Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Big Oldmobile problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 09:19 PM
70vetteinpieces
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Big Oldmobile problem

I have an 1975 Oldsmobile Delta 88 convertible with a 350 rocket V8.
Having issues with fuel. Rebuilt quadrajet.

It will run well and then start sputtering like its running out of fuel with light to moderate acceleration.

Taped a fuel gauge to the windshield with mechanical pump pressure at the carb was 3 1/2 to 5 lbs. When it starts acting up the pressure was near 0. Replaced the pump - same problem. Checked the lines and charcoal canister all clear. Ran without gas cap - no difference. Put an electric pump on and bypassed the mechanical pump now get 6 lbs at the carb but under moderate acceleration drops under 3 lbs and starts sputtering like out of fuel. with electric pump I was expecting a steady reading. there is no return line.

next I ran a hose into the filler tube directly to the electric pump. same thing fuel pressure would vary. Thought issue might be with pickup tube

put a t fitting before the pump and hooked up the pressure gauge. expected to get a vacuum reading but shows about 3lbs pressure.

Any clues to what is going on? Any suggestions for another test to find the problem?
Old 04-21-2016, 11:58 PM
The boss
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Was the problem the same (sputtering) after you ran a hose into the filler tube directly to the electric pump? Have you hooked the electric pump to the old fuel line or did you ran a new line to the carb? Long ago I had a similar problem with a customers car, I found my problem using a jerry can, ran a line to the fuel pump and the car was ok, I blew all the line and found pieces of rubber. The inside of rubber line had started to deteriorate that was causing a restriction Good luck

Last edited by The boss; 04-21-2016 at 11:59 PM.
Old 04-22-2016, 06:57 AM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

I would eliminate the entire fuel system on the car itself by running a pump directly to the carb inlet from a fuel container with new hoses, see if the problem is still present. From what you are describing it sounds like it is starved for fuel, is the filter in the Qjet clean and installed correctly ? Also, was the problem present before the carb rebuild ?
Old 04-22-2016, 08:38 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,553 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Who rebuilt the Q-Jet? There aren't many who do it properly. If it's one of the re-manufactured Q-Jet rebuilds it likely was done improperly. Lars Grimsrud in Colorado knows how to do them Do a search (Lars) over in the C3 section. Lots of happy customers including me. It could be a fuel line obstruction but I'm betting on the Q-Jet as the issue. Good luck.
Old 04-22-2016, 11:57 AM
70vetteinpieces
Burning Brakes

new fuel line going to electric pump. located pump near and below gas tank. Still used old line going to carb. But I checked it out with air and did a volume test pumping a few gallons of gas out in a clear bottle. Did not see any particles. 3 carbs - last one I got a kit and rebuilt it myself. Same issue will all 3. I know Lars is good but thought he retired from the q-jet business?
Old 04-22-2016, 01:42 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,553 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

I'm not sure if he's still doing the carbs. I thought he was. You can always try a Holley Spreadbore. I have one on my 68 427/390 Vette. Great carb.
Old 04-22-2016, 02:00 PM
hipocars1
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Maybe the filter sock on the sending unit is clogged.
Old 04-22-2016, 10:01 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

If the issue has been present with three different carbs it has to be in the lines somewhere, Hippo may be on to something with the pickup in the tank. As I said before take the entire existing fuel system out of the loop and see what happens.
Old 04-22-2016, 11:43 PM
70vetteinpieces
Burning Brakes

ran a hose through the filler neck and connected direct to fuel pump - bypassed the pickup tube. Still curious why pressure on inlet side of pump. Tomorrow moving gauge to immediate outlet of pump to see if the readings are consistent. If so then I know I have something going on in the line under the car. always a southern car so no rusty lines and did not see any repairs made to the line. all rubber hoses have been replaced
Old 05-04-2016, 11:40 PM
70vetteinpieces
Burning Brakes

I think I have a crack in the intake manifold. It's getting so hot it's boiling the fuel in the carb. Put a clear filter near the carb. almost full when cold but as it warms up it starts to drain and then I see bubbles.
Old 05-05-2016, 01:48 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

There is an accelerator pump out I believe that handles the stuff in todays gas a little better than the rebuilder kits that can give you the same symptom you have. A heat shield under the carb will help too.

People debate the gas is the same beg to differ

When mine gets to about 190 it doesnt want to idle anymore and no high heat underhood, anything under that its flawless. Had the car for a long long time and never had problems way back when the car would run warmer

Lars at least told to me only works on certain yr/model Qjets, try paging him in C3 tech. If he cant let Google Bob Jennings (north hills ca) is local, you can send it to him guarantee it will be perfect when you get it back .Have used im many many times
Has sun machines to curve distributors, old timer who has a racing history and decades of experience.

Last edited by cv67; 05-05-2016 at 01:49 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Big Oldmobile problem