Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

2017 the Viper is done

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 07:14 PM
White Out
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Cybermind
Ok, my mistake with the weight. But you don't have to be arrogant. This is a discussion. However, I stand by the outdated engine comment. I love the fact that it's a NA V10 but in today's standards, a smaller FI V8 would've probably given it a better chance at survival.
How so?
Old 07-08-2016, 10:00 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by Tennis & Golf Nut
A freind of mine who flips cars and makes over a Million per year doing so, said buy a Viper today, drive it, and in 10 years you'll get More than you paid for it.

That's the right way to buy a car.
Good luck with that.
Gen IV coupes are selling in the $60-70k range with low miles against a $90-100k MSRP and Gen IV ACR's have been selling in the $70-80k range for the last few years against $105-110k MSRP. Adjusting for inflation, you'll get about 1/2 of your money back in 10-years.
Nobody knows what the Gen V ACR will bring in the future, but the Gen V's have not held strong resale value.
Clearly, your friend doesn't know the Viper resale market.
S.
Old 07-09-2016, 11:37 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

I think the latest version is a slam dunk. For me, it feels like the same in-your-face-deal-with-it approach that worked for Viper in the 90s didn't age well. Still a charming attribute in the Gen 1 and 2 versions, like a Shelby Daytona couple. In the year 2017, it's not received so enthusiastically by the "sophisticated" buyer which probably looks at the car as cartoony.
Old 07-10-2016, 06:20 PM
Mr turbo rotary
Team Owner

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Cybermind
Two biggest issues with the Viper were:
1) V10 truck engine
2) Big and heavy

It could not have survived any longer. Dodge needed to develop a completely new, smaller, more efficient engine and the chassis had to go on a diet. They just did not have the funds to properly develop the Viper to get it to today's standards. Just comparing it to a new Corvette is embarrassing.

So yeah, it's cancellation was to be expected. But, I do believe that whoever has a Viper now should hold on to it. It's future collectability has now been cast in stone.
I recently watched the latest ACR Viper driven by Randy Pobst at Laguna Seca. It was wiping the floor with million dollar super cars. Do a search.
Old 07-10-2016, 07:15 PM
VetteGirlMA
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Well I am going to hang on to my '13 GTS for as long as I can and just keep driving and enjoying it. It's really just as fun a car to drive as the vette is and I think they complement each other. It would have been interesting to see if Chrysler would have been willing to stuff a v8 hemi like the 6.4l SRT engines or the 6.2 Hellcat into something sporty in the future to compete with the corvette. If anyone can make another competitor to the vette Chrysler could do it again.
Old 07-12-2016, 06:37 PM
danziger
Team Owner

Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

The Viper is a fabulous track car. Period. And it had better be with that aero package.

An everyday car? A long trip car? A semi-practical car? Only to a tiny, tiny segment of people. Even most Viper owners won't get close to realizing their full potential.

Sucks that the Viper is going away...I grew up with them as my friend is a Viper owner/fanatic.
Old 07-12-2016, 09:22 PM
White Out
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by danziger
The Viper is a fabulous track car. Period. And it had better be with that aero package.

An everyday car? A long trip car? A semi-practical car? Only to a tiny, tiny segment of people. Even most Viper owners won't get close to realizing their full potential.
I completely agree.

Old 07-12-2016, 10:11 PM
Azure
Heel & Toe

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sad day. I nearly bought a second Gen GTS over my c6, only reason I didn't is the practicality of the corvette over the viper.
Old 07-12-2016, 10:38 PM
Capn Hook
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

I'll hang on to my '96 GTS til I die!
Old 07-13-2016, 06:51 AM
Tennis & Golf Nut
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by Capn Hook
I'll hang on to my '96 GTS til I die!
Pics
Old 07-13-2016, 02:27 PM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by White Out
I completely agree.

Old 07-14-2016, 12:59 AM
OmenSpeedWorks
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Viper will be back...give it time. Fiat/Chrysler/Ferrari just needs some time to get their chit in order. Viper will return with mag shocks, dual clutch and a ferrari motor.
Old 07-16-2016, 12:16 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,447 Likes on 2,803 Posts

Originally Posted by OmenSpeedWorks
Viper will be back...give it time. Fiat/Chrysler/Ferrari just needs some time to get their chit in order. Viper will return with mag shocks, dual clutch and a ferrari motor.
I'm quite confident that the "Viper" will return too. I don't think it will be what you're saying, but it will likely be platform shared with a Maserati, and maybe an Alfa halo car of some sort. I'm sure they'll stick with the V10, a DSG is a probable offering.

It may be called a Viper, but I have my doubts it will be a Viper. It likely will be dramatically softened and end up something more akin to an Aston Martin. A fast, luxurious grand touring car, rather than a brash in your face ax wielding maniac of a car that I love so much.
Old 07-16-2016, 05:06 AM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE
I'm quite confident that the "Viper" will return too. I don't think it will be what you're saying, but it will likely be platform shared with a Maserati, and maybe an Alfa halo car of some sort. I'm sure they'll stick with the V10, a DSG is a probable offering.

It may be called a Viper, but I have my doubts it will be a Viper. It likely will be dramatically softened and end up something more akin to an Aston Martin. A fast, luxurious grand touring car, rather than a brash in your face ax wielding maniac of a car that I love so much.
Old 07-16-2016, 01:26 PM
bikerjim2000
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mountain sized motors are going away, again.... Very surprised with the price of gasoline so low currently. I have been enjoying my old V8's as much as possible because its sure no fun going 12 Mpg when its north of 4$ a Gallon. Paid 1.93 today for the cheap stuff..LONG LIVE CORVETTE!
Old 07-16-2016, 04:16 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,447 Likes on 2,803 Posts

Originally Posted by bikerjim2000
Mountain sized motors are going away, again.... Very surprised with the price of gasoline so low currently. I have been enjoying my old V8's as much as possible because its sure no fun going 12 Mpg when its north of 4$ a Gallon. Paid 1.93 today for the cheap stuff..LONG LIVE CORVETTE!
I personally think cheap gas is here to stay for a while. Our economy is weak, as is the global economy. A spike is gas prices will be totally unsustainable and stagnate the growth. And right now, OPEC has lost much of its control over market prices due to many new sources being found, and Saudi Arabia trying to squash any further exploration and development elsewhere by not limiting production. The Saudis have learned that they can't manipulate the market as much as they'd like anymore, and so aren't likely to significantly cut production any time soon.

The biggest issue we have in the US that's hurting V8s is CAFE and the EPA nonsense. Hopefully we get a new administration that removes CAFE and the groups running it, and lets the market dictate what fuel economy is required. We don't need the government intervening in that at all, consumers do a pretty good job of driving fuel economy improvements on their own.
Old 07-16-2016, 09:35 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

^ I generally agree, barring geopolitical upheaval which interrupts oil supplies and/or the transportation thereof...

Get notified of new replies

To 2017 the Viper is done

Old 08-14-2016, 05:05 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Tennis & Golf Nut
This is the color combination I'm leaning towards.

I can choose any color combination from 8,000 color schemes.

http://www.dodge.com/en/viper/customizer/

Vipers have flawless paint.
Looks nice. I also like the silver with the black and red ACR stripe. The silver car looks like something out of the Terminator. White with blue stripes or blue with white stripes is more of the traditional viper look.
Old 08-14-2016, 05:07 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Snorman
Good luck with that.
Gen IV coupes are selling in the $60-70k range with low miles against a $90-100k MSRP and Gen IV ACR's have been selling in the $70-80k range for the last few years against $105-110k MSRP. Adjusting for inflation, you'll get about 1/2 of your money back in 10-years.
Nobody knows what the Gen V ACR will bring in the future, but the Gen V's have not held strong resale value.
Clearly, your friend doesn't know the Viper resale market.
S.
actually you are being VERY generous with your numbers...I've seen gen IVs from the mid 30s. and up depending on mileage.
Old 08-14-2016, 05:11 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by OmenSpeedWorks
didn't Ferrari spin off from Fiat? Aren't they 2 different companies now? That aside, I would not want a Ferrari motor in my viper (nor its maintenance and repair costs).

I agree though, it will be back in some form if the economy does not implode that is.

Quick Reply: 2017 the Viper is done