Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Drove a 2016 Camaro SS A8

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 11:45 AM
River Rat
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Drove a 2016 Camaro SS A8

Just to see if I could get a Vette with back seat for almost half price. Nice car, but it is NO comparison to my Vette.

Since I found out two weeks ago Im going to be a Dad for the first time (at 40) I thought I may need a back seat.

Afterward, I went across the street to the Cadillac dealer. I saw (didnt drive yet) a sweet ATS-V all decked out in that laser blue and carbon fiber aero skirts. Man that thing looks good. Havent driven it yet, but I hear its killer! Gonna have to look at this seriously...especially since they were offering a lease for about $650-700/mo. for the same MSRP as my Vette.

Also saw (didn't drive yet) a CTS-V in silver...wow what a beauty. A 640HP baby hauler...can you imagine!

Why cant I have all three!???
Old 03-25-2016, 12:28 PM
stevebz06
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by River Rat
Just to see if I could get a Vette with back seat for almost half price. Nice car, but it is NO comparison to my Vette.

Since I found out two weeks ago Im going to be a Dad for the first time (at 40) I thought I may need a back seat.

Afterward, I went across the street to the Cadillac dealer. I saw (didnt drive yet) a sweet ATS-V all decked out in that laser blue and carbon fiber aero skirts. Man that thing looks good. Havent driven it yet, but I hear its killer! Gonna have to look at this seriously...especially since they were offering a lease for about $650-700/mo. for the same MSRP as my Vette.

Also saw (didn't drive yet) a CTS-V in silver...wow what a beauty. A 640HP baby hauler...can you imagine!

Once the wife has a week or two to recover, push her back into the labor force, maybe sell the kid on the open market and there is probably no reason to not buy all of these.

I am kind of mulling maybe looking at a 1LE Camaro. Could you be a little more specific as to why the SS didn't impress you compared to the Vette? I remember that a lot of Corvette Forum people slamming the 5th gen even though the Z28 could lap faster than the Z51 in a lot of tests.

The main objection to the Camaro seemed to be that it wasn't a Corvette.
Old 03-25-2016, 02:30 PM
TennisFreak
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 52 Posts

Buddy test drove a 2016 Camaro 2SS and bought it.

Traded in his 2013 1LE Camaro for it.

I went with him when he bought it and drove the thing home.

It is a very very nice car. Its no longer a big hulking Camaro, its truly a cheaper sports car (and cheap is relative).

Back seat is completely useless.

Many interior design philosophies and technologies used the our Corvette have carried over to the Camaro but have been improved upon.

Screen is capacitive instead of our resistive type. System is quicker to respond and screen is much brighter.

Camaro gets blind spot monitoring unlike us.

I'm not saying I would trade my Corvette in on one.

BUT if this version of the Camaro had existed when I bought my Corvette I might have bought the Camaro instead and saved $20k.
Old 03-25-2016, 02:37 PM
ea327
Drifting

Received 703 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by River Rat

If you want a 4 door Vette, the CTS-V is the way to go!
Old 03-25-2016, 03:14 PM
River Rat
Advanced

Originally Posted by stevebz06
Once the wife has a week or two to recover, push her back into the labor force, maybe sell the kid on the open market and there is probably no reason to not buy all of these.

I am kind of mulling maybe looking at a 1LE Camaro. Could you be a little more specific as to why the SS didn't impress you compared to the Vette? I remember that a lot of Corvette Forum people slamming the 5th gen even though the Z28 could lap faster than the Z51 in a lot of tests.

The main objection to the Camaro seemed to be that it wasn't a Corvette.
I went from a 2013 Mustang GT Track Pack to a 2016 Z51. Night and day, right? I loved my GT, but when I jumped in my Vette...no comparison.

If I would have gone from the GT to the new SS, the SS would have beat it in many categories. In fact, if the '16 SS was readily available when I traded the GT, I would be driving an SS today (or a CTS/ATS - V)

The SS is a fantastic car, don't get me wrong. I love that its going to beat up on the new Stang too. That said, it is $30K cheaper for a reason. Where I noticed the differences were in the fit and finish (door closing, plastic in the cockpit, technology (seemed like the suspension and transmission programming was simplified in the SS versus the Vette), size/weight (Cam SS seamed like a big car compared to the Vette, both when you get in and when you drive).

The Camaro SS is a Vette-lite...BUT... Really, in the end, made me appreciate my Vette even more!

Last edited by River Rat; 03-25-2016 at 03:16 PM.
Old 03-25-2016, 03:35 PM
stevebz06
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 205 Posts

My primary interest is in driving dynamics, what kind of lap time, etc. I have Corvettes and I have a Camaro and of course there is a big difference, but what I am seeing about the Gen 6 Camaro leads me to believe there won't be a huge difference performance wise between it and the Corvette. I have read someplace that in testing the 1LE was 3 seconds faster than the SS, which should put it around the same as the 5th Gen Z28, which might make it faster then the Z51. That would make it quite a performance bargain.
Old 03-25-2016, 04:07 PM
River Rat
Advanced

Originally Posted by stevebz06
My primary interest is in driving dynamics, what kind of lap time, etc. I have Corvettes and I have a Camaro and of course there is a big difference, but what I am seeing about the Gen 6 Camaro leads me to believe there won't be a huge difference performance wise between it and the Corvette. I have read someplace that in testing the 1LE was 3 seconds faster than the SS, which should put it around the same as the 5th Gen Z28, which might make it faster then the Z51. That would make it quite a performance bargain.
I only drove the Camero SS, but even so...SS Vs. Z51 advertised numbers are 4.0 vs. 3.7 0-60 I believe. So really close performance wise.

Now, if youre talking ZL1...thats a different animal...640HP...10 speed auto...WOW! the Z06 will have to come with a 10 speed when the ZL1 comes out.

Ill leave this here too: https://www.yahoo.com/autos/chevy-ca...110000808.html
Old 03-25-2016, 05:47 PM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Received 441 Likes on 292 Posts

The ATS-V would be a fine baby hauler, the interior is a little sparse but seems like a fine car otherwise.
Old 03-25-2016, 07:51 PM
BooSSted
Drifting

Received 309 Likes on 250 Posts

The Camaro is a great bargin, the ZL1 is going to really close the gap from pony cars to sports cars.
That said I'd love to own a CTSV just as the family car lol!
Old 03-25-2016, 09:16 PM
15Stingray
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I posted this same conversation last fall and got rejected to the CAMARO forum. I will be interested to c how long this post will last under the CORVETTE forum. Hope I am wrong.
Old 03-26-2016, 06:10 AM
CETA 256
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

My son has a 2016 SS with the 8 speed auto. It is a beast and very nice. Chevy has done an excellent job. You can tell it is lighter in the curves than his previous 5th generation.
Old 03-26-2016, 08:39 AM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

Congrats on the baby, Dad. Good luck on your car purchase. I hope you can keep your Vette!
Old 03-26-2016, 08:52 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 933 Likes on 488 Posts
Tech Contributor

I traded my 14 c7 for a 16 V6 camaro. My back just could not take getting in and out of the vette any more with two fused discs. The V6 is more than enuf horsepower for me, at 335 hp, it has good acceleration. Naturally, I modded it and cleaned it up a bit, no chrome, no badges and new wider wheels. Loved the vette but this seating position is much better for me:

Last edited by Glen e; 03-26-2016 at 09:04 AM.
Old 03-26-2016, 09:00 AM
01VETTECOP
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen e
I traded my 14 c7 for a 16 V6 camaro. My back just could not take getting in and out of the vette any more with two fused discs. The V6 is more than enuf horsepower for me, at 335 hp. It has good acceleration. Naturally I modded it and cleaned it up a bit, no chrome, no badges and new wheels. Loved the vette but the seating position is much better for me:
WOW that is a Nice looking car !
Old 03-26-2016, 10:26 AM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,829 Posts

Congrats on becoming a father!
Old 03-26-2016, 12:17 PM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Good luck on finding that perfect baby hauler and congratulations...Dad!
Old 03-26-2016, 12:23 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,928 Likes on 4,810 Posts

Best of luck, but I do not think the Camaro is the answer.

Get notified of new replies

To Drove a 2016 Camaro SS A8

Old 03-26-2016, 12:33 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Congrats on finding out you are becoming a dad. Fwiw I bought my first new corvette almost 20 years ago around the time my son was born. There is no reason to become a dad and sell your vette.

For the few times you lol be hauling the kid around your corvette will do just fine.

There is clearly no reason to sell the corvette.

Unless you really want a four seat car.

You can own a corvette and be a sad at the same time. The corvette is actually one of the safest cars on the road.

I'm sure your wife will have a four door vehicle to drive around as a family...

In my opinion? Just keep your corvette and if you really need a four seater....just lease a Buick Encore for 500 down 174 a month for 24 months....,get a gm credit card...buy some diapers and baby stuff with the card to knock a few bucks off...

Again...I never found owning a vette and being a dad of one child a problem.

Last edited by JerriVette; 03-26-2016 at 12:39 PM.
Old 03-26-2016, 03:41 PM
Crushinator
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 77 Posts

Have you considered an Audi S4?
Old 03-27-2016, 01:45 AM
ClipperFan
Race Director

Received 65 Likes on 48 Posts

I'd wait for a good deal and get something with 4 doors, its just easier with a kid. Congratulations

That V6 Camaro with the 8 speed auto trans runs mid 13's in the quarter mile. Not bad at all

Quick Reply: Drove a 2016 Camaro SS A8