Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

725 Horsepower NEW Mustang for under $40,000

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 03:37 PM
cg02175
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 725 Horsepower NEW Mustang for under $40,000

http://jalopnik.com/how-to-get-a-727...han-1775799271
Old 05-12-2016, 03:40 PM
cg02175
Racer

Corvette has always been known for being a good value, but this might give corvette a run for it's money. In the end, it is still a mustang.
Old 05-12-2016, 04:00 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

I'm sure the Camero and Challenger crowds will pay close attention.
Old 05-12-2016, 04:25 PM
kp
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 96 Posts

Did that for cheaper in 2011 lol. Bought a new '11 mustang GT base auto that was languishing on a dealer lot in NC for 25K, about 6K for the Roush 2.3 TVS with a mail order tune I tweaked a bit, some drag radials, a one piece driveshaft for safety on stock wheels and some stiffer coil springs and it was a solid 10 second car I drove every day for 1.5 years and its still going to this day with 40K miles on it.

My car running a 10.70 @ 131 with just those mods:

The newer 5.0s are no joke with a PD blower. Certainly no C7 but a lot of fun in its own way, surprised a lot of people on the highway lol.

Last edited by kp; 05-12-2016 at 04:28 PM.
Old 05-12-2016, 04:54 PM
Chemdawg99
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,659 Likes on 846 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by roadbike56
I'm sure the Camero and Challenger crowds will pay close attention.

Let me keep it real here...

There is a profound difference between a muscle car (Mustang, Camaro, Challenger, etc.) and a sports car (Corvette, Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini, etc.).

This car is obviously targeting fans of the former and not the latter.

This "new" Mustang (not new really, just adding a S/C), like the Hellcat, is obviously going to be a beast going in a straight line, but it won't be something I'd want to drive on a road course, or an autocross, or taking my wife through the twisties on the way to a nice getaway in the Poconos.

Car manufacturers realize the "horsepower sells cars".

725 HP is impressive and for $40k it's even more impressive.

The average person who buys this Mustang with S/C installed Roush-approved, won't be the typical Corvette owner, but rather the typical muscle car enthusiast. If you like to tinker with cars, Vettes included, then this car is targeting YOU.

Personally, I wouldn't mind having one parked next to my C7, but I fully realize that there are different beasts with different purposes.

Last edited by Chemdawg99; 05-12-2016 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Adding clarity of thought after reading OP article
Old 05-12-2016, 06:04 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

How do these motors hold up with an extra 300 hp...??

Can an owner expect to get to 100k miles without issues on water pump or alternator ....gaskets etc...?

For a weekend toy mods are cool but for everyday drivers I always worry mods that up the hp that much can lead to pain in the butt problems down the road...
Old 05-12-2016, 07:22 PM
kp
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JerriVette

Can an owner expect to get to 100k miles without issues on water pump or alternator ....gaskets etc...?

For a weekend toy mods are cool but for everyday drivers I always worry mods that up the hp that much can lead to pain in the butt problems down the road...
The HP has nothing to do with the water pump or alternator for a daily driver, unless it was a crappy add-on belt drive that stressed them. The pistons/connecting/rods/transmission and rear end would be my main concern. Not like your foot is going to be to the floor the whole time, they can go go a lot of miles unless you beat the crap out of it all the time or get greedy and try to get to much power out of stock parts.

Of course you will not have a powertrain warranty unless you buy the lower HP kits with one.
Old 05-12-2016, 10:06 PM
Bucknut2006
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Funny, that's the dealer in my home town in Ohio. I was shocked that they are a Rousch dealership considering it's a small town and probably doesn't sell many to the locals if ever.
Old 05-12-2016, 10:38 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,212 Likes on 824 Posts

Hmm, if the average vette owner buys one it will take him 50 years to get 100k on it and most likely won't care about water pump issues...
Old 05-13-2016, 01:07 AM
cg02175
Racer

Originally Posted by kp
The HP has nothing to do with the water pump or alternator for a daily driver, unless it was a crappy add-on belt drive that stressed them. The pistons/connecting/rods/transmission and rear end would be my main concern. Not like your foot is going to be to the floor the whole time, they can go go a lot of miles unless you beat the crap out of it all the time or get greedy and try to get to much power out of stock parts.

Of course you will not have a powertrain warranty unless you buy the lower HP kits with one.
From what I recall, this car comes with a 36,000/3 year warranty. The only question I have is whether other ford dealerships will warranty these cars or if you have to go to that particular dealership in Ohio.

Last edited by cg02175; 05-13-2016 at 01:08 AM.
Old 05-13-2016, 04:05 PM
kp
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by cg02175
From what I recall, this car comes with a 36,000/3 year warranty. The only question I have is whether other ford dealerships will warranty these cars or if you have to go to that particular dealership in Ohio.
All depends who did the blower, a genuine roush car will have a 3/36 and that can be handles through any Ford dealer, or maybe just authorized Roush dealers, not sure. The add-on blower has an optional warranty IF you use the roush tune and it was installed at an authorized dealer/installer. The stock tune is pretty weak (safe) so most dont keep it for long.

I believe its an aftermarket warranty, like an e-force, not the factory warranty. I didnt opt for the warranty because the original Roush/TVS for the new 5.0s didnt have a calibration for automatic cars at the time. Didnt matter really, 5.0 Coyote short blocks are cheap, 8.8 rear end parts are cheap and the 6r80 trans is strong and reasonable to rebuild.
Old 05-13-2016, 04:29 PM
sublime1996525
Team Owner

Received 200 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Chemdawg99

Let me keep it real here...

There is a profound difference between a muscle car (Mustang, Camaro, Challenger, etc.) and a sports car (Corvette, Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini, etc.).

This car is obviously targeting fans of the former and not the latter.

This "new" Mustang (not new really, just adding a S/C), like the Hellcat, is obviously going to be a beast going in a straight line, but it won't be something I'd want to drive on a road course, or an autocross, or taking my wife through the twisties on the way to a nice getaway in the Poconos.

Car manufacturers realize the "horsepower sells cars".

725 HP is impressive and for $40k it's even more impressive.

The average person who buys this Mustang with S/C installed Roush-approved, won't be the typical Corvette owner, but rather the typical muscle car enthusiast. If you like to tinker with cars, Vettes included, then this car is targeting YOU.

Personally, I wouldn't mind having one parked next to my C7, but I fully realize that there are different beasts with different purposes.
Don't forget the Miata, it's a sports car too. Also the new Mustang's do really good on a road course. It's not something most Corvette owner's are going to do anyway...
Old 05-13-2016, 11:39 PM
BHP
Le Mans Master

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Would rather own a Hellcat.
Old 05-14-2016, 06:17 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Originally Posted by hawkgfr
Hmm, if the average vette owner buys one it will take him 50 years to get 100k on it and most likely won't care about water pump ssues...
Some of us drive our corvettes everyday....I drive about 11k miles a year. I put over 98k miles on my present corvette....

It's inexpensive fun...I don't go for that saving crap for the next owner, this is my third brand new vette.

My question stands can these cars modded with a supercharger be used as daily drivers..

As far as compared to the hellcat it's putting out an amazing 727 hp for 40 grand...

That's pretty cool as long as it's acceleration is better than the much heavier hellcat or is it a paper tiger?

It's 30 grand less than a new hellcat and it's a dam good looking car.
Old 05-14-2016, 12:48 PM
Crabbers
Le Mans Master

Received 116 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by cg02175
Corvette has always been known for being a good value, but this might give corvette a run for it's money. In the end, it is still a mustang.

And a Corvette is just a Chevy.

The elitist attitude
Old 05-14-2016, 06:38 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Originally Posted by Crabbers

And a Corvette is just a Chevy.

The elitist attitude
Anybody buy one and run at either the track or against the hellcat?

Cool car!
Old 05-14-2016, 07:27 PM
kp
Melting Slicks

Some of us drive our corvettes everyday....I drive about 11k miles a year. I put over 98k miles on my present corvette....

It's inexpensive fun...I don't go for that saving crap for the next owner, this is my third brand new vette.

My question stands can these cars modded with a supercharger be used as daily drivers..

As far as compared to the hellcat it's putting out an amazing 727 hp for 40 grand...

That's pretty cool as long as it's acceleration is better than the much heavier hellcat or is it a paper tiger?

It's 30 grand less than a new hellcat and it's a dam good looking car.

Read my post above, yes it can be daily driven. Not only did the car run 10.70s but I drove it every day, rain and snow, for a year and 15K miles. then sold it to a guy in TX and he is over 40K miles last I talked to him a year ago. I also built a 2013 GT premium with the same mods but I used a milder tune and it just ran 10.90s, but they still got 25mpg and you wouldnt know they had the power until you floored it. I also used very conservative tunes and pump gas, people with upgraded heat exchangers, smaller pulleys, better fuel, headers/no cats, drag wheels and tires and more aggressive tunes get in the 9s.

As far as a hellcat, its 900lbs lighter - do the math.

The Roush kit is OEM quality as well, only issue I had on two cars was a bad idler pulley bearing. This is a pic of my old 2013 GT, same engine as the 2015+ mustang, they just went to an independent rear end and updated the body. Looks pretty OEM doesnt it?

Its not a C7, wont argue that, love the C7. But the new 5.0 with a supercharger is pretty potent and the 15+ body isnt hard to look at. Only reason I built one was I seen a guy running one at a NMCA event and didnt believe a stock car with just a blower and tune could run 10s. So I built one and I was a believer, even built a second one
Attached Images  

Get notified of new replies

To 725 Horsepower NEW Mustang for under $40,000

Old 05-17-2016, 09:48 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

I think it's awesome....love to see a few runs against a hellcat at 70 grand to see which is faster....

Hope to see it soon...

Way to go ford.....and the dealer...

A forty grand starting price is freakin awesome and it's got a warranty to boot...

3 years 30k miles ...impressive...
Old 05-26-2016, 12:34 PM
hyteck9
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just bought a 2015 Roush Stage3 mustang numbered production car.

After changing out the crappy Cooper tires.. I gotta say , it is a really nice car...

.. I mean.. REALLY NICE.

I bought it because it was last years model, discounted fast cheap horsepower with free money 0% financing...

Now that I have it, um.. wow.. man.. It is really growing on me. It is faster than my 2013 427 was, seems to corner just as well (Thanks SuperSport tires) and I think it is nicer inside in most every way. Airconditioned seats, flawless bluetooth integration, controls are super easy to operate...

It is way closer to C7 Z06 performance that I ever would have guessed, and less than half the cost.

Roush put a super stiff suspension on it though.. would have preferred their adjustable kit be on the car to soften the ride.. but oh well.

This is not the mustang I remember, that is for sure. (School'd)
Old 05-31-2016, 10:59 AM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by hyteck9
I just bought a 2015 Roush Stage3 mustang numbered production car.

After changing out the crappy Cooper tires.. I gotta say , it is a really nice car...

.. I mean.. REALLY NICE.

I bought it because it was last years model, discounted fast cheap horsepower with free money 0% financing...

Now that I have it, um.. wow.. man.. It is really growing on me. It is faster than my 2013 427 was, seems to corner just as well (Thanks SuperSport tires) and I think it is nicer inside in most every way. Airconditioned seats, flawless bluetooth integration, controls are super easy to operate...

It is way closer to C7 Z06 performance that I ever would have guessed, and less than half the cost.

Roush put a super stiff suspension on it though.. would have preferred their adjustable kit be on the car to soften the ride.. but oh well.

This is not the mustang I remember, that is for sure. (School'd)
Hey do you have the MT82 manual or the automatic? I would think that Chinese manual would be pretty sketchy with that much power, but I have heard the automatic is quite stout. If it's the manual, I'm guessing a clutch upgrade at least?

Quick Reply: 725 Horsepower NEW Mustang for under $40,000