Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Truly amazing technology

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 10:25 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Default Truly amazing technology

We bought a new 2016 Buick Enclave last month with the LLT 3.6L DOHC, VVT, direct injection.

The idea was to replace our beloved 06 Equinox, but opted for more space. Its a utility vehicle with all the bells and whistles, magnetic suspension, 6-speed auto, AWD, etc, etc. So, I wasn't expecting much from a 3.6L V6 in a 5000#+ "Family Truckster".

Well, WOW were my eyes opened in just about every respect, far as ride, handling, and especially power! Well, that is to be expected, I suppose - being 10 years newer and all. But! I was especially impressed with the performance and torque across the rpm band.

So, I got to looking at the specs, and when I ran across this (from Wikipedia), it was an "ah-HA" moment (for me).

Look how FLAT that torque curve is! (Reminds me of another motor that some here would rather forget!)

Last edited by Paul Workman; 04-06-2016 at 10:30 AM.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:55 AM
John A. Marker
Le Mans Master

Received 167 Likes on 148 Posts

Perhaps you should pull the motor and drop it into your Vette. If the 6 weighs less than the V8 you could be saving a little weight in the swap.....
Old 04-06-2016, 11:34 AM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by John A. Marker
Perhaps you should pull the motor and drop it into your Vette. If the 6 weighs less than the V8 you could be saving a little weight in the swap.....
And the OP's post would become corvette related
Old 04-06-2016, 12:28 PM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

Received 561 Likes on 429 Posts

That is an impressive torque curve. My mother has an enclave and the first time I drove it I was impressed by the power the engine had given the weight of the car. Buick makes nice cars for sure!
Old 04-06-2016, 03:27 PM
Phatphil
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My wife recently got a 2014 Buick Regal twin turbo...Holy Moly that thing is quick. She has had Rendevous,' Encore, Enclave and her beloved Supercharged 99 Pearl white Riviera that we never should have parted with but this little Regal sure isn't my fathers 86 Buick Century that I remember. It's amazing the performance they are getting out of these small motors.
Old 04-06-2016, 05:20 PM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Cruisinfanatic
I'm a student of automotive technology. It's OK to become totally immersed in a particular study; it's where expertise comes from. But, just once in a while, one has to come up for air to get fresh perspectives, yes??

What I see, and wanted to share, is my enthusiasm for a technology that demonstrates significant advances, one proven in a practical application. Because, then it is fun to forecast future applications for the tech.

I'm just connecting some dots........while gazing into my crystal ball at some other potential applications - Corvettes among them. Care to join me? ...... .. . ..... ..?

Last edited by Paul Workman; 04-06-2016 at 05:23 PM.
Old 04-06-2016, 05:46 PM
bigtoys
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DMITTZ
That is an impressive torque curve. My mother has an enclave and the first time I drove it I was impressed by the power the engine had given the weight of the car. Buick makes nice cars for sure!
This isn't new...can you say GNX?

Last edited by bigtoys; 04-06-2016 at 05:46 PM.
Old 04-06-2016, 05:51 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

There are issues with GDI make sure you are aware of them. Carbon deposits on the valves, increased potential for $$$$ camshaft wear/High Pressure fuel pump failure from NOT changing the oil enough or NOT using DEXOS approved oils,etc....

Technology comes with a price. Parts in the long term will be more $$$$.
Old 04-06-2016, 06:00 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

I just laughed out loud. My boss is probably wondering what in Hades is going on.
Old 04-06-2016, 06:10 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,453 Likes on 2,805 Posts

I've had those as rentals many times. I thought that has to be the worst engine for a crossover ever. They are gutless at low rpms, and struggle to get moving, but if you apply too much gas and it hits its "VTEC" at like 3300 rpm, it spins the tires like a high school kid. Absolutely the worst engine pairing I've seen in a long time. Those crossovers scream for a nice diesel engine that will lug them around at low rpms well, and get good highway fuel economy.

It's a real shame too, because the rest of the vehicle is quite good. I'm partial to the GMC version with its HUD

Plus, I won't touch direct injection engines. Dual injection I would, but not direct only injection.

Last edited by FAUEE; 04-06-2016 at 06:10 PM.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:49 PM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

Slow day as far as Corvette news I guess.
Old 04-06-2016, 11:27 PM
H P Bushrod

Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts
CI 5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
NCM Sinkhole Donor

The man's got a point...Moving to other cars.
Old 04-08-2016, 08:37 AM
shootnstarz
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Paul's contributed enough help to this forum that he should be able to post his enthusiasm about his new car without the bash treatment. What is this? The "Off Topic" thread where the old joke about the differences between a porcupine and a Corvette owner are relevant.

Lighten up, that post didn't hurt you one bit or cost you one red cent.

Rick
Old 04-08-2016, 11:17 AM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

Originally Posted by shootnstarz
Paul's contributed enough help to this forum that he should be able to post his enthusiasm about his new car without the bash treatment. What is this? The "Off Topic" thread where the old joke about the differences between a porcupine and a Corvette owner are relevant.

Rick
Nobody is bashing Paul, and nobody was trying to squash his enthusiasm for his new Buick. Paul's original post had no relevance to Corvettes... he did not mention swapping this remarkable V6 into a Corvette, or anything else. So, Mike posted a sarcastic/humorous comment about the thread topic not being Corvette-related. And yes Paul has contributed much to these forums, that is not the point.

These forums are categorized for a reason. If an exception is made for one member, or allow a thread topic in a forum where it *clearly* doesn't belong, that is a slippery slope.

I don't want this website to become a spaghetti mess because some members (or discussion topics) get preferential treatment. We all agreed to the same rules when we signed up here, remember?

Thank you moderators for moving this thread.
Old 04-08-2016, 11:41 AM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Originally Posted by shootnstarz

Rick
You might want to lighten up a little bit yourself. "Bash treatment"? Are you kidding? No one is bashing here. As a matter of fact, I was just about to start a post here about what color I should paint my house!
Old 04-08-2016, 11:44 AM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Originally Posted by DGXR
Nobody is bashing Paul, and nobody was trying to squash his enthusiasm for his new Buick. Paul's original post had no relevance to Corvettes... he did not mention swapping this remarkable V6 into a Corvette, or anything else. So, Mike posted a sarcastic/humorous comment about the thread topic not being Corvette-related. And yes Paul has contributed much to these forums, that is not the point.

These forums are categorized for a reason. If an exception is made for one member, or allow a thread topic in a forum where it *clearly* doesn't belong, that is a slippery slope.

I don't want this website to become a spaghetti mess because some members (or discussion topics) get preferential treatment. We all agreed to the same rules when we signed up here, remember?

Thank you moderators for moving this thread.

Exactly!
Old 04-08-2016, 12:30 PM
7t5
Le Mans Master

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I work at Romulus Powertrain where this engine is made. I have been working on the launch for a little more than 2 years. It is truly an amazing process to produce this engine.
Old 05-03-2016, 01:24 PM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

With all due respect, guys, the clue I was trying to present is all one has to do is draw a line from those innovations (like the modern 3.6L V6) to a 6.2L and the lid comes off very quickly, and flat explodes when you SC them! Ya gotta think beyond the limits of the box a little. GM gets somewhere above 3.xL and suddenly can't move beyond pushrods, for the love of Mike!!

Bluntly... It took the DOHC V8 Lotus motor to get GM Powertrain off their hands in the late 80s. The writing is on the wall, thanks to other makers, e.g., Mercedes, Aston, Porsche, Audi, BMW, Ford, there is no doubt what COULD be done. The question is, especially since it make sense in smaller engines, when is Corvette going to blossom again - and get out from under Cadillac's (and European's) shadow, LEAD instead of being reactive?

Just sayin.
Old 05-03-2016, 06:58 PM
TurboTnZ06
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Meh, just I run 10.40's at 130+ on pump gas 93 and meth on my 80's Buick pushrod V6, at 3560#'s for the class I run, and get 20+ mpg. Would be cool to twin turbo a late model V6 with DI though, then again, a DI 6.2 in my GMC would be more fun with two turbos too.

Get notified of new replies

To Truly amazing technology

Quick Reply: Truly amazing technology