Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

What to buy under $40k?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 04:33 PM
Never-Enough
Le Mans Master

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts
Default What to buy under $40k?

I'm kicking around the idea of putting my C6Z up for sale in the Spring. Getting harder to justify all this money tied up in something that sits more than it gets driven. I work from home to boot so that leaves me with having to find an excuse to drive it.

Make no mistake, I love the car, but I don't feel I'm getting enough of a return on my money. I could also just not buy anything to replace it & I still have my daily Mazdaspeed6.

I do miss my NA Miata. The thought of getting a slightly used ND has crossed my mind. (If I do end up getting something else, it will be used. Let someone else take the hit on a new car. Also, it has to be something I can get more use out of. Hopefully, all year round. So something like a Viper is a no.)

Must be RWD or AWD & be able to turn & be fairly quick in a straight line too. I understand that nothing is going to be as fast as the Z06 (535 WHP), but I can't see myself getting into something dog slow in a straight line other than another Miata.

Maybe I should go the collectible old school muscle car route to replace it. I do plan to get a 65-67 Chevelle and do a resto mod project. I'd do it now, but budget does not allow for all the resto modding I have planned for that regardless of whether or not I sell the Z06.

What do you suggest?
Old 01-27-2016, 04:53 PM
NineBall
Safety Car

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

I guess I can't see any reason to complain about owning a C6 Z06, and wanting something else in the same $40K range. You already have the perfect car in that range. Just get out and drive it more often, quit treating it like a garage queen. Drive the hell out of it, why are you saving it for the next owner?
Old 01-27-2016, 09:31 PM
Never-Enough
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by NineBall
I guess I can't see any reason to complain about owning a C6 Z06, and wanting something else in the same $40K range. You already have the perfect car in that range. Just get out and drive it more often, quit treating it like a garage queen. Drive the hell out of it, why are you saving it for the next owner?
I bought it in August & put 3k miles on it between then & December. Hardly treating it as a garage queen. Again, I work from home. I'm not out partying every night.

Also, I wouldn't spend close to what I am on the Z on the replacement if I'm not going to REALLY love it. I don't care if it's $10k or $40k as long as it makes me happy.

Last edited by Never-Enough; 01-27-2016 at 10:32 PM.
Old 01-27-2016, 10:30 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

FWIW, I only put about 3K mi's per yr on my C6 ZR1...work, travel, family commitments all get in the way of driving it regularly.

But, I'm keeping it as long as I can because there's nothing else like it that I will ever own...and I have other vehicles for family haulers etc.

NineBall has offered good advice for both of us !
Old 01-27-2016, 11:37 PM
kverges
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 18 Posts

I've owned a C6Z and sold it when I got the vastly more expensive and no faster on the street GT3 (different matter on track). I also recently bought an ND Miata and the damn GT3 has been parked for a month. Apples and oranges but the new ND is a gem and at 2300 lbs gives a driving dynamic that most cars just can't offer. It's nothing in a straight line, but you should test drive a ND. Now would I have no big power cars in the stable? No. So what I'd consider is selling the 6 and getting a ND and keeping the Z.
Old 01-28-2016, 12:16 AM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Never-Enough
I'm kicking around the idea of putting my C6Z up for sale in the Spring. Getting harder to justify all this money tied up in something that sits more than it gets driven. I work from home to boot so that leaves me with having to find an excuse to drive it.

Make no mistake, I love the car, but I don't feel I'm getting enough of a return on my money. I could also just not buy anything to replace it & I still have my daily Mazdaspeed6.

I do miss my NA Miata. The thought of getting a slightly used ND has crossed my mind. (If I do end up getting something else, it will be used. Let someone else take the hit on a new car. Also, it has to be something I can get more use out of. Hopefully, all year round. So something like a Viper is a no.)

Must be RWD or AWD & be able to turn & be fairly quick in a straight line too. I understand that nothing is going to be as fast as the Z06 (535 WHP), but I can't see myself getting into something dog slow in a straight line other than another Miata.

Maybe I should go the collectible old school muscle car route to replace it. I do plan to get a 65-67 Chevelle and do a resto mod project. I'd do it now, but budget does not allow for all the resto modding I have planned for that regardless of whether or not I sell the Z06.

What do you suggest?
This is a tough one because you have that diversity that really only means YOU can answer this question.

I suppose the question that comes to mind is, why not just combine the MazdaSpeed and part of the Z06 fund and get a more performance oriented daily? Then bank some of the remaining say...20k into small investments/flips to see if you can grow that account on its own. Best way to fill that secondary space is with quick flips that you feel sure you can make a few grand on. Nothing better than a cash buyer ready to move. Lots of toys in the 20k range that when bought off season can sell well on season.

Just an idea...without thinking too hard of course.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:39 AM
Never-Enough
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by kverges
I've owned a C6Z and sold it when I got the vastly more expensive and no faster on the street GT3 (different matter on track). I also recently bought an ND Miata and the damn GT3 has been parked for a month. Apples and oranges but the new ND is a gem and at 2300 lbs gives a driving dynamic that most cars just can't offer. It's nothing in a straight line, but you should test drive a ND. Now would I have no big power cars in the stable? No. So what I'd consider is selling the 6 and getting a ND and keeping the Z.
That would not be an option. I own the MS6. The bank still owns the Z06.
Old 01-28-2016, 01:23 PM
White Out
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Some ideas:

Grand National
Gen2 Viper
996TT - high mileage
STI (any generation)
EVO9
R32 GTR
E46 M3 // E92 M3
Z3M Coupe with S54 motor
FD RX7 (LSx swapped)
Elise/Exige

Last edited by White Out; 01-28-2016 at 01:24 PM.
Old 01-28-2016, 02:38 PM
Never-Enough
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by White Out
Some ideas:

Grand National
Gen2 Viper
996TT - high mileage
STI (any generation)
EVO9
R32 GTR
E46 M3 // E92 M3
Z3M Coupe with S54 motor
FD RX7 (LSx swapped)
Elise/Exige
Are you on E90P too? Looks almost exactly like a list someone there posted. Did you read my OP? I specifically said something like a Viper would NOT work.
Old 01-28-2016, 04:05 PM
Lou7787
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

I'm a little confused. If you can't justify the vette because you don't drive it much why do you think a Miata (a great little car) will be any different. I'm assuming you can't drive the vette in winter in your location but the Miata doesn't seem to change that much. Being that it's also two seats and not much of a winter car. Sounds like you might want a Subaru WRX.
Old 01-28-2016, 04:36 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Some ideas:

Grand National
Gen2 Viper
996TT - high mileage
STI (any generation)
EVO9
R32 GTR
E46 M3 // E92 M3
Z3M Coupe with S54 motor
FD RX7 (LSx swapped)
Elise/Exige
How does a guy make that list and have "Grand National" in there....

You're Porsche done yet?

I'm strongly considering a 996 Carrera 4 build with an LSX, 997 front end...basically a complete ***** that loves the D and doesn't care about marriage, just getting pounded.
Old 01-28-2016, 05:04 PM
Roscoe
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Put your $$$ in guns & get ready for the revolution.
Old 01-28-2016, 05:09 PM
Never-Enough
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Lou7787
I'm a little confused. If you can't justify the vette because you don't drive it much why do you think a Miata (a great little car) will be any different. I'm assuming you can't drive the vette in winter in your location but the Miata doesn't seem to change that much. Being that it's also two seats and not much of a winter car. Sounds like you might want a Subaru WRX.
I already have a Mazdaspeed6. I don't need or want a WRX.
Old 01-28-2016, 05:55 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 615 Likes on 494 Posts

There is a 91 C4 coupe in the for sale section. LS1 swapped, cam and LT's. 11K. If I never bought my car, I would buy that car ASAP.
Old 01-29-2016, 03:05 AM
White Out
Burning Brakes

Are you on E90P too? Looks almost exactly like a list someone there posted. Did you read my OP? I specifically said something like a Viper would NOT work.
I'm not.

Go drive a bolt on 996TT, it's addicting.

Originally Posted by RC000E
How does a guy make that list and have "Grand National" in there....

You're Porsche done yet?

I'm strongly considering a 996 Carrera 4 build with an LSX, 997 front end...basically a complete ***** that loves the D and doesn't care about marriage, just getting pounded.
GN is a great car: lots of power potential; brakes & suspension upgrades make a big difference and are cheap; overall it's cheap; fairly rare; not much breaks.

Which Porsche are you referring to? I'm currently Porsche-less.

Do a 996-2 for an LSx over a -4. AWD system isn't that great, but an LSD in the back of a -2 is great. If you do go AWD, I make 2WD conversions. LSx 996 is probably the most fun you'll ever have in a car, especially if you DGAF about abusing the car.
Old 01-29-2016, 10:42 AM
Never-Enough
Le Mans Master

Maybe I should just sell both cars & get 1 nice fun car I can drive all year.
Old 01-29-2016, 02:02 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Which Porsche are you referring to? I'm currently Porsche-less.

Do a 996-2 for an LSx over a -4. AWD system isn't that great, but an LSD in the back of a -2 is great. If you do go AWD, I make 2WD conversions. LSx 996 is probably the most fun you'll ever have in a car, especially if you DGAF about abusing the car.
IDK man...you lost me on the GN. I agree they are...ok...had plenty of douches I knew modding them and using FPR to tune them, keeping everything internally gated and playing bolt on. To me it's like anything...with enough money and time it'll turn and stop but...why...

I thought I recalled you doing a porsche build on another forum...

For the 996, I think it'd just come down to finding an IMS blown car...whatever it was I'd make it work. My last company I had built a lot of component based stuff, and I used a bunch of G50 tranny variations behind the LSx...suffice to say I learned how and how not to treat them, as I blew a number of them to pieces...even with stock LS2's.

I really think a **** 996 with an LSx could be an ultimate driving/tracking machine, if modded properly. It's definitely next on my list.

Get notified of new replies

To What to buy under $40k?

Old 01-29-2016, 02:05 PM
Never-Enough
Le Mans Master

I'm not ready for the Porsche tax Maybe if it is modded already & close to as fast as the Z06 is.

Last edited by Never-Enough; 01-29-2016 at 02:05 PM.
Old 01-29-2016, 08:09 PM
White Out
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RC000E
I thought I recalled you doing a porsche build on another forum...

For the 996, I think it'd just come down to finding an IMS blown car...whatever it was I'd make it work. My last company I had built a lot of component based stuff, and I used a bunch of G50 tranny variations behind the LSx...suffice to say I learned how and how not to treat them, as I blew a number of them to pieces...even with stock LS2's.

I really think a **** 996 with an LSx could be an ultimate driving/tracking machine, if modded properly. It's definitely next on my list.
I had an LS1 996, sold it in 2013. That car was crazy fun. Good to know about the G50. I was using a G96 box.

If I did another LS swap, would be a C4S (widebody & turbo brakes/suspension) and gut the trans to make it 2WD with LSD. I liked the TT so much, that if I get into another 996, it will likely be another TT.

I'm not ready for the Porsche tax Maybe if it is modded already & close to as fast as the Z06 is.
Plenty of modified cars out there. Exhaust and tune make a huge difference in the car. Prices for everything, except OEM clutch, is fairly normal.
Old 01-30-2016, 06:51 PM
LGK-SD
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary '09 C6
FWIW, I only put about 3K mi's per yr on my C6 ZR1...work, travel, family commitments all get in the way of driving it regularly.

But, I'm keeping it as long as I can because there's nothing else like it that I will ever own...and I have other vehicles for family haulers etc.

NineBall has offered good advice for both of us !

Quick Reply: What to buy under $40k?