Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Kind of off-topic: Audi, Takata and C7 . . .

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 09:13 AM
JonMN
Safety Car

Received 1,023 Likes on 616 Posts
Default Kind of off-topic: Audi, Takata and C7 . . .

Here's a surprise! Months ago I received a recall notice from Audi pertaining to the Takata airbags, but there was no remedy at this time.

Going in to trade my Audi on a C7, I get a note saying that even the local Audi dealer will not take my Audi since there is no remedy at this time! (the Chevy dealer contacted the Audi dealer to market the car)

Still working on alternatives, but kind of an unusual train of events . . .
Old 05-29-2016, 09:29 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Yep, my dealership has about 50 trade-ins sitting at the remote lot depreciating and rotting away due to airbag stop sale. Manufacturers are saying it will be 4th quarter 2016 or 1st quarter 2017 before they get fixed.

As you found out, dealers are just going to start denying sale to people with unmovable trades. Just way too expensive.
Old 05-29-2016, 09:44 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Situation sound ripe for a consumer class action law suit.

Regardless of what the issue is or who caused it, Audi should step up and either do a buy back or take every car being traded in elsewhere back at the allowed price.

The consumer should not have to bite the bullet on this on. First VW and now Audi...nice huh?.
Old 05-29-2016, 09:47 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SG_Ret

Regardless of what the issue is or who caused it, Audi should step up and either do a buy back or take every car being traded in elsewhere back at the allowed price.

The consumer should not have to bite the bullet on this on. First VW and now Audi...nice huh?.
What do you mean Audi? Takata recall affects almost every car on the road, including Ferrari and other brands that aren't "all over the news."

Dealers tell other dealers calling for a buy bid that they aren't buyers every day for a myriad of reasons, usually because the trade sucks and they don't want to sit on it for months. In this case it's presumably because of the airbag issue.
Old 05-29-2016, 09:50 AM
6spdC6
Team Owner

Location: Northern NYs Adirondack Mountains,http://www.visitsacandaga.com.
Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SG_Ret

Will Vettes (any generation) be hit by this Charlie Foxtrot? That company does make a lot of product for many different manufactures!
Old 05-29-2016, 09:58 AM
C8Jake
Race Director

Received 5,415 Likes on 2,535 Posts

Originally Posted by JonMN
Here's a surprise!
Old 05-29-2016, 10:16 AM
oldC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,226 Likes on 734 Posts

My wife 2015 RDX is sitting in the garage over two months and counting. Acura told her not to drive it until they get new air bags.They gave her a rental. They said 2 -6 months WTF.
Old 05-29-2016, 10:17 AM
JonMN
Safety Car

OK, update: I did get quite a nice offer from my home-town dealer . .. on this in stock Stingray 2LT. Might have preferred 3LT, but just for the leather--I never use Nav anyway.

I had not really considered red with black accents, but this is pretty cool . . .

Old 05-29-2016, 10:38 AM
Heidemarie
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by 6spdC6
Will Vettes (any generation) be hit by this Charlie Foxtrot? That company does make a lot of product for many different manufactures!
I have tried to find out for months now (Since May 2015) whether our vette has the TAKATA airbags. Sent PM to GM Customer Care and to Chevrolet Consumer Support team (cac@chevrolet.com). Both times got the same answer "your VIN has no open recall ". I already knew that since I kept checking the recalled VINs. They never answered my question of WHICH AIRBAGs are in our Vette. Now even Ferari has recalls; that surely makes me wonder again, especially since we live in Florida where moisture prevails. If anyone has info on which type of airbags are in the C7 vettes, please let us know. Safety is a great concern.
Save the Wave
Heidi
Old 05-29-2016, 10:55 AM
Kamran
Pro

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Heidemarie
I have tried to find out for months now (Since May 2015) whether our vette has the TAKATA airbags. Sent PM to GM Customer Care and to Chevrolet Consumer Support team (cac@chevrolet.com). Both times got the same answer "your VIN has no open recall ". I already knew that since I kept checking the recalled VINs. They never answered my question of WHICH AIRBAGs are in our Vette. Now even Ferari has recalls; that surely makes me wonder again, especially since we live in Florida where moisture prevails. If anyone has info on which type of airbags are in the C7 vettes, please let us know. Safety is a great concern.
Save the Wave
Heidi
May be this is the appropriate question for the "ask Tadge question"?

As far as Audi, I wouldn't go near them with a ten foot pole. Ended up trading mine in at far below wholesale value. Dealer just shipped it to a wholesaler that takes their junk cars!

At one time customers were trying to start a class action law suit because the impeller in water pump was composite plastic (like most modern German cars are now). But theirs would brake up and seize the hot turbo engines. Not only Audi refused to correct the impeller quality issue, but continued to replace water pumps with the same faulty impellers. I went with an aftermarket pump with alloy impeller after my engine blew up! $10,000 later and Audi would not lift a finger to help out. They were a piece of junk in the 80's and still are. They make them look pretty, and win races, great marketing strategy. Never again....
Old 05-29-2016, 11:23 AM
6spdC6
Team Owner

Location: Northern NYs Adirondack Mountains,http://www.visitsacandaga.com.
Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by JonMN
OK, update: I did get quite a nice offer from my home-town dealer . .. on this in stock Stingray 2LT. Might have preferred 3LT, but just for the leather--I never use Nav anyway.

I had not really considered red with black accents, but this is pretty cool . . .

]
Nice that is just like my car!--
Old 05-29-2016, 04:10 PM
JonMN
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Kamran
May be this is the appropriate question for the "ask Tadge question"?

As far as Audi, I wouldn't go near them with a ten foot pole. Ended up trading mine in at far below wholesale value. Dealer just shipped it to a wholesaler that takes their junk cars!

At one time customers were trying to start a class action law suit because the impeller in water pump was composite plastic (like most modern German cars are now). But theirs would brake up and seize the hot turbo engines. Not only Audi refused to correct the impeller quality issue, but continued to replace water pumps with the same faulty impellers. I went with an aftermarket pump with alloy impeller after my engine blew up! $10,000 later and Audi would not lift a finger to help out. They were a piece of junk in the 80's and still are. They make them look pretty, and win races, great marketing strategy. Never again....
It's hard to support a company with an experience like that. The rational part of me knows it's just one car, but the emotional part of me makes it hard to grant a second chance. For me, it was a different brand. Had 3 nice Audi's over a 25 year span with no problem. But my one 911 (2003) burned oil (1 qt per 600 miles which is actually in spec), went thru a clutch really fast, needed two radiators replaced due to corrosion ($3000) and finally a new engine (at least this was under warranty). So no P cars for me!

Last edited by JonMN; 05-29-2016 at 06:11 PM.
Old 05-29-2016, 06:05 PM
Lou7787
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Congrats Jon. Nice choice.
Old 05-30-2016, 02:10 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
What do you mean Audi? Takata recall affects almost every car on the road, including Ferrari and other brands that aren't "all over the news."
Ford also. The Wife's '13 Mustang GT is in the recall. I just got a letter from Ford stating they airbags should be in by the 4th quarter, so I'm looking for them around the 1st or 2nd quarter of next year.
Old 05-30-2016, 04:36 PM
Bucknut2006
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

My Mazda has been affected by the recall multiple times over the last 2 years. First the passenger airbag without an estimated part date. That was taken care of and then a few months later the driver side with a temporary fix but no replacement date. Not sure I ever received the actual letter for a replacement airbag on the driver's side.
Old 05-31-2016, 10:34 AM
JonMN
Safety Car

Update! Bought the C7 above yesterday, so the Audi is officially someone else's problem. Had a great top-down drive last night too.

Get notified of new replies

To Kind of off-topic: Audi, Takata and C7 . . .

Quick Reply: Kind of off-topic: Audi, Takata and C7 . . .