Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Supercharged Cadillac STS-V, Eddie and Ercie Hill's personal car, for sale.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 08:05 PM
silversport
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm glad someone could get it that will really enjoy it...

Bill
Old 08-11-2016, 03:31 AM
TerryL
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

I recently bought Eddie's supercharged Caddy from Texas that has a Spectre brand 'cold air' intake. It PASSED the functionality portion of the CA smog test but failed the...visual portion of the test due to the modified intake system. Go ahead, read that again. Yes, it passed, but I was failed because it didn't have a CARB (California Air Resources Board) sticker on the intake. Went to a smog 'referee' who told me the same thing. When asked if this made any sense to him, he reverted to being a good State employee and had no answer other than, "that's what the rules say." What happened to the purpose of the stringent smog requirements here? Aren't they supposed to weed out those offending vehicles that can't pass due to emitting too much crud into the atmosphere? Simply because the intake system is modified, and even though it passed the functionality portion (the only meaningful portion of the test) the State is allowed to require me to return the system back to OEM in order to register it. Ain't life grand?

Last edited by TerryL; 08-11-2016 at 03:31 AM.
Old 08-20-2016, 09:05 AM
SLO VETTE
Race Director

Received 326 Likes on 188 Posts

Welcome to CA CARB hell. It means the manufacturer said FU to the state and didn't play by the blackmail rules of CARB, which is basically write them a big fat check so a CARB sticker can go on the product. When I lived there I wanted to do fun things with my Vette but opted to keep it largely stock. Don't have the CA air **** issues here on east coast where I now live.

Beautiful car by the way. Enjoy it!

Originally Posted by TerryL
I recently bought Eddie's supercharged Caddy from Texas that has a Spectre brand 'cold air' intake. It PASSED the functionality portion of the CA smog test but failed the...visual portion of the test due to the modified intake system. Go ahead, read that again. Yes, it passed, but I was failed because it didn't have a CARB (California Air Resources Board) sticker on the intake. Went to a smog 'referee' who told me the same thing. When asked if this made any sense to him, he reverted to being a good State employee and had no answer other than, "that's what the rules say." What happened to the purpose of the stringent smog requirements here? Aren't they supposed to weed out those offending vehicles that can't pass due to emitting too much crud into the atmosphere? Simply because the intake system is modified, and even though it passed the functionality portion (the only meaningful portion of the test) the State is allowed to require me to return the system back to OEM in order to register it. Ain't life grand?

Last edited by SLO VETTE; 08-20-2016 at 09:06 AM.
Old 08-20-2016, 06:31 PM
TerryL
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

There were so few of these models made it took awhile but I finally sourced an OEM take off from a Canadian 07. Installed it and guess what, it passed smog, just like the Spectre unit did...GM wanted over a grand for a new unit BTW. Got a good deal on the Canadian unit for less than half that so that cost plus another smog check fee is all it cost me. Seems to run just as well but the air box quietens down the whine so much I can't hear it at all. Now, new shocks and a new fuel filter/regulator and I'll also have the driver's seat lumbar fixed along with a new seatbelt latching mechanism that caused the service airbag light to come on after I put 3,000 miles on it. A common problem I hear. Sweet car. Nobody can believe it's ten years old.
Attached Images  
Old 08-28-2016, 11:11 AM
FourFather
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 16 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22

Looking good, Terry!

Glad you are enjoying the car and are able to drive it more frequently than the way we used it.

You have some pretty drives in your part of the country.

When Ercie and I were top fuel racing in Pomona, back in the day, we bought a new ZR-1 Corvette while we were there, and really enjoyed driving it around the area and up and down Mt.Baldy.

Hope you have many miles and smiles with your STS-V, and enjoy it in good health.

Eddie FourFather Hill

Last edited by FourFather; 08-29-2016 at 10:46 AM.

Quick Reply: Supercharged Cadillac STS-V, Eddie and Ercie Hill's personal car, for sale.