Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Camaro Z/28 prototype caught on video crashing on Nurburgring

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 07:22 PM
agapsdiver
Burning Brakes

Received 247 Likes on 147 Posts

Default Camaro Z/28 prototype caught on video crashing on Nurburgring

Not really sure why they crashed.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:29 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,444 Likes on 2,270 Posts

Left rear wheel locked up. Why that happened would be interesting to know.
Old 05-12-2016, 10:02 PM
Bucknut2006
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Looked like all the wheels locked up as if it ABS was turned off.
Old 05-13-2016, 06:25 AM
Frodo
Melting Slicks

Received 586 Likes on 266 Posts

Looks to me like both rears locked up, you can see smoke on both sides of the rear, followed closely by the front brakes. The fronts locking up looks like the driver went into panic mode. I can't see why the driver would have gotten on the brakes so hard in the first place. And yeah, where was the anti-lock feature? Could the engine have seized unexpectedly? As if you'd ever expect that. ABS wouldn't help the rear wheels in a seizure, but should work on the front brakes. They sure did cover that car fast.
Old 05-13-2016, 10:21 AM
RJ-92
Race Director

Received 328 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Frodo
Looks to me like both rears locked up, you can see smoke on both sides of the rear, followed closely by the front brakes. The fronts locking up looks like the driver went into panic mode. I can't see why the driver would have gotten on the brakes so hard in the first place. And yeah, where was the anti-lock feature? Could the engine have seized unexpectedly? As if you'd ever expect that. ABS wouldn't help the rear wheels in a seizure, but should work on the front brakes. They sure did cover that car fast.
Wasn't engine lock up0, as he pulled it off the shoulder after the crash.

The locking of the brakes is curious though, as the ABS would have had to been off and with those sticky tires he really would have had to stand on the brakes, unless something else is at play here

You are spot on with the rears locking first. Makes me think he grabbed the wrong gear downshifting (1st instead of 3rd?) While entering the corner and after he let off the clutch and the rears locked, he then panicked, standing on the brakes locking the fronts too for a second. Idk if that would over-ride the newer ABS systems. The older systems you can still get some smoke and locking on initial bite while panic braking.

Get notified of new replies

To Camaro Z/28 prototype caught on video crashing on Nurburgring

Quick Reply: Camaro Z/28 prototype caught on video crashing on Nurburgring