Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Holley 2 barrel tuning -Volvo Penta 2004

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 02:42 PM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Holley 2 barrel tuning -Volvo Penta 2004

I have a 2004 Glastron with a GM 5.0 (305) Volvo Penta with Holley 2 barrel. I took it out of heated storage (my garage) this weekend, finally. It will start easily and runs very smooth.

I'm noticing this issue and not sure where to start with it:

1) When cold- it starts and idles with zero throttle at around ~600rpm and will stay there for a few good minutes without any throttle input.

2) When still cold and within a minute of starting, I give it some throttle to rev it up once, going back to zero throttle, the idle will now stay at ~1200 rpm. It will stay at this rpm whether in gear on in neutral.

3) When at running temp (160F), after ~10 minutes of running, the electric choke would have timed out long ago, the idle will still sit closer to ~800-1000 rpm after a rev up and going back to zero throttle.

It has electric choke and I have made sure the leads are nice and tight for power so there should not be an intermittent restart of the electric choke.

Does this sound more like a classic choke problem or would a simple idle speed adjustment be the place to go next?

I want to adjust as little as possible from the settings that are mostly working.

Appreciate any assistance!
Old 05-23-2016, 08:35 PM
bob guzzy
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Make sure the choke is wide open before you turn the hot idle screw, you could be turning the cold idle screw.

The throttle linkage should drop the idle to almost nothing, when its off the cold idle cam.