Preowned Dodge Challenger scat could be 485 hp of fun....list is 40 new so find one just a year old....should be thirties? Supposed to be a cool car if you dig muscle cars?

Might be interesting?

I didn't love the mx5 gen 1....in fact I didn't really like the car after four months....I was flooring it all the time and it was slow vein then. At first it was fun and then after about 4 thousand miles it got boring...I wasn't enthralled with the new ND...I thought it had too much body lean ...otherwise it was nice and kind of peppy. ...jmo new they run 25 to 33 grand...I'm sure a few preowned are for sale already...I wouldn't buy one again...though...I did the whole slow car fast thing and after 4K miles in 4 months....I wanted fast car fast again...which I had sitting in the garage..

I really think the c6 z06 is a strikingly beautiful car...and would suggest holding on a bit longer...I think they hit just about bottom on pricing as well...

As long as you don't mind not having roof off capability....I wouldn't sell it just yet...

These are just some cars to consider...

Fwiw....I was looking at a 2013 boxster s with the PDK, sport chrono,etc and I thought that was kind of interesting....had a extended warranty till 2019 and 100k miles...had 2000 miles on it....demo...but it was a few bucks over 40 grand...(like 50)

Also test drive jaguar f type coupe..stunningly good looking...drove like a Buick......lol a true disappointment.

I was sure that jaguar would be my next sports car....fit my requirements to a T and I thought for sure it would drive great...for some reason I thought the boxster PDK was more in line with my driving expectations of a sports car...

With the new 718 turbo rolling out....the flat six should take a depreciation dive , they are low mileage cars as usually second or third cars....you can go stick or PDK...I thought the PDK was cool and I've been driving manuals for decades...

I like the larger styling of 2013 to 2016..

gave the car a more substantial sports car look instead of a big Miata look of older generations...

Caymans are quite popular and seem to cost more as well. I prefer roof off motoring in the mountains and lakes..if you don't...then look at the caymans...

After the Germans....your pretty much done if you want any power besides the American v8s.

Could do second gen cTS v coupes....fast and radical styling which I personally thought was cool...should be under 40..

I'm out of ideas at this point...have fun test driving and deciding for yourself..

Good luck....

Last edited by JerriVette; 03-10-2016 at 03:02 AM.
Old 03-10-2016, 10:58 AM
White Out
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

What does it take to get them in the 10s or low 11s & what should one expect to pay for such a car with low miles & no issues?
$35-45k for a clean car.

Stock, they are on par with C6Z. Exhaust and tune gain 70-100hp.
Old 03-10-2016, 10:58 AM
LGK-SD
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

@ Last 2 replies. Not even remotely close to performance vehicles.
I'd run that Volvo Turbo against that Chevelle you refer to. I've had both and restored the latter. Talking left and rights. not just push and go times...
Old 03-10-2016, 11:03 AM
Never-Enough
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by LGK-SD
I'd run that Volvo Turbo against that Chevelle you refer to. I've had both and restored the latter. Talking left and rights. not just push and go times...
I am not going to build the Chevelle to just go straight.
Old 03-18-2016, 10:52 AM
Tsab
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I sold my Vette back in August and I'm thinking of taking the plunge again however I stop myself by saying" Yeah it will be great for about 3 weeks, then I will walk into the garage and say why did I buy this?"

Good luck which ever road you choose.
Old 03-18-2016, 01:04 PM
waltk88
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 15 Posts

I vote 996 Turbo. They have hit bottom in terms of pricing. If you pick one up for ~$40k, you should be able to drive it for years without losing any value. The Turbo uses a completely different motor from the base 996. It's very reliable.

There's a very deep aftermarket. The horsepower ceiling is very high and mods are not all that expensive.

Quick Reply: What to buy under $40k?