Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Goodbye Scion!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 11:53 AM
Dominic Toretto
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Goodbye Scion!

(MSN)After nearly 13 years, Toyota has decided to drop the youth-oriented Scion brand. Despite an attempt last year to rekindle its mojo with two new models, the iA and iM, Scion is closing up shop.

According to a report by CarBuzzard.com journalist BJ Killeen, Scion employees were briefed on Tuesday ahead of an announcement to be made Wednesday.

Scion has suffered years of sales declines, but it seemed like Toyota had a plan to turn the brand around. In addition to the Mazda2-based iA and rebadged Euro-market Toyota Auris, the iM, Scion was expected to add a version of the Toyota C-HR crossover to its lineup. A C-HR concept sporting a Scion badge was even shown off at the recent 2015 Los Angeles auto show last November. The new cars are more practical and mainstream-looking than the boxy, quirky-cool xB, the vehicle that helped the Scion brand establish its identity. They appeal to a wider audience but still have a hint of that rebellious streak Scion is known for. The revamped lineup seemed like a new beginning for the brand.

But alas, Scion's rebirth was not to be. A brand targeted at young people in an era when those young people are buying fewer and fewer cars occupies an extremely narrow niche. In 2015, the entire Scion brand sold 56,167 cars -- less than the number of Toyota Avalons sold. Its highest sales year was in 2006, when it sold 175,000. And for years, many have questioned whether Scion was even reaching its target demographic effectively. Some reports placed the average age of the Scion buyer at 49. The notion that young buyers would grow up with Scion, graduate to something in the Toyota lineup, and ultimately end up in a Lexus seemed like a good idea at the time. But it apparently hasn't worked out.
© Provided by MotorTrend 2016-Scion-iM-front-three-quarter-in-motion-13
Have recent gas prices hurt? Did FCA killing the 200 help push Toyota's decision? Probably didn't help.

Scion will be remembered for its edgy products and out-of-the-box marketing strategies. Though the kids may not have been receptive to the products, few would deny that Scion events were cool, authentic, and genuinely fun. The brand's no-haggle pricing was another innovative tactic designed to attract new buyers that might otherwise be intimidated by the car buying process. And when Scion's lineup was at its dullest, after some started piling on Toyota for ignoring the brand and letting it wither, Toyota gifted it with the FR-S, a rebadged version of the rear-drive Toyota 86 and Subaru BRZ sports car. We previously reported that a second generation was planned, but given that FR-S sales plummeted more than 25 percent in 2015, it's uncertain what will become of that car.

It was a noble effort, Scion. Thanks for keeping it real.

-Alex
Old 02-03-2016, 12:38 PM
Velocity_Vette
Drifting

Received 352 Likes on 294 Posts

There are some initial reports that some of the Scion models will absorb back into Toyota proper. Kind of like when Geo closed up and GM re-badged some of the cars back as Chevrolets. It would make sense since they JUST released the iM and iA

That will make enthusiasts happy since the FR-S in particular many wondered why that just wasn't called Toyota GT86 in North America from the start. The FR-S is a pretty good car despite it desperately needing a power boost. I drove it (and the BRZ) and it has all the right things going for an affordable 2+2 sports car. It's unfortunately there's not more power options from the factory which I feel really kills it when you consider say the Genesis Coupe offered both a turbo four and a fairly powerful V6. I would probably pick an FR-S over say a similar year Miata, but I have yet to drive the latest ND Miata. I'm waiting for the FR-S to really hit the depreciation curve which it already is considering '13s can be had for nearing under $15K with low mileage.

I know one of the local sales managers at my local Toyota/Scion. He said for sure Scion was missing the mark on it's targeted audience. He claimed a good deal of buyers for the FR-S were actually well above their 30s, and only younger people who knew the car bought it initially. The other quirky designs attracted middle aged buyers who didn't want to pay a lot for a car. The prior gen TC was really the car that youth buyers flocked to.
Old 02-03-2016, 02:41 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

I'm surprised it lasted this long to be honest. Scion, in my opinion, missed the mark from day one. It attempted to capture the import market/crowd with it's modify from the factory, but I always felt the offerings were a little weird. Scion as a whole, did spawn a funky little *** like scene. Those little box vans are big in Japan, from a mod standpoint, but in America all our little van modders are those old boy wackos with PT Cruisers.

I agree on the FRS, it should've just been a Toyota...that's how the concept really started.

I will say, I did build one beast scion for a customer of mine though...Wilwoods, full custom forced induction setup, suspension, etc. So, I did my part...lol. My customer at the time actually chose the Scion over a new Si. He was an Si shopper, but preferred the 2.4 in the Scion.

Last edited by RC000E; 02-03-2016 at 02:41 PM.
Old 02-03-2016, 03:50 PM
Dominic Toretto
Race Director

I think Toyota should have a TRD line. With the new concepts they have pushed lately. The FRS was the only attractive Scion. The box thing was cool in it's own right but, the line was too saturated IMO.

-Alex
Old 02-04-2016, 10:39 AM
Leon.
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RC000E
I'm surprised it lasted this long to be honest. Scion, in my opinion, missed the mark from day one.
They started off really strong, and Toyota never followed up building off the success of the 1st generation cars. Besides, the idea of catering a car brand to people who generally do not have money to buy new cars was doomed to fail eventually.

None the less, its not a huge loss, i am sure the successful models will be incorporated into the Toyota lineup. Toyota/Lexus/Scion all the same badge profile, so its just a matter of rebadging.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:17 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Toyota/Lexus is on the move in America...some big changes are afoot. At NAIAS, Lexus spoke a lot about the future and about creating more emotion. They are bringing essential concepts forward to production. Will it gain american traction...that's yet to be determined but, the response so far seems positive. Lexus is doing some very organic, very dramatic styling and though it's almost niche, I think it's bold as hell.

The "F" also seems to be gaining some momentum with Toyota/Lexus. I feel like some type of "sport division" to replace Scion could happen.

For the sake of Toyota/F/Scion...I'll give my contribution:

Here's a scion I built back in like...08...lol...

And here's me driving the LFA prototype in 2010

Last edited by RC000E; 02-04-2016 at 12:20 PM.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:19 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

Scion disappearing is no great loss...never liked any of them.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:54 AM
scotty t
Burning Brakes

Received 263 Likes on 104 Posts
Finalist 2022 C1 of the Year - Modified

does this mean my wife's will XB disappear? that would be nice.
Old 02-07-2016, 10:55 AM
Dominic Toretto
Race Director

I'm really feeling this!

http://www.speedhunters.com/2016/01/...acing-concept/

-Alex
Old 02-07-2016, 03:01 PM
J3TVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 405 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary '09 C6
Scion disappearing is no great loss...never liked any of them.
Pretty much agree with this comment. The FR-S or whatever it was called was their best car but I would rather just have a mustang at that price level. Even a turbo 4.

Get notified of new replies

To Goodbye Scion!